More mistakes at point-less Ferrari

It all went wrong for Ferrari at Sepang

It all went wrong for Ferrari at Sepang

Ferrari’s poor start to 2009 continued at Malaysia as they incredibly failed to score a point for the second race running.

It’s clear the F60 isn’t the fastest car in F1 this year – but they made things far worse for themselves with two major tactical blunders.

Felipe Massa’s qualifying was ruined when the team inexplicably failed to send him out to complete another lap in the first part of qualifying – despite an obvious mistake by Massa on his first run. A late flurry of fast laps dropped him out of the crucial top 15 and consigned him to 16th on the grid.

But, as if to prove their drivers get equal treatment, Ferrari dropped the ball on Raikkonen’s strategy during the Grand prix as well.

All the teams were watching the sky, looking for a change in the conditions, as Raikkonen made his first pit stop on lap 18. But surprisingly Ferrari chose to put him on full wet tyres, despite no significant rain having fallen. Meanwhile other drivers like Jenson Button came in on subsequent laps for more slicks.

In the four laps it took for the rain to arrive, Raikkonen destroyed his wet tyres on a largely dry track.

Eight years ago when heavy rain fell at Sepang Ferrari made a mockery of their opposition by timing their switch to intermediates tyres perfectly and winning with ease. Now it seems they can’t even get the basics right.

72 comments on More mistakes at point-less Ferrari

1 2 3 4
  1. joe said on 5th April 2009, 13:40

its an F60 lol

• Sush Meerkat said on 5th April 2009, 14:35

It’s clear the F2006 isn’t the fastest car in F1 this year

KEITH WAKE UP!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th April 2009, 15:04

Sorry guys – don’t mean to make excuses but I’ve got a cache problem at the moment and I have fixed the mistake once already. Should be OK now :-(

• Senor Paz said on 6th April 2009, 14:21

“Now it seems they can’t even get the basics right.”

Couldn’t agree more, Keith. You took the words right out of my mouth. Since when did Ferrari decide to go with these ridiculous gambles? The name ‘Domenicali’ comes to mind. What happened with Felipe on Saturday was laughable, but the stuff they pulled on Kimi really just made me feel like taking a break, getting a coke and an ice cream.

2. Abhishek said on 5th April 2009, 13:43

Keith,
    I think it is F60 for this year.

3. Oliver said on 5th April 2009, 13:44

This one was the oddest mistake I’ve seen in a while. Rain tyres on a dry track wear out completely in about 2 laps, they just burn out.
    Seems Ferrari are just knotting a noose round their neck for some reason, perhaps they are feeling guilty about something.

• the Sri lankan said on 6th April 2009, 0:01

in either case, thank god, Ferrari and Mclaren are doing bad. im kinda sick of tose two dominating the last two years. the new championship shows brawn 1st, Toyota 2nd and Bmw sauber 3rd in the WCC. how great would it be to see the three battling it out till the end of the season and williams joining in as 4th wheel?

• Pete said on 6th April 2009, 2:18

I’m with you Sri Lankan. I got exactly what I wanted with the shake-up from the rule changes, F1 got turned on its head!
      I’m not a big McLaren or Ferrari fan. While I respect them, I’m quite pleased to see them at the bottom of the standings and I’d be even more pleased if Ferrari went pointless all season.

4. Paige said on 5th April 2009, 13:44

They completely ruined Raikkonen. He was on pace to possibly challenge for a podium and was driving very well.

5. 159Tom said on 5th April 2009, 13:49

Do you think Ferrari or Force India will be first to score a point? ;)

6. benno said on 5th April 2009, 13:52

They try and live off past glory.

7. ajokay said on 5th April 2009, 13:56

As a Ferrari hater, I’m loving their start to this season. No wonder Kimi buggered off for a choc-ice rather than sitting around in the wet waiting for his team to mis-inform him again.

8. Hammad said on 5th April 2009, 13:59

They need Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn back…

9. Brundle’s comment was that you should try to be on the right tyres all the time. Gambles rarely pay off. Button won the race with no less than 4 pit stops.

If Kimi had been at the back of the field with nothing to lose, then maybe worth a shot. But it wasn’t like that.

• Clare msj said on 5th April 2009, 14:09

The right tyres at the right time is crucial, i agree completely – Glock i think is the best example of this from today and he did take a bit of a gamble – putting inters on when everyone took on wets and wets just as everyone had got inters – they called the weather perfectly! Button did well with that too, but it was Glock who led the way. Heidfeld was at the opposite end of it all, he only made one stop – also a gamble – to stay out on full wets and not take on the inters – paid off extremely well for him. :D :D

I do think you are right regarding Kimi – he was too far up in the pack for a gamble like that – and it was a huge gamble – our reaction was one of much suprise to take on the wets when it wasnt really even raining yet – and, surprisingly, it didnt pay off. Shame for him, i want him to get some points soon!

That said, I am slightly enjoying the Ferrari troubles, and the Mclaren troubles for that matter – not because i have a burning desire to see either team do badly, and I do want them both to start actually getting some points soon, its just incredibly refreshing to see the names who are topping the results. For years it has been Ferrari/Mclaren, with the odd appearance from Renault, or going back a bit further Williams – so I love to see these other teams having a shot – long may it continue – a nice close season between heaps of teams – its ace! :D

• Senor Paz said on 6th April 2009, 14:23

Indeed.

• Senor Paz said on 6th April 2009, 14:27

Oops, I meant to second copydude’s comments.

10. If I were Massa I’d prefer 0 points than half a point ;)

I don’t know if the problem is in the pits or with the drivers… I’d like to know who had the idea to put rain tyres at that time, and Massa’s saturday fiasco… personally I think it’s a team error.

other than that, I think they’re pretty competitive even without the difusor on steroids.

11. gareth said on 5th April 2009, 14:23

It’s clear the F2006 isn’t the fastest car in F1 this year

I truly agree with you on that point!!

12. Loki said on 5th April 2009, 14:31

Ferrari were lucky to get away with blunders last year because the car was good. This year, they should know better with the grid so quick and tight up front, and quite frankly they are not so.

At the moment they should be picking up points wherever and whenever they can, until they can challenge for a podium or points.

God knows when that car will be good enough to challenge the field, so I think they should stick to less risky strategies and play it safe for a while.

• David said on 5th April 2009, 15:01

Good point Loki. Losing these initial 4 or 5 points each race while they’re catching up on the diffuser gang could be crucial. Worse, Ferrari’s pit mistakes seem endemic (like McLaren’s management lapses) so we can probably expect more. Last year both teams threw away points and gave Kubica a half-sniff at the title. But this year they’re already playing catch-up.

13. Kherubim said on 5th April 2009, 14:53

“Only two teams are yet to score a point so far this year: Ferrari and Force India. How did the red team manage to get it so badly wrong twice this weekend?”

Keith, the answer lies (or sits) at the pitwall of the Brawn GP team, the same answer for how Schumacher could have won the French GP on a 4-stop strategy…

14. I wonder if both ferrari and mclaren dropped kers(less weight) – and copied the brawn diffuser they may make up some points? – probably they would be pulled before the fia for stealing someones ideas??
    It would poetic justice wouldnt it – on that how much ferrari inside knowledge has Ross???

15. It is a breath of fresh air not to have the likes of Ferrari and McLaren constantly dominate and lock out the front rows of the grid. It’s lead to an exiting start of the season.

Yep, keep up the good work Ferrari. :D