Will Honda’s team race in 2009? (Poll)

Rumours linking Bruno Senna to a Honda rescue deal have been quashed

Rumours linking Bruno Senna to a Honda rescue deal have been quashed

In December we did a poll on whether The Team Formerly Known as Honda would participate in the 2009 F1 championship. Half of F1 Fanatic readers thought they would, but two months later are we more or less confident about the fate of F1′s tenth team?

[poll id="45"]

There has been a lot of development in the Honda saga since the last poll. First Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu ruled himself out of buying Honda’s team.

David Richards has also publicly announced he is not buying them. Although his Prodrive outfit no longer have Subaru’s World Rally Championship effort to run they are tackling the Le Mans 24 Hours LMP1 class with Aston Martin instead.

Rumours last week suggested that a group of Brazilian sponsors including oil company Petrobras were poised to save the team and install Bruno Senna alongside Jenson Button. But Petrobras have now denied the claims as well.

New rumours have linked Richard Branson’s Virgin Group to the team. There has also been persistent speculation that a management buy-out led by team principal Nick Fry could happen.

On the positive side, Honda may be inclined to favour a sale as it would prevent them having to pay large sums in redundancy pay to the Brackley factory’s 700-plus employees. Mercedes has confirmed it is ready to supply engines to the team. But time is running out.

Do you think Honda will be on the grid at the first race of the season? Or will F1 be reduced to just 18 cars? Cast your vote above and leave a comment below.

40 comments on Will Honda’s team race in 2009? (Poll)

1 2 3
  1. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th February 2009, 21:14

Whoever beat me to the first vote is more optimistic than I am!

2. I’m going to be optimistic and say yes but I’m sceptical they will make it through a full season. I hope I’m wrong…

• I voted don’t know, but I agree that if they do make it, it may not be for a full season.

Unless they 1-2′ed Australia, in which case their value will escalate faster and higher than anything in the past 6 months. Or ever. whichever you prefer.

3. Smitty said on 17th February 2009, 21:55

Time has already run out. Honda won’t make it to the grid.

4. I’m going to have to go with no. I don’t see how the current management can possibly succeed without Honda’s support if they couldn’t succeed with it. I think it’s time for Nick Fry to stand aside, as his answer to any problem is to smile it off.

5. I was optomistic to start with. But as time has gone by it seems that putting a deal together is harder than I first thought. We keep passing the deadlines: first Honda’s to complete the sale but more recently (and more significantly) deadlines to be ready for the season. I find it hard to imagine they are going to be ready for the season, at least in a competitive form. With each day it becomes harder for them to be properly ready and the chances of a sale fall. I wish them sucess but I’m not optomistic.

6. beneboy said on 17th February 2009, 23:17

I’d like to say yes but I’m going to have to say no.

They’d never get the team ready in time.

7. verasaki said on 18th February 2009, 0:06

i’m actually liking the richard branson rumour-visions of f1 cars fueled by cooking oil rocket fuel, i guess. but i still have to vote no.

8. If Branson bought into the team and then put Eddie Irvine in charge, it would be quite funny.

• Too Good said on 18th February 2009, 12:44

@Michel – I think you meant Jordan and not Irvine. The Last guy on the grid,whose team was connected to common fans

9. I too was optimistic at first, but I’m afraid time may have run out on Honda. It’s a shame too, I’m sure I’m not the only one who was looking forward to seeing if their gamble of sacrificing the 2008 season to develop the 2009 car was going to pay off.

10. i m optimistic but time is surely running out.the things needs to run fast

11. I’m going with yes, as stranger things have happened in F1. Even if there were no buyer, Honda will put up money to make it to Australia to at least make it look as though the team are more viable for a potential purchaser, even on a more commercially-based system for marketing purposes, which I think would be good Virgin’s promotional side perfectly (airlines, mobiles, cola, etc). I think that Virgin could take them over, in fact I hope they do, and if that happens then a full 2009 season is secure.

12. Eric M. said on 18th February 2009, 4:04

I’d also like to say yes, but I think it’s too late in the game now, especially considering that the regs have changed quite dramatically.

Shame, cause an 18 car grid is going to look kinda weak, imo. :(

13. They haven’t made it to testing, and they haven’t positively identified either a new owner or confirmed the Management buyout by Fry/Brawn.
    I am very sceptical they will make it onto the grid. What is the minimum testing/approval time they can have from the FIA before the car is allowed to race? If we can, we should count down to that, and if the car does or doesn’t appear by then, we will know for certain.

14. Pete Walker said on 18th February 2009, 11:44

I voted yes.

Super Aguri made it to the grid in 2006 with practically no running and they progressed pretty well from there. Okay, it was a tried and tested Honda chassis and there weren’t the huge rule changes we have this year, but hey, the world is a gloomy place right now and its good to be optimistic. :)

15. The real stinker in all this Honda speculation is Mercedes’ insistence on a full year’s commitment to engine purchases. That won’t happen without a sponsor or a buyer with cash.

Which is why I voted no.

1 2 3