What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

903 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 42 43 44 45 46 54
  1. Troy Longstaff (@troylongstaff) said on 4th January 2013, 10:02

March 31st, 1994; keep up the great work @keithcollantine – from all of your fans in Oz :)

2. Jeff Bird (@jedoublef91) said on 10th January 2013, 5:43

October 27th 1991 In Adelaide just before the GP weekend and just across the road from the track.

3. Mclarengal (@mclarengal) said on 12th January 2013, 19:53

13th May 1972 – which makes me exactly ten days older than Rubens Barrichello! (I look younger…well, I have more hair!)

4. Bruno (@brunes) said on 18th January 2013, 9:16

21st of January… Same as Emma from the Spice Girls! LOOOOOL

5. 15th of December: which I hate because it is far too near Christmas!

6. Chris Preston (@ozchrispy) said on 1st February 2013, 5:15

3 July 1962 – exactly the same day as Tom Cruise, but he’s richer than I am. And I’m not a scientologist. I’m also a bit taller and fatter. Although I am Australian I never dated Nicole Kidman either. Apart from all that, we are sort of birthday twins.

7. tmax (@tmax) said on 5th February 2013, 0:08

17th of March !!!!

8. February 11, 1959

9. Rick (@viscountviktor) said on 12th February 2013, 17:26

3rd December

10. My birthday is on 9th Dec, 1993! I wonder if anyone can figure out any F1 news on that day!

11. March the 17th here.. There’s got to be something good in that !

12. ArtAnonim (@artanonim) said on 17th February 2013, 22:41

13th June 1996.

13. George (@george) said on 20th February 2013, 0:35

23rd March, I figure it’s about time I added myself to this list :P

14. 30 April 1999

15. Dennis (@) said on 1st March 2013, 9:28

May 15th 1976. The next day Niki Lauder won the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder and increased his lead in the championship

1 42 43 44 45 46 54