2009 F1 drivers helmets (Pictures)

Detail on the back of Alonso's helmet

Detail on the back of Alonso's helmet

Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Nick Heidfeld have all changed their helmet designs for the 2009 seasons. Several others have made minor changes to their designs.

Here’s a look at each of the helmets this year’s F1 drivers will be using.

Among the design details I like are the world championship playing cards on Alonso’s helmet (above). Kazuki Nakajima, like father Satoru, has his surname stencilled in huge letters across the back. The other sons of F1 drivers – Nelson Piquet Jnr and Nico Rosberg – both have designs that echo their fathers’.

Both the BMW drivers have striking designs, with Kubica’s lurid red lid and Heidfeld’s new green design ensuring it will be easy to tell them apart the year. Toro Rosso’s pairing of Sebastien Buemi and Sebastien Bourdais share more than just first names – their helmet designs are very similar too.

There’s long been speculation that Lewis Hamilton’s helmet design is an homage to Ayrton Senna’s in bright yellow – though his father claims that colour was picked so it would be easier to spot him at kart races.

2009 F1 season

Images (C) Renault / LAT, Getty Images, HondaRacingF1.com, Ferrari spa, Williams / LAT, BMW ag, www.mclaren.com, Toyota F1 World, Force India F1 Team

62 comments on 2009 F1 drivers helmets (Pictures)

1. Why do most drivers go for ridiculous, overly fussy and complicated designs that generally just look a mess?

I prefer the simpler designs like Barrichello, Piquet and Rosberg (but that tone of yellow is nasty).

I’ll bet that one of the Toro Rosso drivers will change their design also, they’re just too similar.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th March 2009, 19:23

I do prefer designs where drivers have something that contrasts the colour scheme of their car, like Massa, Hamilton and the BMW drivers’.

• Yeah but you know Schumi looked bad with the red right ;)

Yeah I like the contrast that Massa’s, Hamilton’s and Kubica’s have with their cars, it does stand out in a race and is easy to identify, just a bit less fuss would be cool.

2. Macademianut said on 10th March 2009, 16:40

This is a fantastic collection.

I hope we can have a similar gallery for steering wheels. Here’s one for renault.

3. gabal said on 10th March 2009, 16:48

Too bad Davidson isn’t on the grid this season, his helmet was the best looking one IMHO. I dislike that drivers change complete colour layout of their helmets just to fit better with car livery (Alonso, I’m looking in your direction). I wrote about it before and in my opinion helmets are the only remaining place where driver can get a bit of his personality expressed – it is supposed to be his symbol, not just another place where sponsors can put a sticker on…

4. Dan M said on 10th March 2009, 17:14

How did that make in on Boston.com? I’m pretty sure 99% of Massachusetts couldn’t name in F1 driver.

Is there a reason that Lewis has a yellow helmet? Has he always raced in that color? Most others tend to stick with sponsor colors or national colors (‘cept BMW)

• Chaz said on 10th March 2009, 17:25

As far as I am aware Lewis has a yellow helmet because he says it was a way of his dad being able to see where he was and how he was doing on the track especially in his karting days, as it stood out from the rest of the other helmets. Personally I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that he is a huge Senna fan…

5. Fer no.65 said on 10th March 2009, 18:03

nice one from Fernando!… the two poker cards are great, something you find quite usually among MotoGP riders. Love it!

Also, i always liked Button’s one… The way the British flag is desingned to fit the JB letters is spot on!…

Some otehrs are good, like TImo’s or Fisi’s… But you can’t forget now how good David Coulthard’s helmet was!

6. Loki said on 10th March 2009, 19:19

Renault not only have the worst livery, their drivers also complete the set with ugliest helmets.

Only reasonable, I guess, given that Buemi and Vettel will look like cans of Red Bull. Bourdais’s looks like the Asturias Flag, whereas Mark’s looks like the British Union Jack.

I kinda like the boldness of Nakajima’s helmet, though I wouldn’t go for it myself. Would have to say Nico’s got the nicest helmet – only just, mind you, that RBS visor sticks out too much for my liking.

7. Damon said on 10th March 2009, 19:59

There are no real hemlet designs among these :/
    Neither are they memorable nor distinguishable when seen in a cockpit. Maybe except for Rosberg’s (dad’s!) design, Piquet’s (dad’s!), Fisichella’s and Button’s.
    All others seem very random.

Also, only 4-5 drivers made use of their national flag (‘s colours) – in a way that it would be easy to figure out. This used to be such a great tradition back in the day.

8. Polak said on 10th March 2009, 21:52

Props to Kubica for putting his country’s flag on a large part of his helmet!

I don’t like Hamilton’s resemblance to Senna’s

9. Dorian said on 10th March 2009, 22:06

Loki, I agree with you regarding Renault’s livery. But I love the aces on the back of Alonso’s helmet. Class!!!

• Loki said on 10th March 2009, 23:58

I agree, the Aces are cool, here’s hoping next year he may have ‘Three of a Kind’ ;-)

Someone should have the Joker on them. Hmmm….I wonder which cards suit each Driver…

10. Dane said on 11th March 2009, 1:23

It would be good if they had their face on the top of the helmet, like Rossi did last year :)

11. Motion said on 11th March 2009, 7:22

coulthard and nakajima get my vote for best recent helmets

12. Renault now have the ugliest car. The worst driver : Piquet.

And the worst helmet : Piquet again.

13. It’s not like the good old days where they kept the same design for life.

• ajokay said on 11th March 2009, 12:22

It annoied me when Eddie Irvine changed his Irish colours for jaguar print when he joined Jaguar.

14. staggington said on 11th March 2009, 12:32

of course renault have the ugliest helmets to match the ugly cars, but i’ve never liked LH’s helmet. i think the world champ needs to come up with something more creative!

15. I like Lewis’s, some of the others are bit over designed.