Brawn GP takes Honda F1′s place on the 2009 F1 grid – official

Jenson Button (left) will drive for Ross Brawn's team in 2009

Jenson Button (left) will drive for Ross Brawn's team in 2009

Ross Brawn has confirmed that his new team Brawn GP will take over from Honda and contest the 2009 F1 season.

As has been rumoured in recent weeks the team will use the same Mercedes engines as McLaren and Force India.

Ross Brawn will be team principal of his eponymous outfit and Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello have been retained as drivers.

A statement from Brawn reads:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you – our fans, our partners and our media colleagues – for your tremendous support during the past few months. It has been a challenging period but we have now achieved a very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts which have been made to secure our future. We have also been left in no doubt as to the level of enthusiasm for the team and our ambitions.

Our focus now is on preparations for the first race of the 2009 calendar in Melbourne on 29 March. Over the coming weeks we will bring you the very latest news and pictures from the build-up to the Brawn GP team’s debut season plus our plans for the development of BrawnGP.com

The team are expected to begin testing at Silverstone tomorrow. Pitpass has reported a rumour suggesting Mike Gascoyne, who left Force India last year, could be brought on board as technical director.

Honda has issued the following statement:

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the sale of the Honda Racing F1 Team (HRF1) to Ross Brawn, the former Team Principal of Honda Racing F1 Team.

The entire shares of the HRF1, held by Honda GP Holdings Ltd., the UK-based holding company for HRF1 that managed all operations of Honda’s Formula One racing, were sold to Ross Brawn. As a result of this sale, the team ownership has transferred to Mr. Brawn, who plans to have the new team compete for this year’s FIA Formula One World Championship.

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports: “Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team. We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross.”

Read the full press release on Brawn GP’s official website.

More on Brawn GP

Update: Here’s a picture of the 2009 Brawn GP F1 car: Brawn GP tests its 2009 F1 car

75 comments on Brawn GP takes Honda F1′s place on the 2009 F1 grid – official

1. Jay Menon said on 6th March 2009, 6:41

Black, White, and Lime Green, reminiscent of the Minardis. Could be just an interim colour scheme, the eventual title sponsors would dictate the colour I believe.

Who would put down the dosh for title sponsor would be an interesting debate. Petrobras have been pussy-fotting around the idea and they wouldn’t be a surprise if they commit. I’m currently working on a project for Petrobras and the last I heard, amid the credit crunch and all, they’ve increased their budget for 2009. Given their history with F1 and Honda, you never know.

All we can be sure of is that Jenson will bring in Ray Ban and Seiko.

It would be great if Ross takes on Eddie Irvine as his assistant. Eddie has been knocking around for a return to the paddock in a similar role for a while now, hasn’t he?

2. Brakius said on 6th March 2009, 6:55

A very refreshing announcement indeed. This along with the FOTA announcement, and USF1, gives me a lot of hope for the future of F1. While it’s nice to have the big corporations/manufacturers in the sport, I don’t necessarily like them to dominate it. I wish them luck and hope for some longevity.

3. Great news. All the best to Tyrrell-turned-BAR-turned-Honda-turned-Brawn. I’d like to see teams named after owners again.

4. David said on 6th March 2009, 7:40

Very very happy.
    Hope there is money enough do to a good full season.
    I’ll be a fan of them.

5. Jay Menon, I do hope you meant to type in “Eddie Jordan” and not “Eddie Irvine.” What could the Swirve possibly assist Brawn in, other than picking up the birds and mouthing off? Not that I disagree with his mouthiness, but it’s hardly something that would further an F1 team or do anything but distract Brawn from the job at hand. Now Jordan, on the other hand would shine in some sort of PR/sponsorship role, but realistically speaking, would that pry him off his yacht just to get a paycheque in F1?

6. Jay Menon said on 6th March 2009, 8:14

I did mean Swirve..hahaha. I think Eddie Jordan will be happy with his cushy job at the BBC just now.

I just thought I’d drop him in there since he’s been interested in forming his own team, this might be the perfect oppurtunity to get the some hands on experience…thats is of course, if he’s not busy chasing some skirt.

I thought I’d be fun..haha..but it would be good to see ol’ Eddie back in the paddock

7. Somehow Irvine and management just don’t seem to go hand in hand. Mind you, he apparently was not only one of the top earners, but also one of the top keepers and investors of his money, but still, I just can’t see him running an F1 squad.

8. Jay Menon said on 6th March 2009, 8:26

Well, you’d never know. I think Eddie is a pretty sharp chap, he just might pull it off.

Who else better than Ross Brawn to guide him?

We’re going on about this as if its going to happen..hahaha

9. David said on 6th March 2009, 8:34

Off topic.
    I noticed a new engine cover plate on the Red Bull, during Jerez tests. Fin shaped but with new profile. Any picture of that?, Keith
    I saw something on f1-live.com last picture frames.

10. SoLiD said on 6th March 2009, 9:04

Great news!
    Maybe The Virgin group will become the main sponsor?
    Could be why Branson was seen as a possible buyer.

11. Just the news I’ve been waiting for! Great news the TEAM has survived. Such a crucial year for Jenson with the prospect of no drive would have been a career ender. Glad Rubens is on board too and I think thats more to do with Brawn and the realisation they need his input. Everyone remembers last years Silverstone for Lewis’s sterling drive but Rubens is the one that stood out to me. His call on the timing of tyre choice got them on the podium and a stellar drive from him. Looks like I need to buy some new team merchandise too ;) :D

12. Great News ! ! !

And best of Luck to Ross Brawn. This man has achieved everything in F1. Gone into retirement, come back, rescued a team as well. A victory in at least 1 race this season will be a perfect tribute to Ross Brawn :)

13. Mick said on 6th March 2009, 10:23

Good news indeed!!

would like to see the black and green of the “BRAWN GP website used on the cars livery could look pretty ace.
    Maybe??

14. Ronald said on 6th March 2009, 10:24

i think this is my new favorite “other team”.
    but one thing stunned me that they are using M.B power? whatever happened to the Ferrari-Ross Brawn special relationship. and those ferrari engines were crackers with Torro Rosso last year.

15. PJA said on 6th March 2009, 11:00

Great news, I was beginning to think it wouldn’t happen. I hope they have all the finances and resources to be a long term fixture in Formula 1. I think they will become a few peoples other team just like Super Aguri were.