What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

919 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1. Lou said on 6th March 2009, 15:52

My date of birth: 21 February 1956
    In 1967, in glorious widescreen Cinerama, I saw the film “Grand Prix.” By that age I was already familiar with a few F1 driver names, by virtue of their participation in the Indianapolis 500. Among them were Jochen Rindt, Jim Clark, Dan Gurney, and Graham Hill.
    I enjoy F1 very much, as I follow it very closely.
    Lou

2. Andrew White said on 6th March 2009, 15:56

I think I’m the youngest here! 24th August 1993

That was 5 days before the Belgian GP, which was won by Damon Hill.

Last year I had the inaugural GP in Valencia on my birthday, shame the race was awful!

3. Bastardo said on 6th March 2009, 15:58

Sebastien Bourdais was born on my birthday (or I was born on his birthday :). Funny thing is that my name is also Sebastien and the design of his helmet is almost the same as the one I designed about 13 years ago (I was a gokart racer). Coincidence or…? ;)

4. Adam Dennehey said on 6th March 2009, 16:06

Thanks for that my birthday’s Nov 5th 1987, so it’s good to see already something thats happened on the 5th, i’ll do my own research on my actual date of birth and what happens with F1, no doubt Senna and Prost will be near enough the headlines in that one

5. StrFerrari4Ever said on 6th March 2009, 16:15

wow i’m the youngest here 4th October 1995 :) good to see there’s alot of wisdom and knowledge though amongst us

6. hamilton wc 09 said on 6th March 2009, 16:17

22/3/1988

7. Dan M said on 6th March 2009, 16:20

Looks like you opened up a can of worms on this topic, Kieth.

Nice to see all the ’84 babies!

December 21 1984

Same as Samuel L Jackson?, thats the best I got… and we’re all going to die before I get to eat cake on 12/21/2012…. http://www.december212012.net/

Good luck.

8. Daniel said on 6th March 2009, 16:33

august 2, 1983

9. James B said on 6th March 2009, 16:36

I got the 25th September 1992, two days before Mansell won at Portugal.

But more importantly, Alonso won his first championship on the my birthday. Shame that I’m a Raikkonen fan. :P

10. 30 July 1987

11. TMFOX said on 6th March 2009, 16:46

27th January 1989

12. Robert said on 6th March 2009, 16:58

13th July 1994

13. April 2nd, 1991 – I share the day (though obviously not the year) with Jack Brabham, and the 1934 Monaco GP was on April 2nd

14. 8th January 1985

15. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th March 2009, 18:38

Wow what a lot of responses! It’s going to take quite a while to find news stories for them all, but I’ll give it my best shot over the weekend. Keep the suggestions coming in…

• SamS said on 6th March 2009, 22:39

you know when you wish you hadnt asked….!! great to see what ages log on to see your site though!