BBC F1 plans announced today (updated: full details below)

Melbourne will be the first BBC F1 broadcast for 13 years

Melbourne will be the first BBC F1 broadcast for 13 years

The details of BBC?s F1 coverage this year are due to be announced in a press conference today.

We already know a lot about their TV plans for 2009. Today I expect some big announcements about their online coverage.

What we already know

Commentators

Jonathan Legard (former BBC F1 radio commentator) will be joined by former ITV man Martin Brundle in the commentary booth. Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie will supply added commentary from the pits.

Keep an eye on McKenzie’s Twitter profile as she’s planning to drop some early hints about the coverage on there this morning.

Studio coverage will be presented by Jake Humphrey with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan.

Coverage

The early race coverage details seen last week indicate that not only will the races and qualifying be shown live, but the practice sessions as well. However it?s not clear if the Saturday practice will be shown (ITV missed it last year) and if it will just be confined to ??red button? coverage.

They also promise ??interactive forums?? during the race which are likely to take the same form as those used during football matches, where BBC?s live text reports include comments from people watching the game.

So why the press conference?

People usually call press conferences when they?ve got something to announce. But we already know a lot about what the BBC?s got planned for next year, which leads me to suspect they?ve got something big up their sleeves. What could it be?

We?ve had signals in recent weeks that the powers-that-be in Formula 1 have finally woken up to the existence of the internet. Max Mosley wants F1?s online coverage to improve, and FOTA will discuss it in their future F1 plans press conference next week.

Bernie Ecclestone, whose suspicion and hostility towards the internet (the ??ether?, as he calls it) is well known, recently said it was the responsibility of television companies to cater for internet broadcasting.

The BBC has at least 19 years? worth of archived ??Grand Prix?? programmes, covering most of the races from 1978 to 1996. Many F1 fans would love to be able to watch this material online legally ?ǣ just look how popular such material is on Youtube and torrent sites.

At the moment the BBC can?t make use of that material because FOCA owns the copyright on it. Has Ecclestone lifted that restriction to allow BBC to use the material on their websites? Perhaps ?ǣ a few months ago a video from the 1993 European Grand Prix at Donington Park appeared on BBC Sport.

Three years ago Ashley Highfield, then the head of BBC?s Future Media and Technology Division, indicated this was a strategy BBC wished to pursue:

We?ve got one of the world?s largest archives, if not the largest archive. And yet, because we?ve got so few channels ?ǣ routes to our audience ?ǣ inevitably 99.9% of that content stays on the shelves. We ought to liberate it and make it available, how, when and where our audience would like to consumer it.

I expect much of tomorrow?s announcement to focus on how the BBC will cover F1 online.

And they might mention something about a certain song from Fleetwood Mac’s record-selling album, “Rumours”.

Share your thoughts on what the BBC is going to announce and post updates from the press conference below.

More on BBC’s 2009 F1 coverage

55 comments on BBC F1 plans announced today (updated: full details below)

1 2 3
  1. The issue remains the same as last year for me. Like ITV which allowed only U.K fans to watch F1 online,is it going to be same with BBC?
    It is possible for a person to watch F1 online on BBC who is not in UK?
    any idea?

• It is possible if you can access via a UK based proxy server so the beeb or whoever see you as being uk based.

I can’t offer such a service to you but it is possible.

Jeez, Keith – writing articles saying ‘today’ and it’s barely gone midnight….dedication indeed.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 24th February 2009, 13:31

Hope not, kaushal. When you pay a licence fee, like me,then you’re more than welcome to watch ‘our’ feed. Until then……..

2. Pointer said on 24th February 2009, 0:56

Never going to happen unfortunately, kaushal, the BBC only have rights to ‘broadcast’ within the UK. I remember there was a previous post last year about how to use/where to find a proxy to access UK only content (not that anyone using this site would ever use such techniques for illegal purposes).

Getting goose bumps already… dummm… dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum dum. duum dum… (think The Chain by Fleetwood Mac).

3. Pointer said on 24th February 2009, 0:58

@Adam, if Kieth is dedicated, what does that make us??

4. As a non brit, this red button thing i’ve heard about, what is it? something satellite/pay per view type of thing?

• It’s an interactive option available free on the BBC’s digital output – literally, a red button you press on the remote control to get an extra menu of services. All you need to get it is a relatively cheap set-top box or suitably-adapted TV – no additional payments required.

We never pay directly for BBC services thanks to the licence fee (which I strongly support, I think I get my money’s worth several times over) of about £140 a year.

However this is very, very heavily enforced, to the extent that if they don’t have you on record as paying it they will come round your house and check for televisions before taking you to court for non-payment. You can also cannot buy TV equipment without submitting an address that then goes into the database…

Despite this heavy-handed nonsense, which stirs up an awful lot of resentment (as you may imagine) I think our public service broadcasting is something to be really proud of. The BBC contributes hugely to this country’s image and standing abroad and its TV and radio programming is more than worth the few pounds a month I am asked to contribute.

(Dons tin hat and retreats behind sandbags)

• The other thing you need for a red button service is enough digital signal to receive it. Which is why I can’t access it through the set-top box I have :(

• Surely they’ll have to sort that out before switch-over? Not much consolation at the moment, I agree…

• beneboy said on 24th February 2009, 19:44

LJH

Well said mate !

The BBC is fantastic & by far the best value for money broadcaster available.

I’m so glad to have F1 back where it belongs & without adverts.

5. Whewbacca the Cookie said on 24th February 2009, 6:52

It’s sort of an interactive TV. There is a button (red) on the remote. If you are watching BBC on Sky, Virgin or Freeview a menu pops up. You then select to read news, check scores etc. And during some special broadcasts you can select different instances (like a parallel game) or focus on a select player on the field.

Hope that helps a bit.

6. ceedas said on 24th February 2009, 8:08

There’s plenty of information that seems to be common knowledge but has yet to be announced officially, so I’d have thought a lot of information today will be confirmation of those details.

I’ll be honest – I’m not so much into watching F1 online. The quality just won’t be good enough. I’m not saying I support this general direction, but it would be preferable for me if they just replayed old races (or the highlights of them) over race weekends when there’s nothing else happening on track (between GP2 and the race on a Sunday morning for example).

• What I’d love to see would be BBC using both freview “BBCi” channels (300 and 301 IIRC) for alternate views of the race (one solely devoted to onboards and perhaps the 2nd for an uninterrupted pit lane so we can see what teams are getting ready).

7. Woohoo…LeeMck twitter feed confirms that “every time an F1 car is on a track you’ll be able to see it, either via red button or the BBC sport website”.

8. David said on 24th February 2009, 8:44

Off topic…sorry.
    Did anybody hear about effects of new aerodynamics on cars following another one? During the test it should have happened that someone followed another car, and experienced the changes of stramline effects due to the new rules. Any positive effect reported? Did any driver confirm that with the new rules it is easier to follow another car and try to overtake?

9. David said on 24th February 2009, 8:53

Thanks Keith.

10. ajokay said on 24th February 2009, 8:54

I’d quite happily take red button live practise coverage over no practice coverage at all.

Seems like my race weekends this year are going to be completely taken up with F1, rather than just a couple of hours on saturday, and 3 on sunday.

11. Going back to why any non UK residents cannot watch F1 online, because we have to pay TV licences the BBC would get bombarded with complaints if it offered it free to other countries. Rubbish I know but it is all the same as watching other sports owned by other TV channels, eg Sky or Setanta!

12. Brendan said on 24th February 2009, 10:25

Lee’s twitter: Every time an F1 car is on track, you will be able to watch it on the BBC whether it be through the Red Button or on BBC Sport website.

I think she just means that BBC will be showing the world feed of every practice, qual, and race session, either online or red button. Not that you will be able to specifically watch the onboard from any car you like.

13. Keirdre said on 24th February 2009, 10:42

I think Brendan’s interpretation is correct: Lee’s Twitter means only that the BBC will cover each session by some means or another. I don’t think you’ll be able to select which car to watch.

14. I suspect they will show a video of the opening and closing sequences they expect to use for the program. I hope they will put up some old race archive material online with a history of F1 timeline. I hope they announce all the practice sessions will be online although I’d like them to be recordable off the television for fans who are at work, and not just the red button. As for the interactivity I’ll just wait and see, as sometimes this is a little more than token ‘accessibility’ masqueraded as interactivity.

I just hope the beeb sets the bar high and leads the way as they have generally shown themselves to be keen on new technologies. Now lets just wait and see…

15. Gareth Jordan said on 24th February 2009, 10:51

Stop speculating. Its all here!!

1 2 3