2009 F1 cars: which looks best? (Poll)

willferrmcla_470150

It’s beauty contest time. The 2009 F1 cars are a strange looking bunch but there’s no mistaking some are better looking than others.

Which is the fairest of them all? Vote and check out pictures of each of the cars below.

Which is the best-looking 2009 F1 car?

• BMW F1.09 (5%)

Toyota TF109

Toyota TF109 pictures

Williams FW31

Williams FW31 livery - official pictures

Williams FW31 livery - official pictures

Williams FW31 pictures

Title picture via the F1 Fanatic drop.io courtesy of IDR. Other images (C) BMW ag, Brawn GP, Ferrari spa, Force India F1 Team, McLaren .com, Getty images, Renault / LAT, Getty images, Toyota F1 World and Williams / LAT

74 comments on 2009 F1 cars: which looks best? (Poll)

1. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th March 2009, 10:20

Surprised the Force India isn’t doing better I like it much more than last year’s.

• anirudh said on 10th March 2009, 4:32

talking about Force India(as usual), did anyone notice they have actually changed their logo?

2. mp4-19 said on 9th March 2009, 11:03

Its a very close fight b/w mclaren & red bull & and of course its photocopy toro rosso. I would on any day give more importance to aero detailing over livery. On that terms rbr & str score over mclaren. So kudos to adrian newey & his windtunnel for the hardwork.

3. Roger Carballo AKA Architrion said on 9th March 2009, 11:05

Hey Keith, thank you, bro

It seems I’m not the only one who thinks the whole grid is an ugly collection of something someone is trying to sell us as Formula 1 cars (you know, the fastests and most edged machines ever built….) Maybe we can win this poll, even starting with so much delay. :-)

• ajokay said on 9th March 2009, 11:37

I’m seeing it as a “If you HAD to choose one of the 2009 cars, which would you choose?” rather than foregoing the option altogether.

Yes there have been better looking F1 cars, but some of these are shaping up really nicely.

4. ukk said on 9th March 2009, 11:48

aparently, there are a few die-hard Renault fans who really voted for the yellow submarine that hit the reef nose-first :-) … or a few of Flavio’s (former) girlfriends who’ve only seen the designs from the years before he got married :-)

5. fastmike said on 9th March 2009, 11:49

the Ferrari P4 is the best looking followed by the Ford GT 40….. oh , sorry you mean F1 car lol…… none of them

6. Chaz said on 9th March 2009, 11:58

This is an unfair poll as its very hard to choose with some so closely matched lol. You should have asked to vote for top three cars…

7. mkh1 said on 9th March 2009, 12:49

I voted for the Williams but I also think the Brawn looks fantastic. Maybe with a decent racing livery it could in fact be the best looking car.

Also I don’t see the obcession with the McLaren, it’s one of the worst looking cars this year.

8. Oliver said on 9th March 2009, 13:12

Its not easy selecting the best looking car as they are obviously set up in different configurations. Outside of a teams particular paint scheme, I believe the way, Williams and Toyota have designed their rear wing end plates, helps mask how ugly they look from certain angles.
    The Renault is looking very good until u get to the rear wings.
    So I’ll give the best looking car to the Williams, and Toyota a very close second.

9. Hugo Bourgeois said on 9th March 2009, 13:19

I wonder what a poll would look like where you can give your top 3. (as in: your n°1 gets 3 points, n°2 gets 2; n°3 gets 1.

I voted Mclaren because of the livery, but it would be like this:

1. Mclaren (3)
    2. Williams (2)
    3. STR (1)

10. PJA said on 9th March 2009, 13:25

I made my decision on the overall appearance of the cars, the physical shape of the car and the livery combined. So I voted for the McLaren.
    If I had to rank the cars the order would be

McLaren
    Williams
    Ferrari
    Force India
    Red Bull
    Toro Rosso
    BMW
    Toyota
    Renault

I haven’t ranked the Brawn GP as we haven’t seen the final livery yet, but if it is good it would easily make my top three.

The current silver/red livery of the McLaren would probably make it into my top 5 favourite liveries of the modern era.

Any car which still has extra aero pieces such as the deflectors in front of the side pods are marked down in the looks department for me, which is one the main reason I choose the McLaren. Also my personal preference is for the car’s nose to be low and wide, so if the Brawn car gets a decent livery it may be my new favourite.

If the Ferrari didn’t have the side pod deflectors, and if the front and rear wings were black like they were on the Ferraris in the late 1980s It would have been a hard choice between the McLaren and the Ferrari.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th March 2009, 13:46

Now you’re talking my language! 8-)

11. Damon said on 9th March 2009, 13:50

The votes for Red Bull and Torro Rosso should be added together, as they are the same one car.
    And so that car [combined] has got the most points. And although it’s not my fave, I like it a lot.

I picked Brawn as my favourite – because of the low nose it looks best. My 2nd choice would be Toyota, as the car has the best proportions, which is quite important seeing that most other cars look like they were designed through a distorting mirror :/

The Renault is so hideous it’s not even funny…

12. YeaMon said on 9th March 2009, 13:51

The Brawn…for now. I like the look of the unsponsored car. The color is bland, but it has a simple and clean look.

13. Mouse_Nightshirt said on 9th March 2009, 14:05

I’ve just noticed how “Walrus” nosed the Toyota is in this picture. It’s really not too dissimilar from that odd front nose that the Williams had.

14. Tom said on 9th March 2009, 14:08

By the end of the Aussie GP – about 6.45 pm (maybe later, we’re due another Melbourne pile-up) – we might all be glad that:

a) the Brawn has yellow flashes on, and
    b) most of the cars are different shapes

What will the light be like, that late in the day – will it be like the Ferrari shot above?

• Toby said on 9th March 2009, 21:14

Daylight savings has been extended as of this year, so apparently there won’t be an issue with light. My personal opinion, however, is that I hope it’s not overcast! In that case we could have an F1 farce in round 1. So early?

15. Damon said on 9th March 2009, 14:15

“if the front and rear wings were black like they were on the Ferraris in the late 1980s”
    - And 1990s. They were black until 1996. And yes – they SHOULD be black!
    They were still mostly black in 1997-99, when only the vertical side plates got painted red. So in the frontal view, the wings were still black (with “Marlboro” on the rear wing).