2009 F1 drivers helmets (Pictures)

Detail on the back of Alonso's helmet

Detail on the back of Alonso's helmet

Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Nick Heidfeld have all changed their helmet designs for the 2009 seasons. Several others have made minor changes to their designs.

Here’s a look at each of the helmets this year’s F1 drivers will be using.

Among the design details I like are the world championship playing cards on Alonso’s helmet (above). Kazuki Nakajima, like father Satoru, has his surname stencilled in huge letters across the back. The other sons of F1 drivers – Nelson Piquet Jnr and Nico Rosberg – both have designs that echo their fathers’.

Both the BMW drivers have striking designs, with Kubica’s lurid red lid and Heidfeld’s new green design ensuring it will be easy to tell them apart the year. Toro Rosso’s pairing of Sebastien Buemi and Sebastien Bourdais share more than just first names – their helmet designs are very similar too.

There’s long been speculation that Lewis Hamilton’s helmet design is an homage to Ayrton Senna’s in bright yellow – though his father claims that colour was picked so it would be easier to spot him at kart races.

2009 F1 season

Images (C) Renault / LAT, Getty Images, HondaRacingF1.com, Ferrari spa, Williams / LAT, BMW ag, www.mclaren.com, Toyota F1 World, Force India F1 Team

62 comments on 2009 F1 drivers helmets (Pictures)

1. anirudh said on 11th March 2009, 13:54

reminds me of Narain Karthikeyan’s helmet…. :-C

2. Toby said on 11th March 2009, 23:58

I have trouble telling Button and Barrichello apart when at the track. I know the camera mounts are different colours, but I instinctively look at helmets to tell drivers apart. Those two look too similar at speed, much the same as when Webber was at Williams. The Toro Rosso drivers will be easy to tell apart, as the top of the helmet is what matters to me.

Hands down, in my opinion, the best helmet designs are Kubica, Heidfeld, Alonso (he’s gone national AND regional) and Rosberg, in that order, partly due to the above-mentioned reason.

3. Fernando must to draw one more card on the helmet:09
    2009 world drivers championship for Fernando.
    PUXA ALONSO

4. GarethW said on 12th March 2009, 16:34

The best looking helmet there has to be Kovalainen’s if u took all those sponsors off the helmet it would look even better. The worst looking one there has to be Hamilton’s I don’t know why but I just don’t like it.

5. Glocks helmet is fantastic, although it does have that sort of ‘motorcross’ feel to it.

Kubica’s colour scheme looks like he is going for a job at McLaren. Could this be a hint of things to come ?

The 4 x red bull helmets will all look like they are driving around with a can of Red Bull on their heads. Yikes.

I’m not keen on the red on top of Nando’s, but I LOVE the Aces. There’ll be another one to add to that pair soon, I’m sure.

I think though, that I’m going to vote for – now there’s an idea Keith, set up a poll for best helmet – Fisi. Clean lines, uncluttered and that ectoplasm green is just awesome.

6. For as much money as Formula 1 drivers make, and as hip and young they are, they really need to take a look a AMA motocross stars helmets because all of these are freakin’ lame!!! Seriously, the only one that has any design on it is the crown of Kimi’s helmet… and whats with the advertising all over their helmets- It’s too much and F1 teams need to realize you can’t put a sticker on every single piece of physical matter and expect people to really become die-hard about them. It’s a shame really. Give the drivers back their helmets… people will buy stuff if they like the personality of the driver and that is why they pay for the sponsorships anyway- they want to latch onto the drivers popularity. I’d go into how poorly cars are stickered/painted up, but its just too much… suffice it to say the India car looks like some sort of funland/mexican christmas nightmare.

In summary, I’ve been disappointed in the drivers helmets for a long long time and Heidfeld’s new green helmet is actually quite boring and, being a Kimi fan, I’m disappointed that someone who has tatoo’s doesn’t have more personality on his helmet.

7. hiya said on 27th March 2009, 21:28

I agree what you are all saying that the drivers should ot change their helmet design to match the car but arnt you all forgeting Raikkonen’s helmet?

8. Brawn said on 27th April 2009, 12:59

Lewis’ (Lewser) helmet is by far the worst, trying to pass himself off as senna.

9. McPhil said on 14th May 2009, 19:46

Hi Keith

Could you perhaps get a picture of the back of Hamilton’s helmet. I saw he has some sort of picture on the back, and I’d like to see what it is. Thanks for a great website!

And to “Brawn”, perhaps you should find out why his helmet is yellow in the first place…

10. manatcna said on 23rd May 2009, 0:02

I tend to use the camera mount colour, I find it’s usually easier to see, especially from a distance.

(obviously not from the back)

11. bambos said on 23rd May 2009, 17:56

very good pictures and a very good website
    perfect….thanks…!

12. very good pictures and a very good website
    perfect….thanks…!

13. I like Robert Kubica (BMW) F1 helmet 2009, good design!