No F1 game from Codemasters until 2010 ?ǣ unless you?ve got a Wii or PSP

F1 2009 logo

F1 2009 logo

The last official F1 video game came
out in 2006 – so there?s a palpable sense of frustration among many race game fans at the news Codemasters? ??next gen? F1 racer is at least another 12 months off.

Codemasters today confirmed rumours that their new F1 title won?t appear until 2010 for top-of-the-range formats like the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

However Nintento Wii and Sony PSP owners will get to play a new game based on the 2009 season this year.

IGN have done a preview of the 2009 game (unfortunately their image gallery isn’t working):

The team are adamant that Formula One 2009 won’t be an infantile take on the sport. Nor, however, will it be the sole reserve of the hardcore who salivate at the prospect of tweaking wing angles. “We’re trying to make an authentic recreation of the sport but at the same time we really want an accessible version,” declares the game’s producer Jason Wakelam.

Screenshots of F1 2009 for Wii and PSP have emerged. But inevitably given the lesser processing power of these machines they are well short of the standard expected from modern racing games.

The first details of the new game emerged a year ago and hundreds of comments have been posted on F1 Fanatic discussing what might be in it.

The wait for the ‘proper’ game goes on – and the delay will only raise expectations that the finished thing will be something really special.

In the meantime, I?m sticking to rFactor and its excellent array of user-generated F1 car and track models.

64 comments on No F1 game from Codemasters until 2010 ?ǣ unless you?ve got a Wii or PSP

1 2 3
  1. With the Codemasters, we will never get a real simulator based on Formula 1…

2. Cameron said on 23rd April 2009, 20:23

Game production costs are considerably more now, than ever before. For that reason, I always guessed codemasters would make the game accessible to as wide an audience as possible, otherwise, they just couldn’t make it financially viable.

It’s annoyed it’s still at least another year off, as the PS3’s F1 Championship Edition isn’t really that great, and horribly out of date. Thankfully, I’ve got a PSP3000 in dire need of a game I’ll actually play on it, so not all bad.

Come on codemasters, please, please put some options in there for die hard F1 fans like us that we can turn on to create as realistic simulation of the F1 experience as possible!

3. Jonatas said on 23rd April 2009, 20:24

My wife bought me a Ps3 specifically so I could go out and buy myself the F1 game only to find out it no longer was being stocked by retailers… Now I’m waiting for this new game that seems to never come.

I hope the game has mechanical breakdowns and unpredictable rain among other features.

• Gman said on 24th April 2009, 1:52

I am sorry to hear of your situation- I was considering doing the same thing, but I don’t want to shell out hundreds of dollars for even a used PS3 for just one game.

I don’t know where in the world you are at, but if you happen to be here in the U.S., try your nearest GameStop video game shop. I believe they have used copies for around $30-best wishes getting a copy :)

4. Skova265 said on 23rd April 2009, 20:36

f..k codemasters

• hitchcockm00 said on 23rd April 2009, 20:59

yeah, f**ck codemasters for wanting to make this the best game they can instead of rushing it out to make a quick buck. How could they be so selfish??

Having said that, graphically the wii/psp versions look horrible. And quite a large part of the immersion of simulations for me are the realistic graphics.

• hitchcockm00 said on 23rd April 2009, 21:00

ha, can you tell I’m not used to censoring my swear words?…

5. sultryBOB said on 23rd April 2009, 20:42

i wonder if they try to release it around the same time as that big screen phil hill movie with Tobey Maguire

6. Striay said on 23rd April 2009, 20:45

YEY me i got a Wii for christmass!!!

7. Richard said on 23rd April 2009, 20:59

this is stupid how long does it take, if they release it 2010 then they are going to have to do 2010 spec potentially the greatest year in f1 for many years will be missed in a game because of incompetence. Sort it out codemasters

• hitchcockm00 said on 23rd April 2009, 21:03

It’s obviously taking so long because they’re trying to make a very good game.

They’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t really. If they rushed it out in time to keep the impatient people happy then those very same people would complain if the game wasn’t perfect.
      Now that they’re trying to make the game as perfect as they can, people are complaining they’re taking too long.

Just be grateful that it looks like we’re going to get a well made, well thought out game for the first time in a long time. Instead of the usual money-grabbing rush jobs.

• Richard said on 23rd April 2009, 21:17

But how long ago was it announced that they have won the rights, they are pushing peoples patiences now

• hitchcockm00 said on 23rd April 2009, 21:27

And how long does it take to make a high quality F1 simulation for a next-gen console? I have absolutely no idea, and I doubt you do either.

Like I said, if it takes this amount of time to make something brilliant then just be patient because if they rushed it out and it was crap you’d complain even more.

• ajokay said on 23rd April 2009, 23:51

You really can’t throw a video game together overnight, or even over a few months. They’re not easy things to make. I wish more people would understand that.

8. Codemasters are a joke!

Get R-Factor for pc, I’ve been playing a F1 2009 mod since australia, and have fantastic versions of 08, 07, 06, 05, 91, 88, 79, 67….

I rest my case!

9. jochenrindt said on 23rd April 2009, 21:07

just seen the screen shots……total gash

10. Tommy said on 23rd April 2009, 21:19

EPIC I’m gonna get the wii one then :) Then Xbox one later

11. Spud said on 23rd April 2009, 21:21

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

12. Mikeman said on 23rd April 2009, 21:21

Man, I’ve been Play GP4 for 7 years and before that GP3 and so on… I’m yet to see a better ‘reality engine’ in any game. The only good think is that it’s almost open source and there’s so many more things done by everybody than the original game…. Season Packs, Tracks, Cars, Helmets, but the engine it’s the original and is still the best. Only today we can take all advantage from its graphics, because in those old days PCs were toasters…. if we put too much scenery, the car slowed down… the old processor couldn’t manage the needed frames per second…

I really hope something new is done and not based on 2 seasons ago… If people around can make a season pack before mid-season, why can’t a team of top programmers? Just keep it open as GP4, so we can go on rectifying your mistakes and updating the game from season to season. I miss the slick tires… I’m all fed up on those rugs and that unthinkable white line on Formula One car’s tires…

13. Alonso Follower said on 23rd April 2009, 21:29

As someone that has much much less F1 knowledge than most people on this forum, I’ve always restricted my comments to supporting Fernando and from time to time bashing Hamilton. However, guys, this time you’ve touched something where I think I can really add genuine technical value.

Guys, the Wii is, and has been for the last 3 years, the best selling gaming console in the world. Codemaster is releasing the game on the Wii only because it makes sense financially to do so. While the so called attach rate (number of games per console sold) is much higher for XBox and PS3 than for the Wii, the sheer numeric superiority of the Nintendo system makes it up on volume.

As for the much commented lack of power of the Wii in comparison with their generation counterparts, let me remind you that this is mostly a marketing ploy blessed by Microsoft and Sony. See, the Wii has less powerful graphics chip, true, but only if you want to output HDTV quality you’ll see the difference. At standard TV resolutions the Wii has equivalent graphics muscle to the PS3 and XBox. And since the Wii does not output HDTV, man, you’re rarely going to notice the difference in PERFORMANCE as you cannot measure it. Of course, there’s a difference in QUALITY of the graphics as HDTV looks better.

With regard to the other subsystems, the Wii is roughly equivalent to the XBox. Yes, the PS3 is in theory superior to both, but the complexities of Cell programming, with the time required to master it, have so far prevented the production of a game that takes advantage of nearly a fraction of its CPU power.

In short, if you don’t have a Wii get one. You’ll not be horrified by its graphics and you can enjoy the latest official F1 game earlier. You’ll not be deceived by the quality of the graphics. And some of the most plain fun titles are only for the Wii. Yes, I know Mario Kart is not comparable to F1, but is a hell of a lot of fun racing game.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd April 2009, 21:37

Is that so? This is obviously not my area of expertise, I’ve heard a lot of hype about the Wii but I didn’t know it was backed up by sales.

In that case it does make sense as presumably the cost of developing a game for a less technically capable system is much lower?

• Cameron said on 23rd April 2009, 22:31

Sorry mate, but the Wii’s graphical power doesn’t even come close to the Xbox 360. It would be much fairer to compare it to the Original Xbox or the PS2. Not saying anything against the Wii, or Nintendo, but to claim that it’s comparable to the Xbox360 of processing power is ludicrous.

For me, I’ll grab it on PSP. I don’t have a Wii any more… I hated the childish gimmick games. I was hoping for more adult content like the N64 that never arrived, so bye bye Wii ;)

Got PS3 and Xbox360 though… not decided which one I’ll get the 2010 game on!

(PS people, add me on Xbox Live and/or PSN – EvilWalksWithMe )

• chrisgent said on 23rd April 2009, 22:35

yes thats right. wii and psp have best selling numbers by far.
      and ur also right, that wii games make a lot of fun. but there are a lot very good fun-acarde-racing games yet like mashed, trackmania or as said mario kart.

so i doubt a wii f1 game will be a good arcarde game compared to what we have already.

what f1 fans need is a great f1 simulation. no that modding **** like rFactor: just unrealistic

• ajokay said on 23rd April 2009, 23:56

You’d be correct Keith, but it still takes a lot of time and work, even for a large team.

The Wii is currently the world’s best selling console, and has sole well in excess of the PS3 and Xbox 360. All this inspite of only being twice as powerful as the Gamecube, and falling well, well short of Sony’s and MS’s specs. I’m surprised they haven’t announced a DS version of the game too. They’re just trying to get this game to as many people as possible.

I may well buy the 2009 version for my Wii to help whet my appitite for the2010 version on me Xbox.

• Matt said on 24th April 2009, 6:08

“In short, if you don’t have a Wii get one. You’ll not be horrified by its graphics”

If only that comment was tongue-in-cheek. I have played a few games on a friend’s Wii and was appalled. The console equivalent of buying a new car without ABS.

And don’t get started on the stupid controllers…

• I don’t have space in my room for a console of any description, so it looks like I’m waiting for the PC version.

• Mouse_Nightshirt said on 24th April 2009, 23:14

Keith:

This a website with vague stats on sales of each console so far. The Wii has sold more than the 360 and PS3 combined.

14. Bigbadderboom said on 23rd April 2009, 22:38

Anyone critisizing Codemasters for this decision is at best ill-informed. They are trying to deliver what we demand, an in depth game which does justice to F1. The r+d involved is far from that which geof crammond had to deal with when developing the popular gp series. If by gettin a psp and wii version out first helps them to continue financing the next gen versio (PS3 and 360) then hats off to them. as Hitchcock says “they are damned if they do and damned id they don’t”

I say be patient, the games market is littered with games bought to market before completion. Let Codemasters finish the game and then decide. I love my F1 and I love gaming, and history tells me to wait, it will be worth it!!

15. Adam Lewis said on 23rd April 2009, 22:41

Keith the Wii is backed up by the sales. It should also be cheaper to make the game. Also I hope the the game use motion control on the Wii because otherwise in my eyes it makes no sense to make the game on the Wii

1 2 3