What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

900 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 41 42 43 44 45 53
  1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th November 2012, 12:07

@keithcollantine – I don’t know if I’ve ever commented here (and I don’t know how to search a page on my mobile), but my birthday is actually tomorrow, November 29. Sorry for the very late warning.

2. Mine is 1st November 83.

Btw, I’ve been on F1F for 4 years now but haven’t been wished once! :(

3. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 8th December 2012, 7:13

I have forgotten to say what was happening in January 20th 1998. Jolyon Palmer was celebrating his 7th birthday, whilst the late Marco Simoncelli was celebrating his 11th

4. Siddharth said on 8th December 2012, 8:46

13 December 1990

5. Abdurahman (@) said on 11th December 2012, 2:32

12 January 1974

6. Long time lurker born on16th December 1969 :-)

7. Dion (@infinitygc) said on 19th December 2012, 17:20

6 January 1996, I feel really young…

8. Dom (@3dom) said on 20th December 2012, 23:03

22 December 1983. Cheers Keith

9. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 23rd December 2012, 10:30

Heh, I thought I added my birthday last year already, guess I didn’t: it’s the same as @bascb‘s: 23rd of December, 1975.

10. tandrews (@tomand95) said on 23rd December 2012, 11:45

February 5th 1995

11. stefano (@alfa145) said on 28th December 2012, 13:50

how about 29 08 1990?

12. alvink (@alvink) said on 29th December 2012, 4:33

Hey everybody, my birthday is coming up – 31 Dec 1970..a day to cap off a great racing year that 2012 is..and also we survived the Mayan prophecy :-)

13. Melody said on 31st December 2012, 9:10

These days my birthday falls around the British GP, not sure how long that’s been the case though.

Next year I’m chuffed to be attending my first GP on my 30th birthday weekend, the day after my birthday. (27-06-1983)

14. timi (@timi) said on 4th January 2013, 0:15