2009 F1 cars: which looks best? (Poll)

willferrmcla_470150

It’s beauty contest time. The 2009 F1 cars are a strange looking bunch but there’s no mistaking some are better looking than others.

Which is the fairest of them all? Vote and check out pictures of each of the cars below.

Which is the best-looking 2009 F1 car?

• BMW F1.09 (5%)

Toyota TF109

Toyota TF109 pictures

Williams FW31

Williams FW31 livery - official pictures

Williams FW31 livery - official pictures

Williams FW31 pictures

Title picture via the F1 Fanatic drop.io courtesy of IDR. Other images (C) BMW ag, Brawn GP, Ferrari spa, Force India F1 Team, McLaren .com, Getty images, Renault / LAT, Getty images, Toyota F1 World and Williams / LAT

74 comments on 2009 F1 cars: which looks best? (Poll)

1. Chaz said on 9th March 2009, 11:58

This is an unfair poll as its very hard to choose with some so closely matched lol. You should have asked to vote for top three cars…

2. mkh1 said on 9th March 2009, 12:49

I voted for the Williams but I also think the Brawn looks fantastic. Maybe with a decent racing livery it could in fact be the best looking car.

Also I don’t see the obcession with the McLaren, it’s one of the worst looking cars this year.

3. Oliver said on 9th March 2009, 13:12

Its not easy selecting the best looking car as they are obviously set up in different configurations. Outside of a teams particular paint scheme, I believe the way, Williams and Toyota have designed their rear wing end plates, helps mask how ugly they look from certain angles.
    The Renault is looking very good until u get to the rear wings.
    So I’ll give the best looking car to the Williams, and Toyota a very close second.

4. Hugo Bourgeois said on 9th March 2009, 13:19

I wonder what a poll would look like where you can give your top 3. (as in: your n°1 gets 3 points, n°2 gets 2; n°3 gets 1.

I voted Mclaren because of the livery, but it would be like this:

1. Mclaren (3)
    2. Williams (2)
    3. STR (1)

5. PJA said on 9th March 2009, 13:25

I made my decision on the overall appearance of the cars, the physical shape of the car and the livery combined. So I voted for the McLaren.
    If I had to rank the cars the order would be

McLaren
    Williams
    Ferrari
    Force India
    Red Bull
    Toro Rosso
    BMW
    Toyota
    Renault

I haven’t ranked the Brawn GP as we haven’t seen the final livery yet, but if it is good it would easily make my top three.

The current silver/red livery of the McLaren would probably make it into my top 5 favourite liveries of the modern era.

Any car which still has extra aero pieces such as the deflectors in front of the side pods are marked down in the looks department for me, which is one the main reason I choose the McLaren. Also my personal preference is for the car’s nose to be low and wide, so if the Brawn car gets a decent livery it may be my new favourite.

If the Ferrari didn’t have the side pod deflectors, and if the front and rear wings were black like they were on the Ferraris in the late 1980s It would have been a hard choice between the McLaren and the Ferrari.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th March 2009, 13:46

Now you’re talking my language! 8-)

6. Damon said on 9th March 2009, 13:50

The votes for Red Bull and Torro Rosso should be added together, as they are the same one car.
    And so that car [combined] has got the most points. And although it’s not my fave, I like it a lot.

I picked Brawn as my favourite – because of the low nose it looks best. My 2nd choice would be Toyota, as the car has the best proportions, which is quite important seeing that most other cars look like they were designed through a distorting mirror :/

The Renault is so hideous it’s not even funny…

7. YeaMon said on 9th March 2009, 13:51

The Brawn…for now. I like the look of the unsponsored car. The color is bland, but it has a simple and clean look.

8. Mouse_Nightshirt said on 9th March 2009, 14:05

I’ve just noticed how “Walrus” nosed the Toyota is in this picture. It’s really not too dissimilar from that odd front nose that the Williams had.

9. Tom said on 9th March 2009, 14:08

By the end of the Aussie GP – about 6.45 pm (maybe later, we’re due another Melbourne pile-up) – we might all be glad that:

a) the Brawn has yellow flashes on, and
    b) most of the cars are different shapes

What will the light be like, that late in the day – will it be like the Ferrari shot above?

• Toby said on 9th March 2009, 21:14

Daylight savings has been extended as of this year, so apparently there won’t be an issue with light. My personal opinion, however, is that I hope it’s not overcast! In that case we could have an F1 farce in round 1. So early?

10. Damon said on 9th March 2009, 14:15

“if the front and rear wings were black like they were on the Ferraris in the late 1980s”
    – And 1990s. They were black until 1996. And yes – they SHOULD be black!
    They were still mostly black in 1997-99, when only the vertical side plates got painted red. So in the frontal view, the wings were still black (with “Marlboro” on the rear wing).

11. Fer no.65 said on 9th March 2009, 14:36

HOW’S THE MCLAREN WINNING???

IT HORRID!

12. Jay said on 9th March 2009, 15:17

Despite my Ferrari bias, it’s hands down Red Bull – that skinny nose just does it for me. Now let’s hope nobody convinces Adrian Newey to ditch the new horrible shark fin . . .

13. Jay said on 9th March 2009, 15:19

Oops! And by “nobody” I mean “somebody.” That fin is terrible.

14. XCesc said on 9th March 2009, 15:49

The Renault it´s by now the worst but I think that coult depent on the results…if the car wins some races will look much beautifull, last year the R28 at the beginning looks to me like a roller stone but at the end looks like a really beautiful race car.

15. Gman said on 9th March 2009, 17:39

The Renault got 39 votes? Did that many people makes mistakes and click on the wrong option? :)

16. KingHamilton said on 9th March 2009, 17:53

I voted for the Mclaren. although the Williams is a nice peice of ‘kit’ aswell.

17. Oliver said on 9th March 2009, 18:11

Oh I forgot to vote, but of course I can vote different from my narrative.

18. Toby said on 9th March 2009, 21:22

The Williams was shaping up to be a beautiful car, until they put the race livery on it. It doesn’t look as good as last year, and I’m not keen on the lighter blue.

The worry for me at this point, both aesthetically and as a supporter, is that it appears to have a totally different nose from the FW31 launch/shakedown, and I’ve noticed their times aren’t too hot since this has been applied.

I’m hoping for the sandbags to be dropped in Melbourne, much as the many, many McLaren supporters must be.

19. Toby said on 9th March 2009, 21:22

Voted for the RB5. It just looks good.

20. F1Yankee said on 9th March 2009, 23:16

tonight’s finalists:
    ferrari, williams and brawnda.

not making it past the first round:
    toro rojo and renault

my opinion is based only on the liveries. apart from a few distinctive features, i’d have to see the cars in person to perceive most differences.