Rate the race: Bahrain Grand Prix

Jenson Button takes his third win of 2009 from fourth on the grid. What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Rate it out of ten and have your say below.

Rate the 2009 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• 10 - Perfect (3%)

Total Voters: 1,848

Loading ... Loading ...

45 comments on Rate the race: Bahrain Grand Prix

1 2 3
  1. nopk said on 26th April 2009, 14:42

This had to be one of the most exciting starts to a GP ever.

It ended a bit boringly, but boy, was I out of my chair and cheering on the first three-four laps!

2. Tommy said on 26th April 2009, 14:42

Great start then it was boring. Another race ruined by Trulli being completely useless and forming a Trulli train to ruin the race

3. I would have rated it more than 4/10 last year, but this year, it’s a sad throwback to 2008.

Double Diffusers = bad. Speed difference through tyre calls = artificial. The only thing that could have salvaged this would be KERS for everyone (or no one), and more points difference within the podium positions, and between 3rd and 4th.

After all, Vettel was content to sit behind Hamilton for the longest time! First really normal race of the year and it’s back to normal, albeit with different teams at the front…

4. ajokay said on 26th April 2009, 14:47

3/10 – boring.

Aside from the first 3 laps, I think I ended up daydreaming on my bed.

It’s quite disheartening to hear Martin Brundle say half way through the race that the Toyotas ‘Might have to pass someone to win the race’ rather than loitering around waiting for pit stops.

And that’s exactly what they did. Hamilton following Vettel following Trulli for god knows how many laps was no fun, and shows that these new regulations have done nothing to spice up the action where there is a lack of rain or incidents that draw out the safety car.

Can’t wait for next year when they’ll only need to spend 3 seconds in the pits changing the tyres

I was hoping for something more from Bahrain, which has, along with Spain, China and Hungary, has been traditionally the most dull track and race, and especially the worst of the Tilkedromes. But sadly, I clearly got my hopes up too much. I really hope they can think about reverting to decent, and capasity-crowded tracks that provide exciting racing.

Well done Button for finding your way to the front, just a shame it was so, so dull.

5. Katy said on 26th April 2009, 14:49

Great start, then a very dull race. Not a favourite track of mine but I was hoping for something a little better than this…boring.

6. sasbus said on 26th April 2009, 14:51

I thought FIA was trying to make F1 more interesting. Then why have we assisted for three wins out of four races from the same driver?

• David (Brazil) said on 26th April 2009, 15:42

And FIA wanted to award the WDC to the driver with most wins! I know it could and probably will change, but at this rate Button would win in August (Spa), leaving 5 more or less meaningless races to close the season.

7. Tommy said on 26th April 2009, 14:58

All these rule changes and all they really needed to do was ban Jarno Trulli from racing

8. Sergiy Sh said on 26th April 2009, 15:04

Not bad for Vettel. :) 18 points in two “normal” races

9. Boring dull track made for a lifeless race apart from the first few laps. Looking forward to good European tracks now :)

10. the overall was boring!
    but the pit out’s were exciting!
    and good for Ferrari! they finally got points

11. Ninad said on 26th April 2009, 15:13

7 points………..

12. James_mc said on 26th April 2009, 15:15

I think if KERS didn’t have such stringent limits on it’s functionality, the KERS teams would be doing much better, to the extent that the other teams would struggle on tracks like Bahrain

13. Gwenouille said on 26th April 2009, 15:17

Not the best of races this year, but the start was fun, and tyhe strategies added some interests. But i don’t like the track really. I can’t believe that Donington, Silverstone, the A1Ring in Austria and The french GP are struggling (or have disappeared) while this boring track will be a regular stop for years to come…
    Bourdais finished before Massa !
    Well done J. Button, but I hope the year will be more than a Button/Vettel fight.

14. Patrickl said on 26th April 2009, 15:20

Wow tough crowd. I seem completely opposite to most votes here. I don’t like rain races with their fake spectacle, but I loved this race:
    - Great honest F1 strategy
    - lots of overtaking
    - lots of fights going on over the whole length of the grid
    - great drives from Button, Hamilton and Raikkonen who seemed to perform better than would be expected from their cars.

I’ll take a proper race like this over any rain soaked “lottery spectacle” any day.

• Owen G said on 26th April 2009, 20:48

Hear, hear. I gave it a 7 – a very enjoyable race. Lots of interest throughout and just because cars weren’t hitting puddles and spinning off every lap didn’t make it boring.

Also, I quite like the track. I think it makes for good and different viewing having a race in the desert. And although people complain about the large run off areas, how often were they actually used? I thought all the drivers did a great job of keeping it in the track.

• hitchcockm00 said on 27th April 2009, 19:34

I don’t see how rain races are spiced up artificially. The excitement, drama and mistakes come from the drivers skills truly being pushed to the edge lap after lap. There’s no time to relax, no time to just sit behind another driver for a few laps until you pit (like we have at every dry race).

It’s not a lottery if the most skilled wet drivers come to the front with some spectacular driving and the poor ones make mistakes and crash.

15. An amazing start with so much overtaking, cars ducking side to side defending and attacking was very entertaining.

For me the race remained good, wishing button along for the win!

1 2 3