What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

889 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1. Putti SPIII (@veldaarf1) said on 29th November 2013, 14:21

Born on 29/11/1992

2. Noah (@lotus22) said on 2nd December 2013, 1:08

My birthday is 2/2/98

3. Erivaldo moreira (@erivaldonin) said on 3rd December 2013, 0:57

6th june 1971

4. Nick (@npf1) said on 8th December 2013, 0:33

My birthday is on 13th September 1990.

I had quite the 8th birthday present in Schumacher winning the 1998 Italian GP, but Raikkonen had less luck for Ferrari in 2009. Hopefully the 2015 Italian GP will be on my birthday and I can go.

5. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 8th December 2013, 11:15

Born the 19th Septmeber 1994 :)

Fun fact: Carlos Sainz, Jr was born 1 September 1994, so only a few days seperate us.

Also Stuart Lewis-Evans died September 19, 1958 in the Moroccan Grand Prix.

6. Rigi (@rigi) said on 15th December 2013, 2:09

i was born the 12th of december 1993

never heard of any f1 things that happened on that exact date. another reason to dislike being born in december.

7. Marcia Simon said on 17th December 2013, 15:00

3rd July 1974

8. curmudgeon (@curmudgeon) said on 22nd December 2013, 6:13

23 December 1952. Harry S Truman was president of the US, so that was a long time ago.

9. Alex Tunnicliffe (@alextrosbergfan) said on 24th December 2013, 0:40

My birthday is on Christmas eve 2003.

10. Alec (@vonhoff) said on 1st January 2014, 18:56

My birthday is 6th February 1989 :)

11. Luke (@lukes) said on 2nd January 2014, 16:17

Will be thinking of Schumi on my birthday tomorrow and wishing him a happy birthday and a speedy recovery!

12. Bosley (@bosley) said on 4th January 2014, 1:22

My birthday is today (4th of January)
    Meant to do this the past 2 years but i finally remembered this time.

13. Euro Brun (@eurobrun) said on 6th January 2014, 21:40

Like Bosley above me, I’ve been meaning to add my birthday for years.
    Might be too late for this year, but either way, its 10th January 1985 (this Friday).

14. Mashiat (@) said on 8th January 2014, 8:08

14th June 1999 for me. Any one else with the same birthday?

P.S. I got 850th comment :p

15. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 8th January 2014, 16:18

28th January 1996

Hopefully I’ll get a birthday shout-out in a few weeks!