What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

944 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 4 5 6 7 8 42
  1. Pabs1 said on 7th March 2009, 18:54

My Birthday was July 11th 1958 in Buenos Aires , Argentina

2. Stefano said on 7th March 2009, 19:24

28/06/1993: In that year Prost won hia last Championship.

3. Ratboy said on 7th March 2009, 20:04

Do I have to ask for mine in the same way as every or would I get mine down automatically? ;)
    either way it 5th June 1987 and please no one mention Sebastien Vettel!!!

4. D Winn said on 7th March 2009, 22:22

Yes Keith 1945 – war just ended !

Clive – I was in my peddle car before you were born :)

5. Heart of the Sunrise said on 7th March 2009, 22:49

24th November, 1989, if possible – off season unfortunately not long after the Suzuka controversy.

6. Noel said on 7th March 2009, 23:36

What a fantastic idea! You’re gonna have your hands full.

4th Dec ’75, if you’d be so kind. Cheers.

7. the week i was born moss beat the sharknoses in monaco!

8. Damon said on 8th March 2009, 9:49

Since I was born in January, nothing related to F1 happend. (Woah, that sentence sounds strange.)

But on the day after, Michael Schumacher would celebrate his 14th birthday. So on my birthday, his family must’ve prepared the cake :]

9. deadman said on 8th March 2009, 13:13

20 September 1987….

what happened on that day?

10. Chris said on 8th March 2009, 13:41

27 July 1979. Clay Regazzoni had won at Silverstone the weekend before to give Williams their first victory

11. Safety 1st said on 8th March 2009, 14:28

Not a good idea to give out your birthdate online. It makes it easier for identity thieves. Be careful

12. 10th May 1969 lots going on this year, will be at Barcelona

13. blake said on 9th March 2009, 0:00

I’m March 29th 1982. Yay i’m excited this year.

14. TisoyJrIII said on 9th March 2009, 3:08

23rd Sept. 1969, time again for night race in singapore

15. Victor said on 9th March 2009, 5:13

July 2nd 1991. Are they talking about the launch of the Ferrari 643? Because it’s 5 days before its racing debut.

16. Toby said on 9th March 2009, 6:23

9th October 1973. John Entwistle, John Lennon. That’ll do me! And still very young, thank you!

To Clive and all the other “oldies” – if you were young when Rock’n’Roll was born, you’re still young. To put it a different way – if Dvorak was still kicking when you were born, then you’re OLD!

I think I will relish answering this question myself. I suggest that (at least some) others do the same and post it here. Thanks for the inspiration, Keith!

17. Rhys said on 9th March 2009, 10:04

June 30, 1987. Same date as Ralf Schumacher.

Probably would have been something to do with the lead up to the French GP, which was the weekend after. Most of the time I don’t get a GP on my birthday (always get a World Cup match though) as it is usually the date between two races.

18. qazuhb said on 9th March 2009, 10:48

Keith: I believe ladies should be served first, followed by gentlemen in age order, from older to younger.
    (that way I won’t have to wait that much…;-) )

19. donwatters said on 9th March 2009, 12:38

My birthday, September 29, 1946, is before the modern era of F1.

20. Valentina said on 9th March 2009, 13:09