What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

949 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 3 4 5 6 7 42
  1. Looks like I am the lone 18 August 1973 baby. And boy do I feel old, reading all of these 80 & 90’s dates !

Since my birthday is in the middle of the season, something interesting might have happened around that time, you never know.

2. Sriram said on 7th March 2009, 4:25

2nd Feb 1987…..

3. Stealthman said on 7th March 2009, 5:37

January 26, 1994. The year of Senna’s death, sadly. :(

4. Wes said on 7th March 2009, 5:44

Add me to the list:

Nov. 29, 1988

It’s certainly interesting to see the age range, and how you can tell that people are from vastly different regions simply by the way they note their date.

5. Well a great idea Keith and Happy Birthday and many more good years ahsad on youre site – but I think my birthdate will be a bit hard to get any F1 – more GP if anything – anyway its 18th April 1949 – old black and grey tv – and films then – Alan

6. Journeyer said on 7th March 2009, 6:46

Get me on this list!

30th December 1986

7. Nirupam said on 7th March 2009, 10:14

Well Keith,
    Get me on this list too! 21st Feb 1982

And let me tell you one thing, I am from India and will be there in UK for 3 months or so. May be I’ll travel next week. I really really want to meet u!

8. Yorricksfriend said on 7th March 2009, 10:15

haha doubt youll have time to me – but 05/10/1990 :)

9. Loki said on 7th March 2009, 10:21

Hmmmm, nowt I can find for 15th November 1980, however these took place on my subsequent birthdays:

1987:
    Riccardo Patrese debuts for Williams at Australia, for F1’s 452nd GP. Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto made it a Ferrari 1-2 (woo! funnily enough I know I wasn’t in the UK to watch the race at that time) with Theiry Boutsen 3rd in the Bennetton. It was the 93rd win for Ferrari as a constructor, and it was a nice sunny day.

2008:

F1fanatic publishes 2008 F1 season in statistics p1/2 :D

Okay, now I could’ve just pratted on moer about the Australian GP and made it look like I knew exactly what I was talking about – but I’ll just give you the link so everyone can just look up what happened on their birthday!

http://www.statsf1.com/ – then goto “Diary”. It’s pretty awful and inefficient usability as you have to keep clicking to get to the date you want.

• Thanks for the link, Loki. I looked it up and can say that I have the same birthday as Hans Binder (whom I had completely forgotten). This is what the Wilipedia has to say about him:

Hans Binder (born 12 June 1948 in Zell am Ziller, Innsbruck) is an Austrian former Formula One driver who raced for the Ensign, Wolf, Surtees and ATS teams.

He won the European Formula Ford Championship in 1972 and moved into Formula 2 in 1976. During this year he raced at his home Grand Prix and the Japanese GP. In 1977 he moved to the Surtees team and also raced three times for ATS. He then returned to Surtees before the end of the season. In 1978 he failed to qualify for his home grand prix with ATS before disappearing from the F1 scene.

10. shery said on 7th March 2009, 12:07

29th january…,1988

11. i was born 05 october 1983. in the recent calendars it either falls on the weekend of shanghai, japan, or in between those races. i wonder what f1 news was happening on my birthdate.

you can also send it to me via twitter :)

12. Feline-Fan said on 7th March 2009, 13:10

16th August 1967 – born between the German (Nurburgring) & Canadian (Mosport Park), GPs! Share by birthday with Ulrika Jonsson. Elvis also died on my 10th birthday!

13. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th March 2009, 13:21

OK rather than try to answer all of these at once I’ll do a series of posts next week with them in.

So far the age range covers 1945 to 1995! Keep those birthdays coming in and I’ll do my best to answer them…

14. starosta said on 7th March 2009, 13:28

Friday the 13th ;P March 1981

15. kevin hodge said on 7th March 2009, 16:19

1st. june, same as Martin Brundle and Ron Dennis

16. Saturday March 28th, 1981

17. AmericanTifosi said on 7th March 2009, 16:46

September 20th 1991

18. Whewbacca the Cookie said on 7th March 2009, 17:13

July 16, 1972

The day after Fittipaldi’s British GP win at Brands Hatch. July 16 was a day of some rather significant disasters (apart from myself being born):
    – The start of the East-West Schism
    – World’s first parking meter installed in Oklahoma City
    – Manhattan Project: Beginning of the Atomic Age. US successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon
    – Watergate Scandal
    – Saddam Hussein’s rise to power
    The list goes on and on :)

19. Scott Joslin said on 7th March 2009, 17:48

Interestingly – or not. I was born in December 1979, and my mum was pregnent at the British Grand Prix at Silvstone in July of that year and thinks that is the reason I liked F1 so much. That was also the race Williams won their first Grand Prix.

20. Miguel said on 7th March 2009, 18:06