The F1 Fanatic verdict is in: Ferrari are the top team heading into 2009

Felipe Massa to begin 2009 as he ended 2008 - with a win?

Felipe Massa to begin 2009 as he ended 2008 - with a win?

Last week I invited you to rank the F1 teams to see who everyone thought would be fighting for victory in the Australian Grand Prix next weekend.

Ferrari were the team that came out on top but everyone seems puzzled over just how quick McLaren are. Here’s the results in full.

1. Ferrari (1.75)
2. BMW (2.25)
3. Brawn GP (3.37)
4. Toyota (4.57)
5. McLaren (5.72)
6. Red Bull (5.79)
7. Renault (6.06)
8. Williams (7.02)
9. Toro Rosso (8.82)
10. Force India (9.70)

(average ranking in brackets)

No-one ranked Ferrari or Brawn GP lower than sixth, and no-one put Force India in the top five. Inevitably McLaren were the team that split the voting most.

Williams and Renault came out towards the bottom but in the days since the poll began they showed some improved form in the final test at Jerez. as this a genuine indication of improved performance – or were they just flattered by the absence of the other teams?

We’ll get our first definitive answers in one week’s time when the first practice for the Australian Grand Prix begins.

47 comments on The F1 Fanatic verdict is in: Ferrari are the top team heading into 2009

1. Oliver said on 20th March 2009, 13:23

LOL

2. The Limit said on 20th March 2009, 14:22

I hope we don’t see a one way, one driver championship, but if the rumours are to be believed, then Felipe Massa must be rubbing his hands together right now.

3. GQsm said on 20th March 2009, 14:31

Alastair – There is loads of development that goes on at the factory. They will be able to run new parts on the friday practice.

The Limit – Which rumour are you talking about?

• Derek said on 20th March 2009, 15:17

I thought I heard somewhere where they can still do strait line testing ie. airfield up/down. Also windtunnel and of course simulator, McLaren have a very good simulator I read.

I like the idea that McLaren have been testing parts for deep into the season. A few people will be shocked if Hamilton put it on pole in Oz!

4. I think so. Ferrari have World Champion Kimi, although I still believe he was more luck than good in 07, a great driver, Massa, despite his erratic style, and a front row car, if we’re to believe the tests, and more importantly they have uncle Bernie ready to bend a rule here or handout a dodgy penalty there. He ha made it clear that he favours Massa for 09!

;)

5. S Hughes said on 20th March 2009, 16:16

Keith, have you seen the press release from FOTA? http://www.teamsassociation.org/press-release/2009-03-20/fota-statement

Sounds like they are not taking this decision lying down.

6. Cameron said on 20th March 2009, 16:25

I’m going to the TAB tomorrow to put $100 on McLaren to win each title… if they pull it off, I’m loaded ;)

• tifosi4eva said on 20th March 2009, 22:13

Already been at the bookies, put a load on Alonso to take the WDC honours and Ferrari to take the WCC honours!

7. I would love to see one team expose the new medals system as flawed and unfair, something like Button taking the crown with 4 wins and 13 DNFs to Massa’s 3 wins and 13 podiums.

8. Damon said on 20th March 2009, 17:21

@ Chris
    Yeah, I’d like that too.
    I imagine Hamilton or Alonso quitting races when it’s sure they won’t win them.
    In the last couple of races we might have USGP 2005 all over again.

We’ve been having plenty of discussions recently about how much of a win should the second place be worth; the old 60%, the 80% that it’s been lately, or sth in the middle.
    But now – a second place is worth nothing. Zero. Nada. Nichts. Nic. Zilch.

• Kovy said on 20th March 2009, 21:14

Perhaps quitting races early on when it’s clear they can’t win, just to conserve the engine for the next race

9. arporter said on 20th March 2009, 17:49

I think there are 8 pretty solid teams who at this stage could be seen as race winners during the season but you wouldn’t put toro rosso and force india too far off the pace given a good setup

10. Mig@Golf said on 20th March 2009, 18:00

OK. That’s a list… but i think it’s more of a wish list for some folks around that just can see Lewis on top and only see italian red horses… This is all talk… in a week we’ll see it, live from Australia!

that’s my 2 cents.

11. Pete_Firestarter said on 20th March 2009, 18:12

F1Fanatics have got this survey spot on!

Maclaren CFD Engineers and Airodymicists have shot us in the foot! If Benny has his way, McClaren can afford to move those departments abroad and pay a £1Million pounds for their services! And who suffers? Us British well learned engineers!! Because of these highly paid underskilled CFD and Aero Engineers! I cannot believe how they got it wrong! I hope it is a tiny misconfig somewhere… Probably hiding behid someone i guess. Seen it loads of times,

Back to the list, that will not show show a big deviation come Melbourne!

12. Dorian said on 20th March 2009, 18:37

Should be an interesting start to the year. We wait with baited breath. I actually find the uncertainly of how far each team has come to be fantastically exciting.

I really hope Brawn GP are as fast as they appear to be, it would be brilliant if they kicked ass this season!!

13. pSynrg said on 20th March 2009, 18:57

To Keith, I’ve never felt so in touch with the sport I love. Many thanks for literally making the build up to the coming season as exciting as the season itself!
    I get the feeling you’ll be all humble and say the blog is a product of all that contribute.
    But it’s your blog and it’s brilliant! Cheers!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd March 2009, 11:19

Thanks very much pSynrg – I must say as much as I enjoy the off-season intrigue I’ll be very happy when we’ve actually got some racing to talk about!

14. tifosi4eva said on 20th March 2009, 20:50

Hmmm, can’t say I would agree with that, interesting to see what the masses think though; here is how I would have split it-
    1. Ferrari
    2. Renault
    3. Brawn gp
    4. BMW
    5. Mclaren
    6. Red Bull
    7. Toyota
    8. Williams
    9. Torro Rosso
    10. Force india

I am very interested to see where mclaren will be starting in Australia because they have been slow but have also been showing signs of improvement. As much as I dislike them you cannot expect a top running team with so much money and resources not to get the problem solved, then again having two relatively new drivers must not help.

15. Less than a week, and all will be revealed.

I am hoping for a 3 or even 4 horse season this year. I’ll even be happy if one of those is prancing so long as they are not the only one.