What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

919 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 3 4 5 6 7 55
  1. Paul said on 6th March 2009, 18:39

07 Nov 1987.

I know that my birthday has had a World Championship round or two, last in Adelaide in 1993.

2. The_Pope said on 6th March 2009, 18:49

Hi Keith – as you said, it could be quite a mountain of work.

How about “On this day…” where you clip various major events that happened 1 Year Ago, 2 Years Ago, 5 Years Ago etc bit like they do in the newspaper.

Though that still strikes me as a bunch of work just for trivia, and I for one would rather you spend your energy on yet more new material for this season than bits of trivia.

But if you’re researching 1978 for Gaz, check out 19th April ;)

3. Striay said on 6th March 2009, 18:55

29th of october 1993 one of the youngest here i think, 12 days after Kimi Raikkonen’s b-day and 10 after Kovalinen’s also 2 days after Jenni Raikkonen’s b-day! see if anyone can find any more info on my b-day!

4. 7/8/92 mansells year and williams domination of f1.

5. TSJ said on 6th March 2009, 19:10

Sep. 12th 1988

Great initiative Keith. I hope you don’t get too swamped.

Cheers

6. D Winn said on 6th March 2009, 19:56

October 28th in the year that BRM was founded !
    Now THATS what you call ‘old.

7. 26 December 79 — the Soviet Union was officially dissolved when I turned 12! A bit quiet F1-wise but I’m sure Keith can find something…

8. Monkzie said on 6th March 2009, 20:04

12th March 1980

Coming 29 this coming Thursday, and after having a look at the other birthdays listed above, I’m now feeling decidedly old for the first time in my life! I don’t know why, but I just thought or presumed that older people than me would be reading and contributing to this site. Ahh well…

Keep up the great work Keith!

9. Owen said on 6th March 2009, 20:34

You’ve probably got way too many already, but I’ll throw my birthday hat into the ring… 7 June 1977.

Which I’ve just found out is the exact same date as a tv personality in NZ who I see from time to time in my local supermarket. I wonder if I should point this out next time I see him. I’m sure he’ll be interested!…

10. EGC said on 6th March 2009, 20:45

Snifff…here comes the grandma, 31 July 1962 :-(
    Normal cars is this time were seat 600 here in Spain :-(
    Something great for my birthday?
    Thanks Keith.

11. Daniel said on 6th March 2009, 20:59

12th March 1983… one day later, Piquet won his home race in Jacarepaguá, the opening round of that season, en route to his second world title… well, lucky day for a brazilian to be born :D

12. Steve said on 6th March 2009, 21:20

20th July 1975 — British Grand Prix – ~Sliverstone

I don’t think many finished…. sounds like a classic. Emerson Fittipaldi won the race.. I was born at 1pm, but not sure what time it started and finished.

“The results were overshadowed by a heavy hail storm from Lap 53, which caused 3 out of the top 4 cars to aquaplane and crash in the same corner, bringing an early finish to the race, and a significant absence on the podium”

13. rdiulv said on 6th March 2009, 21:31

25TH JULY 1995
    StrFerrari4eva you beat me to youngest by 11 days

14. Taimur said on 6th March 2009, 22:02

25th January 1980

15. scunnyman said on 6th March 2009, 22:03

Hi Keith,

Great idea, but i do think you have bitten off more than you can chew with this idea.

But anyway my b-day is 13-06-1966.

When i first saw the article i thought i was gonna be the oldest, lol how wrong i was.

1 3 4 5 6 7 55