Scuderia Toro Rosso STR4 launched – first pictures (2009 F1 cars)

Scuderia Toro Rosso STR4 - 2009 F1 car

Scuderia Toro Rosso STR4 - 2009 F1 car

The Toro Rosso STR4 has been revealed, meaning the 2009 F1 grid is now complete.

Unsurprisingly, the STR4 is outwardly identical to the Red Bull RB5, albeit with the usual Toro Rosso pain job.

Vote for the best-looking 2009 F1 car

Images (C) Getty images

38 comments on Scuderia Toro Rosso STR4 launched – first pictures (2009 F1 cars)

1. Adnan said on 9th March 2009, 10:43

In terms of engine performance, I don’t see any overwhelming difference between them. However, reliability is another issue – Exceptionally, Renault were allowed to make significant changes, I envisage that this might bring out a gremlin, or two.

2. ajokay said on 9th March 2009, 11:14

Now seeing the launch photos rather than just the studio ones, the blue is still darker and the gold is still gold. It must have been the studio lighting.

3. Chaz said on 9th March 2009, 11:54

Not bad, slick lean and mean…

4. Scott Joslin said on 9th March 2009, 12:55

It almost looks black in some pictures. JPS Lotus anyone?

5. Mouse_Nightshirt said on 9th March 2009, 14:01

Those pictures make Bourdais look like Heikki with a shaved head and glasses, and like Buemi has a very sharp point in his race seat.

6. I never really like the STR on TV but it looks awesome in person. I hope the team do well enough this year to justify the investment it’ll need for them to build a car next year.

7. iceshiel said on 9th March 2009, 16:33

looks great!

8. Jess said on 9th March 2009, 16:44

So it is RB5 with a differnt paint and engine, Ok I get that. So if next year they are to have to use the different chassie, Why not just call the whole team Red Bull Racing and now they have four cars with the same chassie, engine change optional? RB is a four car team why not just put it on paper that way and get rid of the STR banner? Can anyone anser that for me. BTW nice car but I like the RBR better.

9. Smitty said on 9th March 2009, 16:51

Very nice, the livery is – as ever – prettier than the Red Bull.

And I started drinking Red Bull Cola before the adverts started! :P

10. skuzz said on 9th March 2009, 17:06

looks alright… better than last years car. i expected the 09 cars to look weird but they do look better.

once again mclaren were running slow today and almost 3secs of the pace… they were running the 09 rear wing tho. lets just hope they get their ***** into gear.

11. interesting another team to have exploited the blind spot

12. Dorian said on 9th March 2009, 22:17

I’m loving both Red Bull’s and the Toro Rosso’s cars this season. As Keith said, if the cars perform as good as they look, they’ll kick ass this season. And I really hope they do.

13. Jay Menon said on 10th March 2009, 9:36

Very nice looking car, I love the nose, don’t ask why!

I think the cars will be very different, we saw that last year, although that was significantly down to the lack in Renault Horsepower. Having said, that I always felt, well from a viewers standpoint at least, the STR was easier to drive. Does anybody else share this opinion?