What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

919 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 32 33 34 35 36 55
  1. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 14th October 2011, 8:24

My Birthday? 18th January..

What do you mean, you want the year aswell? Every year!

My first birthday was 1996 though, so I was born 18th January 1995..

Yes, I am a youngling..

2. Girts (@girts) said on 14th October 2011, 13:02

I was born on March 20, 1984. That’s 5 days before the F1 racing debut for Ayrton Senna.

3. pejte (@pejte) said on 17th October 2011, 12:06

31 October 1988

4. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 20th October 2011, 5:48

oct 21, 1974. sadly no racing news to report, but i do share a birthday with kim kardashian and alfred nobel.

5. Kirill (@) said on 20th October 2011, 7:43

14 August 1987, two days before the last Austrian GP in Osterreichring

6. Lucien_Todutz (@lucien_todutz) said on 20th October 2011, 10:13

10th November 1988 :DDDDDDDD I’m a Scorpio too :)

7. ovviamente (@ovviamente) said on 23rd October 2011, 9:57

My birthdate is 16th December 1996… I’m a young un…

8. Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 24th October 2011, 6:29

I was born today!!

October 24th, 1986!

I believe the 05 Brazilian GP was that day, Montoya’s last victory in F1.

9. narboza22 (@narboza22) said on 31st October 2011, 6:39

November 2nd, 1988.

10. Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 6th November 2011, 1:47

Well, I was born on 20th Febraury, 1994. Prost had just retired and Senna had taken his spot at Williams, alongside an increasingly popular Damon Hill. Well, we all know what happened that year…

11. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 8th November 2011, 3:38

29th march

12. Estesark (@estesark) said on 13th November 2011, 12:11

19th of October, 1987. Black Monday.

In the world of F1, it was the day after the Mexico Grand Prix. Nigel Mansell had won it, giving him a fighting chance of becoming that year’s WDC. An accident in qualifying in the next round, the Japanese Grand Prix, put him out of that race and the season finale at Australia, handing Nelson Piquet his third and final championship.

Heikki Kovalainen was celebrating his sixth birthday :)

13. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 14th November 2011, 22:01

April 16th, 1990. Paul Di Resta was turning 4!

14. 29th January,1988