Eight non-F1 races I won?t miss in 2009

For me, the motor racing season start at Oulton Park with British F3

For me, the motor racing season start at Oulton Park with British F3

F1 is great – but it’s only on 17 times a year!

On other weekends I look elsewhere to get my racing fix – whether I’m in the stands or on the sofa.

Here are the races I’ll make sure to see in 2009 – what are you favourites?

British Formula Three, Oulton Park, April 11th and 13th

This is usually the first race I get to each season, at the Cheshire park circuit not far from my northern homeland.

Oulton Park is one of my favourite tracks: fast, undulating, narrow and challenging. From the inside of cascade you can see the cars plunge down the hill and off towards the Shell hairpin where they disappear out of view, returning a few seconds later as they hurtle towards Knickerbrook.

The British Formula Three and GT championships are a great value double bill, and the Formula Ford support race (where Damon Hill’s son Josh makes his debut this weekend) adds to the fun. After Oulton in April it feels like the season has truly begun.

A1 Grand Prix, Brands Hatch, May 3rd

Say what you like about A1 Grand Prix, it’s a fun series and this is a rare opportunity to see full-blooded single seaters racing on the classic Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit.

Plus, F1 Fanatic contributor Ben Evans will be doing the circuit commentary, so there’s two reasons to go!

Indianapolis 500, May 24th

The start of the 2008 Indianapolis 500

The start of the 2008 Indianapolis 500

The original great American race is not a patch on its former glory, thanks to the suicidal CART/IRL split of the 1990s.

Indy Car, now in its second year post-reunion, may not even manage to fill all 33 spots for the famous race.

But this is still a great race with an almost incomparable history. It always leaves me wondering which F1 drivers could best meet the challenge of covering 500 miles at an average speed of over 220mph?

Le Mans 24 Hours, Circuit la Sarthe, France, June 13-14th

Another of the classic races, though as it’s often clashed with the Canadian Grand Prix I’ve never seen it in person. If I get my act together I might finally make it this year.

Last year’s race was a memorable one, as the Audi R10s kept home favourites Peugeot from finally winning the race they covet the most.

This year Audi are bringing their new R15 out for one of its rare appearances, and Aston Martin are returning to the top class 50 years since their famous victory.

DTM, Norising, Germany, 28th June

I had a strange experience when I first visited Nuremberg in Germany in 1999. Part of a school history outing, we had gone to look at the Nazi parade grounds. But as we stepped off the coach I noticed some unusual marks on the floor ?ǣ grid hatchings.

I didn?t know at the time that the parade grounds had been transformed into a race track, and the gigantic concrete structures built for hero-worshipping Adolf Hitler were now used to give race fans a good view of the action.

And what action: the tight, five-turn street track is punishing and the brutish DTM cars are constantly jostling for position in among the traffic.

I haven?t made it back there for the race yet, but I?ll be glued to Motors TV for this year?s instalment.

Goodwood Festival of Speed, 3rd-5th July

Lewis Hamilton at the 2008 Goodwood Festival of Speed

Lewis Hamilton at the 2008 Goodwood Festival of Speed

OK, you got me ?ǣ it?s not really a race. But there is no event where you’ll find a more diverse collection of racing cars in action.

I first went in 2006, was bitten by the bug, and will be back for my fourth consecutive year this summer. Among the attractions are Jenson Button in the Brawn GP car and Lewis Hamilton demonstrating Ayrton Senna’s 1988 McLaren-Honda MP4/4. Unmissable.

World Touring Car Championship, Brands Hatch, 19th July

To be honest, I can take or leave the WTCC – similar specification cars to the BTCC (see below) but with less exciting racing, more team orders and way too much politics.

But the new Formula Two series is on the support bill, and I definitely want to see how that’s going to turn out.

British Touring Car Championship, Rockingham, 20th September

I try to make it to at least one BTCC race per year, and I have a huge soft spot for the oddball Rockingham track in Corby, Northamptonshire.

OK, so they don’t actually race on the full oval, but the view from the enormous grandstands is excellent, and the racing is always close and exciting.

What non-F1 racing events are the highlights of your calendar? Which tracks do you head out to the most? Have your say in the comments.

More about going to an F1 race

55 comments on Eight non-F1 races I won?t miss in 2009

1. kurtosis said on 10th April 2009, 9:02

Offtopic: When I first read the title I interpreted it in the sense that you are happy to be rid of something: “I won’t miss X.” So I thought these 8 races were being shelved for 2009 and you were saying you won’t miss them!

2. I’m planning to go to the TT Assen, MotoGP race. It’ll be my first time at a bike race ever.

3. Without having read all the comments, i’d say you shouldn’t miss the 24 hours of the Nürnburgring, the F3 race in Macau, and what about Dakar?

4. Jess said on 10th April 2009, 16:33

Keith, I would not recomend Pocono as a track to watch. It is the worst Cup racing. The best racing for NASCAR is Daytona, Talladaga, Bristol, Martinsville, and Darlington are good track to watch if you are intersted.

• Gman said on 14th April 2009, 19:59

Tell me about it- I think it’s everyone’s least-favorite track on the schedule. But it’s close to home for me, and the chance to catch a top-level motorsport event is a good deal no matter what the venue is. I’m not a NASCAR fan by any stretch, but it’s still a good day out at the circuit.

5. Jess said on 10th April 2009, 16:33

Laguna is about 3 hours away, I might go see the WSBK and MotoGP.

6. Well if anyone is stuck for a motor racing fix this weekend I strongly suggest Castle Combe (near Bristol UK) on Easter Monday which has 2x Formula Ford races, Formula Vee, Stock Hatch and more on the bill

7. Sigmund said on 13th April 2009, 0:12

We are four guys that went to GPs at Barcelona and Germany, this year we are getting our fix at Le Mans. Have been watching the ´69 race on YouTube and are hoping for a repeat.

Let the dominant R15s lead for a couple of hours and then let there be a close fight between Aston and Peugeot until the final corner. Apart from that we will only get the WRC and 24h hours of Nurburgring on free Norwegian television. Will be watching those.

8. Gman said on 14th April 2009, 20:05

In that Formula Ford support race for British F3, don’t forget top prospect Josef Newgarden as well as Hill’s son…

9. George said on 15th April 2009, 12:21

Hey you guys! you are forgetting the great HISTORICS & Classic Sports Cars -which still race & display thrilling racing as it used to be not so long ago, with out so many driver aids etc, a great spectacle to watch & particpate in too! Hope this opens up a new debate!,,,,,

10. Matt said on 15th April 2009, 13:47

Bathurst 1000 :)

And how this for an idea: for a few days after the race, while all the safety barriers and things are still there, let people pay to do a “fast” lap around in their own cars, like at the Nordschleife. Say no faster than 200km/h (put a radar on Conrod Straight perhaps). Would give everyone an outlet instead of trying to dodge the cops during the rest of the year. Get the laywers to draw up a water-tight waver to sign before driving around.

11. George said on 16th April 2009, 1:27

Erzberg Enduro in Austria, WRC Montecarlo Rally, 24hrs Daytona. Goodwood,

12. Visit http://www.proracingshop.com/cat1.cfm

Have a look at our Racing Merchandise. All of our embroidery is done direct on the fabric and some items even have small patches. Any one of our items would make a great gift wither you’re a racing fan or just enjoy supporting your favorite team.

Whether your love is Superbikes, Nascar Racing, Indy 500 or Rally Racing you’ll find the right item or gift in our store. All of our apparel is made of the highest quality fabrics and crisp bright colored logos. Our merchandise and apparel make for the perfect gift for any Motor Sport enthusiast. Team merchandise is also available including great names like Mitsubishi, Audi, Red Bull, Ferrari and BMW to name a few.

We have a wide selection of F1, NASCAR, Rally, and Motosport Jackets. A wide selection of Proracingshop Crew Shirts and Racing Jackets with names like Audi Rally, Renault, Minardi, Jordan F1, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes Benz, McLaren, Williams F1 team, Lamborghini, Fiat. We also have great Racing Jackets and Crew shirts for all car enthusiast including makers like Ford, Citroen, Toyota, Audi, Peugeot, Subaru and Volkswagen. Please take the time to look around at our site, there is something for everybody and many great gifts for every racing fans.

We also do Custom Work. You can add names or logos on your item or even design your own logo and we’ll put it on a shirt, hat or jacket for you to give it that little extra something.