Brawn GP takes Honda F1′s place on the 2009 F1 grid – official

Jenson Button (left) will drive for Ross Brawn's team in 2009

Jenson Button (left) will drive for Ross Brawn's team in 2009

Ross Brawn has confirmed that his new team Brawn GP will take over from Honda and contest the 2009 F1 season.

As has been rumoured in recent weeks the team will use the same Mercedes engines as McLaren and Force India.

Ross Brawn will be team principal of his eponymous outfit and Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello have been retained as drivers.

A statement from Brawn reads:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you – our fans, our partners and our media colleagues – for your tremendous support during the past few months. It has been a challenging period but we have now achieved a very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts which have been made to secure our future. We have also been left in no doubt as to the level of enthusiasm for the team and our ambitions.

Our focus now is on preparations for the first race of the 2009 calendar in Melbourne on 29 March. Over the coming weeks we will bring you the very latest news and pictures from the build-up to the Brawn GP team’s debut season plus our plans for the development of BrawnGP.com

The team are expected to begin testing at Silverstone tomorrow. Pitpass has reported a rumour suggesting Mike Gascoyne, who left Force India last year, could be brought on board as technical director.

Honda has issued the following statement:

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the sale of the Honda Racing F1 Team (HRF1) to Ross Brawn, the former Team Principal of Honda Racing F1 Team.

The entire shares of the HRF1, held by Honda GP Holdings Ltd., the UK-based holding company for HRF1 that managed all operations of Honda’s Formula One racing, were sold to Ross Brawn. As a result of this sale, the team ownership has transferred to Mr. Brawn, who plans to have the new team compete for this year’s FIA Formula One World Championship.

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports: “Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team. We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross.”

Read the full press release on Brawn GP’s official website.

More on Brawn GP

Update: Here’s a picture of the 2009 Brawn GP F1 car: Brawn GP tests its 2009 F1 car

75 comments on Brawn GP takes Honda F1′s place on the 2009 F1 grid – official

1 2 3 5
  1. Ian D said on 6th March 2009, 0:35

Yes,at last, just found this on the beeb, was about to post a link.

Brawn GP, sounds like the best of the suggested options.

& god bless all who sail in her.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th March 2009, 0:47

Excellent news I’m very happy F1 will have 20 cars after all. I hope they have enough funding in place to do the full season.

• BigBen999 said on 8th March 2009, 6:57

I wonder if there is any Branson, connection, or money in this venture? Branson, was showing some interest earlier on.

2. James said on 6th March 2009, 0:51

Very intriguing. I’ll admit I couldn’t stand RB when he was at Ferrari (mainly due to the boredom of the Schumi years) but I shall be supporting Brawn GP (even with Button! **sigh**) along with FORCE INDIA!

3. Cameron said on 6th March 2009, 0:52

Fingers crossed for another Jenson Button win this year! Wouldn’t surprise me either, considering they’ll be running the same donk as McLaren!

4. Daniel said on 6th March 2009, 0:53

If Brawn has enough money, it’ll be very interesting to see him leading the team of his own, like great team bosses such as Eddie Jordan and Peter Sauber, not to mention the greatest still active of those who have a team named after him: Frank Williams.

It’s a pitty that it is a provisional solution, that’ll probably last only one season…

5. Adam said on 6th March 2009, 0:54

Did anyone else notice how Nick Fry isn’t mentioned in the press release, didn’t get any of the ownership, and really hasn’t been heard from much recently? Could Nick be on his way out?

6. Finally a statement
    I’m glad we will have 20 cars back on the grid
    lets hope they can get a good car running soon

7. ajokay said on 6th March 2009, 1:08

From the look of the website, looks as if the livery will be white, black, and lime green. Nice!

• Gman said on 6th March 2009, 4:36

indeed, sort of a return to the Jordan/Minardi days in that respect :)

• Charlie said on 6th March 2009, 17:15

Personally, it made me vomit! (And it’s fluorescent yellow, not green…!) I don’t think my eyes will ever be the same. I think their brains have gone wonky after a couple of years of wearing bright green trousers

Though it would be funny if they won. Let’s wait to see what sponsors they can add to make it look nice. And all the best to F1′s newest team!

8. Bernification said on 6th March 2009, 1:14

Well, blimey, I really coundn’t see that one coming.

I really had resigned myself to their unhappy demise, but they’ve managed the impossible! If rumours are to be believed, they waited the whole of the last 3 months and then 2 buyers turned up at once.

Never really liked him much at Ferrari either, I always thought him a bit patronising, but really admire the courage of his convictions.

Good luck guys. Here’s to some points!

9. Excellent news, BrawnGP is equal BBB (Brawn, Button and Barrichelo).

10. The Brawn GP F1 team needs sponsors so that they can survive in the F1 for a long term,team must start looking for sponsorships.
    or they have already got the sponsors? any rumours?

11. F1Yankee said on 6th March 2009, 2:13

what was the monetary value of the team? if jenson taking a 20M pound pay cut is a difference maker, it couldn’t have been much by f1 standards. even after the “honda $100M discount” where did RB find the money? my guess is “uncle bernie”

no matter, good luck to brawn gp!

• scunnyman said on 6th March 2009, 4:32

I seem to remember a thread saying Honda were offering the team for £1 so that could be what Ross has done. Maybe he has promised not to make Honda look bad by doing a worse job than they did before him.
      NOthard to do lol

12. todd said on 6th March 2009, 3:00

wow brawn took the whole thing! nice, no more dip stick fry, i can only hope that gascoyne doesn’t go there or else brawn gp will still be in the sh-t.

13. What that team needed is exactly what’s happening now. A proven winner, with multiple teams, as principle, get rid of the man that kept them from success, and as far as I’m concerned, the addition of Gascoyne is a blessing as well. Say what you will about the man’s temperament, he was pretty much responsible for both championship winning Renault’s. If the rumour is true, I will greatly enjoy seeing what he can come up with again working within a strong management structure. Either way, Brawn is a winner, and I would say that the only thing that could keep him from further success is funding.

• Gman said on 6th March 2009, 4:40

Indeed, if Brawn brings in Gascoyne, he must believe that he would fit well with the team and be a positive contributor. Don’t foget that Vijay inherited Gascoyne with the purchase of Spyker- no offense to either party, but I would imagine they diden’t get along very well. Ross woulden’t make such a move if he wasen’t 100% sure about it, but it should work if he makes it.

• patrickl said on 6th March 2009, 14:33

Vijay claims that Gascoyne was stifling other key team members. Which is the same reason why Toyota got rid of him.

14. Gman said on 6th March 2009, 4:41

Good news all around- here’s to the best for Brawn GP in 2009! I quite like the color scheme that they will apparently be using- black and yellow have been misisng from the grid for some time now.

15. Chaz said on 6th March 2009, 6:29

Good news. Now lets hope they can pull something out of the bag and do well all things considering…

• Chaz said on 6th March 2009, 8:13

I’ve read a rumour that Button has been involved in an accident – injuries as yet unknown. I hope this is not true. Can anyone confirm or deny this please…

• The only mention I’d seen of that was over on F1Badger and it was a spoof news article featuring a picture of an F1 button on a computer keyboard that had been broken off…

At least I hope there’s nothing more to what you’ve heard…

• Chaz said on 6th March 2009, 17:35

I’ve been wondering about the rumours of Jenson giving up a portion of his salary to help keep the team afloat. I suspect he exchanged it for shares in the team. What do you think…

1 2 3 5