What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

894 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1. SoLiD said on 6th March 2009, 11:40

16 march 1984
    (very soon :p)

The past years I got a nice gift as the first race weekend of the year :D

2. Mine…. Dan Gurney won at Brands Hatch, driving an Eagle-Weslake T1G ’102. Ickx, Brabham and Bruce (McLaren) were there also…

Oldest here, by the moment. ;-)

3. Nah… qazuhb is older than me… I feel a big relief…

4. Hey i am youngest here.except smitty.. yuppy
    my birthday on 2nd march 1985. Just celebrated few days back.
    Hey keith,tell me what happened in F1 on my birthday.

5. Rachel said on 6th March 2009, 12:02

22nd November 1982.
    England won the Rugby World Cup on my 21st Brthday – the best present ever – not sure F1 can produce something that spectacular, but I’d be happy to be surprised. Although a late november GP would be fab, it might just extend the season too far.

• Clare msj said on 6th March 2009, 14:09

Oooh same day as mine – except mine is 1985, England won the Rugby World Cup on my 18th

• Nefer said on 6th March 2009, 14:59

Johnny Wilkinson won the rugby world cup for England. Most scores were divisible by 3… but that’s a debate for another day and another website. :-)

• Richard said on 6th March 2009, 16:07

Go 22nd November!! Albeit 1991 but that rugby match was an awesome b-day pressie for me too

6. Sush Meerkat said on 6th March 2009, 12:06

5th May 1981

7. Hmm, well good luck finding F1 news on 24th December 1977.

8. Hezla said on 6th March 2009, 12:10

Birthdate 28.6.1966. Started follow F1 in the 80′s

9. Joe Jones said on 6th March 2009, 12:12

Hey my birthdate is 01/11/1989 would be cool to know what the news was for me :P

10. anirudh said on 6th March 2009, 12:18

Keith, how bout putting a brithday booth on the site, wishing F1F users on their birthdays…

11. Nov 30th, 1984 for me Keith.

12. Rick DeNatale said on 6th March 2009, 12:48

You are all kids!

I was born on December 8, in the same year Fangio won his first driving title.

Only two seasons and 15 Formula One Grands Prix had taken place by the day I was born.

• koper said on 6th March 2009, 22:11

I was born the same day, same month, like Jim Morrison ;)
      But I am 31 years youger than you, Rick DeNatale.

Or say it other way – I am almost 2 years (except one day), older than Robert Kubica.

13. sparky said on 6th March 2009, 12:48

I’m 13th Feb 1979!

Cheers

14. Fer no.65 said on 6th March 2009, 12:50

October 15th, 1989 :P

probably you’ll find some championship being decided by the time

15. gaz said on 6th March 2009, 12:56

21st march 1978

aryton senna was also born on 21st march in 1960

the british formula one season in 1978 started on 24th march……..