What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

873 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 31 32 33 34 35 52
  1. OEL F1 said on 1st September 2011, 11:58

25 September 1993

2. Lucas "Mr. Veloce" said on 2nd September 2011, 9:51

Mine falls on the day of the season finale this year, November 27th. I was born in 1996 so that will make me 15.

3. TheNikii (@thenikii) said on 2nd September 2011, 11:57

13th November 1988
    Prost wins for McLaren’s 1-2 at Adelaide finishing almost perfect season for the team. Last race for turbos as well.

There was a GP on my 6th birthday too, unfortunately as we all know not the most pleasant.

This year Abu Dhabi GP will be on my birthday. Should be interesting.

4. dominikwilde said on 5th September 2011, 0:44

5th of september, today, the same as David Brabbham! :D

5. Butch27 (@butch27) said on 11th September 2011, 19:54

15 September 1993!

I’m new here, congratulation for this site :)

6. Randy Torres said on 15th September 2011, 4:37

October 13, 1956 right between Japan and Korea GPs!

7. Wonderduck (@wonderduck) said on 18th September 2011, 6:00

April 23rd, 1968. I’m the oldest duck on F1 Fanatic!

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 21st September 2011, 7:17

28th October, 1986. I don’t know what exactly happend that day!

9. 30th August 1993. One of the youngest here?

10. Amadis (@amadis) said on 26th September 2011, 5:09

Born on November 5, 1992

11. Not sure if I already did this, but here goes :P

6th January 1988

12. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 3rd October 2011, 23:57

It’s 26th October for me. Would be awesome to be included in the round-up.

Cheers.

13. F1abw (@f1abw) said on 10th October 2011, 10:07

12 October 1989, seeing as its close I thought I might see if any body has any thing to offer!

14. sankarjune14 (@sankarjune14) said on 11th October 2011, 21:01