Brawn GP tests its 2009 F1 car

Jenson Button was first to drive the BGP 001 at Silverstone (click to enlarge)

Jenson Button was first to drive the BGP 001 at Silverstone (click to enlarge)

The new Brawn GP team tested its 2009 F1 car at Silverstone today. Jenson Button was at the heel of the BGP001.

The nose is very different to that seen on the interim Honda tested at the end of 2008.

It has very detailed mini-wings inboard of the sidepods in front of the adjustable element. The sidepods are high and wide, similar to those on the McLaren MP4/24.

Throughout 2008 we often heard how Honda was keeping its development to a minimum to focus on its 2009 car. Although work continued on its 2009 challenger in the two months since Honda announced it was putting the team up for sale, the team have not gone testing until now.

The car, which would have been the Honda RA109, is now the Brawn GP 001. It has been modified to use Mercedes’ FO108W engine instead of the Honda unit it was designed for, which will surely cause some compromises.

They will be test at the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain next week along with the other F1 teams, which should give us an idea how close Brawn GP are going to be to the pace.

The other striking thing about the BGP 001 is its lack of sponsorship. The almost all-white livery is reminiscent of the Super Aguris when they made their final appearance in last year’s Spanish Grand Prix. Will the team be able to attract any backers in time for the first race of the season?

Read more: Complete 2009 F1 drivers and teams line-up

Image (C) Brawn GP

53 comments on Brawn GP tests its 2009 F1 car

1. steve said on 8th March 2009, 11:51

Why does the BRAWN-GP logo do what it does:

BR in straight letters

AWN – GP in italics.

BR is clearly a reference to the solid engineering and delayed timetable of British Rail.

AWN according to my friend Wikipedia is a hairy appendage – is this a reference to Jenson Button?

GP of course relates to ‘Get Points’ the team motto.

2. dilly said on 8th March 2009, 15:20

you would have thought Brawn would have been able to get a good deal on ferrari engines…

3. John H said on 8th March 2009, 17:58

I think they are going to suprise people by being quite quick at Melbourne.

Brawn was talking up the the team in December/January time saying they were probably going to be the fastest on the grid in 09 (ok, maybe to attract a buyer, but still). I also don’t think he would have invested to run at the back of the field.

Most of the research was done in early 2008 for this car anyway (hence the RA108 being so crap) – Mark my words… they’ll be quick!

4. fastmike said on 8th March 2009, 18:24

This could be the greatest thing to hit F1 this year. I sure hope so , Mr.R.brawn has a reputation for technical excellence and picking the right strategy .. and with Jenson and Ruebens surely the ingredience for a top line team .

5. andrew said on 9th March 2009, 4:17

I think we still have to take this team very seriously. The original version of this car was under development for some months, with Honda money and resources, and by all probability, the first car where Brawn could really have had an overseeing role, as he joined Honda when the turning-out-to-be-dreary RA108 should have been done, basically. So even if they didn’t test until now, I don’t expect them to be in such shambles that they couldn’t get a decent result in Melbourne.

Especially if you consider that Force India and even more so Toro Rosso had a pretty late start in testing with their new cars.

What I’m wondering is if Brawn will be using KERS. The side pods of the BGP 001 look much narrower to me at the bottom, compared to the McLaren running with the Mercedes engine and KERS, so I’d suspect Brawn probably won’t bother with that for the first few races, and focus on getting a solid performance out of the car as it is.

6. DGR-F1 said on 9th March 2009, 8:48

Two minor points about this great looking car:
    1. Why wasn’t it run with a Honda engine anywhere? Even if ultimately they lost the Honda power, the team needed to get the car seen by potential sponsors.
    2. Is there now enough time left to do serious testing before the start of the season, and to get the drivers, mechanics etc accustomed to the car?
    I do support any attempt by an independant team, but I get the feeling Honda are still in the background here and have held back what could be a successful enterprise.

7. PJA said on 9th March 2009, 12:20

From the few pictures I have seen so far I quite like the car, I much prefer the low and wide style nose to high and narrow. Although the realistic expectation is probably the back of the grid I wouldn’t be surprised if they are not in last place in the championship at the end of the season.

I think I read somewhere that they won’t unveil their livery until just before the Melbourne GP.
    It’s probably a case of liking what I am used to, but modern F1 cars all in one colour just don’t seem right to me, likewise classic cars from the 1950s etc before wings don’t seem right to me if they are covered in sponsors logos.

8. is it just me or does that car look so much like the mp4-24? more than just engine supply perhaps?

9. Arthur954 said on 10th March 2009, 11:44

Good looking car ! the main thing is that they don´t use all-black wheels, which is a very old look.
    The wheels with the silver outline look great. Can´t wait to see the final livery … make it elegant, not funky !
    Good luck to Brawn GP !!!

• Arthur954 said on 10th March 2009, 22:36

the team colours could be established as:
      – dark metallic green plus silver or
      – dark metallic green plus GOLD

This is a very elegantly proportioned car, independently of the livery

10. siwe said on 29th March 2009, 8:46

They are a winner guys ;)