What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

919 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 34 35 36 37 38 55
  1. Keamo said on 3rd January 2012, 20:15

21 February 1978

2. Jenny O'G said on 4th January 2012, 23:22

I was born on 6th June 1988 – the anniversary of the D Day landings :)

3. Monosodico (@monosodico) said on 5th January 2012, 15:31

August 27, 1966

4. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 7th January 2012, 9:43

December 21, 1992

5. Dimitris 1395 (@) said on 8th January 2012, 0:39

11 september 1995. Quite young, but I have an extraordinary archive of F1 races

6. Sandlefish (@sandlefish) said on 9th January 2012, 8:01

February 8, 1988

7. consi (@consi) said on 9th January 2012, 11:33

18th April 1968 – 11 days after the Great Jim Clark lost his life.

8. PaulM (@pmelton) said on 9th January 2012, 12:09

1st February 1973

9. Tom Haxley (@welshtom) said on 10th January 2012, 8:39

19th July 1984

10. thekingofspa said on 10th January 2012, 10:28

My birthday is the 29th of March, 1994, Near the start of the season.
    I was born 2 days after the Brazilian GP, tho now it coincides mainly with the Australian Grand Prix(did so in 2009, but I most unfortunately missed the race because I was holidaying in the Sunderbans delta near Bay of Bengal, at the time.)

11. Dave (@davea86) said on 12th January 2012, 4:11

January 16 1987. It’s usually in the off season so the only race I could find that happened on my birthday was the 1955 Argentine GP at Buenos Aries. Fangio won from pole in his Mercedes in a race that was the equal hottest ever (40 degrees C). Fangio was one of only two drivers who managed to finish the race solo which is a pretty good effort as it took three hours to complete.

12. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 16th January 2012, 0:07

January 18th Every year..

But I was BORN January 18th 1995..

13. Pankit said on 17th January 2012, 18:22

3rd Oct 1986 … the cars were invented a exactly a century earlier.

14. SouthPawRacer (@southpawracer) said on 18th January 2012, 4:21

It’s Stealthman here Keith, I changed my name to reflect my online alias on other sites. Just for the sake of reminding, it’s January 26, 1994… cheers! :)

15. OukilF1 (@oukilf1) said on 18th January 2012, 16:50