What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

919 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 30 31 32 33 34 55
  1. Ryan-Veitch said on 4th August 2011, 9:24

Mine is 10th January 1994 , unfortunately I was too young to be able to watch ayrton senna before his tragic death, but an amazing film, BTW KEEP F1 FREE TO AIR, ON THE BBC, Forget about sky

2. Ell (@ell) said on 4th August 2011, 19:16

7th August 1998

3. fastmovingthoughts (@fastmovingthoughts) said on 5th August 2011, 5:51

Hello,

My name is Steven Winer, I am from Massachusetts USA. I LOVE this site, it is my home page both on my phone as well as my pc.

My birthday is December 22 1972, I would love to be added to the list please.

Steven

4. F1George said on 8th August 2011, 7:44

14th August 1990 :)

5. KoolKieren (@koolkieren) said on 9th August 2011, 9:02

14 January 1992

I’ve been watching every race since I was 10, just wish that I had started earlier then maybe I could have got my dad to get me into karting and from there who knows what may have happened lol.

I might have to miss the sky sports races next year aswell, hope they can find some compromise before the start of next year.

6. chapmankillie (@chapmankillie) said on 9th August 2011, 11:31

14th March 1965

7. flowerdew (@flowerdew) said on 12th August 2011, 0:16

6 November :D

8. Jonathan (@jweighell) said on 12th August 2011, 9:23

13th August 1977

9. Harry Palmer said on 12th August 2011, 13:03

19th August 1979… been following F1 as long as I can remember, love this site – keep up the good work Keith!

10. Herman (@herman) said on 15th August 2011, 0:27

17th March 1995

11. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 21st August 2011, 14:26

21 Aug 1979

12. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 22nd August 2011, 2:07

22 august 1994 yeah today

13. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 30th August 2011, 11:03

Born on the 14th of september 1979.
    I wasn’t interested in F1 at the time, i can’t remember if there was something interesting on that day…

14. georges10099 said on 31st August 2011, 15:49

mine is on the 14th September 1995 :)

15. Andy2286 (@andy2286) said on 31st August 2011, 18:45

My birthday July 2nd 1986… Wish I knew what was the f1 news on that day, but as I think it was a wednesday, I don’t think much happened… anybody know?

1 30 31 32 33 34 55