What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Autosport November 5th, 1981 (click to enlarge)

Yesterday F1 Fanatic celebrated its fourth brithday.

By sheer coincidence a couple of days ago I came across the issue of Autosport that was printed on my own birthday: November 5th, 1981 (see picture).

This got me thinking – can we find out what the big F1 news was on the day (or week) of all our birthdays?

So, post your birth date in the comments below and I’ll do my best to rummage through the stacks of Autosports, Motorsports and other motor racing magazines I have piled up to find out what was going on in the F1 world on that day…

An Autosport cover without F1 on it would be unthinkable these days – but on November 5th, 1981 the lead story was the Ivory Coast rally.

But the Formula Ford Festival is mentioned at the bottom of the cover – it was won by Tommy Byrne, a rival of Ayrton Senna. Byrne went on to have a brief F1 career and you can read more of his story in the excellent book “Crashed and Byrned” which came out last year.

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two

Autosport November 5th, 1981, page two (click to enlarge)

There was big news in the F1 world that week though. Carlos Reutemann, who had lost the 1981 world championship to Nelson Piquet in the last round of the season at Las Vegas, announced he was leaving F1. This left Williams with no drivers at all, as Alan Jones had already announced his retirement. Opposite page two was a story about Keke Rosberg leaving the tail-end team Fittipaldi.

Reutemann started the 1982 season with Williams but left abruptly, leaving them with Rosberg, who went on to win the title. On the same page is a story about John Watson turning down a drive with the team for 1982 – Watson remained at Mclaren and fought Rosberg for the title until the final round.

In other F1 news that day, Riccardo Patrese was finally cleared of wrongdoing in the accident that had claimed Ronnie Peterson’s life at Monza in 1978. Race starter Gianni Restelli was also foung not guilty by a court in Milan.

What was the F1 news on your birthday?

Post your birth date below and we’ll see if F1 Fanatic readers can find out what the F1 news was on the day you were born.

Read more: F1 Fanatic is four!

903 comments on What was the F1 news on your birthday?

1 5 6 7 8 9 54
  1. i was born 05 october 1983. in the recent calendars it either falls on the weekend of shanghai, japan, or in between those races. i wonder what f1 news was happening on my birthdate.

you can also send it to me via twitter :)

2. Feline-Fan said on 7th March 2009, 13:10

16th August 1967 – born between the German (Nurburgring) & Canadian (Mosport Park), GPs! Share by birthday with Ulrika Jonsson. Elvis also died on my 10th birthday!

3. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th March 2009, 13:21

OK rather than try to answer all of these at once I’ll do a series of posts next week with them in.

So far the age range covers 1945 to 1995! Keep those birthdays coming in and I’ll do my best to answer them…

4. starosta said on 7th March 2009, 13:28

Friday the 13th ;P March 1981

5. kevin hodge said on 7th March 2009, 16:19

1st. june, same as Martin Brundle and Ron Dennis

6. Saturday March 28th, 1981

7. AmericanTifosi said on 7th March 2009, 16:46

September 20th 1991

8. Whewbacca the Cookie said on 7th March 2009, 17:13

July 16, 1972

The day after Fittipaldi’s British GP win at Brands Hatch. July 16 was a day of some rather significant disasters (apart from myself being born):
    - The start of the East-West Schism
    - World’s first parking meter installed in Oklahoma City
    - Manhattan Project: Beginning of the Atomic Age. US successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon
    - Watergate Scandal
    - Saddam Hussein’s rise to power
    The list goes on and on :)

9. Scott Joslin said on 7th March 2009, 17:48

Interestingly – or not. I was born in December 1979, and my mum was pregnent at the British Grand Prix at Silvstone in July of that year and thinks that is the reason I liked F1 so much. That was also the race Williams won their first Grand Prix.

10. Miguel said on 7th March 2009, 18:06

May 8th, 1986

11. Pabs1 said on 7th March 2009, 18:54

My Birthday was July 11th 1958 in Buenos Aires , Argentina

12. Stefano said on 7th March 2009, 19:24

28/06/1993: In that year Prost won hia last Championship.

13. Ratboy said on 7th March 2009, 20:04

Do I have to ask for mine in the same way as every or would I get mine down automatically? ;)
    either way it 5th June 1987 and please no one mention Sebastien Vettel!!!

14. D Winn said on 7th March 2009, 22:22

Yes Keith 1945 – war just ended !

Clive – I was in my peddle car before you were born :)

15. Heart of the Sunrise said on 7th March 2009, 22:49

24th November, 1989, if possible – off season unfortunately not long after the Suzuka controversy.

1 5 6 7 8 9 54