Rate the race: Bahrain Grand Prix

Jenson Button takes his third win of 2009 from fourth on the grid. What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Rate it out of ten and have your say below.

Rate the 2009 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• 9 - Fantastic (6%)
  • 10 - Perfect (3%)

Total Voters: 1,848

Loading ... Loading ...

45 comments on Rate the race: Bahrain Grand Prix

1. Chua said on 26th April 2009, 15:21

5/10 probably a little harsh, since the start was great, but I was just a little disheartened to see the cars unable to make much ground after the first few corners of following each other. They mostly drifted into oblivion once they couldn’t pass after a lap or so, main exception being Glock behind Kim at the end, and Trulli holding up a few others while on less optimal tyres.

Is it a problem with the track? They seemed to be passing each other ok in Sepang.

2. kurtosis said on 26th April 2009, 15:22

I thought it was alright. There were a few interesting battles:
    1. Webber vs. Kova, though the director didn’t show much
    2. Raikonen vs. Glock over a few corners
    3. Barrichelo vs. Piquet (I thought Piquet defended very well)
    4. Massa vs a ForceIndia (Fisi?) :D
    5. And f course, the first 3 laps, which were the best in a long time.

But I did think it was surprising difficult for a faster car to pass a slower car. Maybe the nature of the passing hairpins allows easier defending because the exits are so much slower.

• Patrickl said on 26th April 2009, 21:39

I think it was mostly the KERS cars that were difficult to overtake. Piquet, Raikkonen, Hamilton and Kovalainen al could put up a fight against faster cars because their KERS gives them an edge.

• Lewis said on 27th April 2009, 7:48

Agreed – I felt quite sorry for Barrichello, he was massively faster than Piquet’s mobile chicane pretty much everywhere, but all Piquet had to do was press the big red button on the exit of each corner…

3. Dan Thorn said on 26th April 2009, 15:28

The first third was fantastic, particularly when the cars in the midfield in the first 3 or 4 laps were passing each other left right and center but
    Toyota spoiled what could have been an interesting race by going with the prime tyre in the middle stint, which led to Trulli holding up Vettel and allowing Button to have it easier than he might have done. Had they stuck with the option for the middle stint it may have been closer and more interesting towards the end.

I actually think Bahrain is one of the better modern tracks, usually a good amount of overtaking and at least the country and organisers are genuinely passionate about the sport. Of the newer tracks Valencia, Istanbul, Shanghai and possibly Malaysia and Singapore are all much more boring, and of the older tracks Barcelona and Hungary are pretty uneventful.

• Gman said on 28th April 2009, 3:55

Good post bud, but the organizers in any country are pretty passionate about the GP- otherwise they wouldn’t be organizing it ;) As for the country being passionate, I have never been to Bahrain, but it’s so small and well-controlled that perhaps it is easy to get people to come out to the event. Kudos to them for having some full grandstands, but I doubt the passion there would ever approach the venues in Europe and North/South America.

4. BORING, but what else can you expect from a boring circuit! in the midle of a boring dessert. they don’t have tree’s, f1 fans (exept Clapton with a ferrari cap) , girls and last but not least no alcohol…. and i don’t like Herman Tilke tracks….. with all the safety zones….. where is the danger and adrenaline ? after 2 laps its completly gone…..

5. Chua said on 26th April 2009, 15:37

Yes, I felt the Toyota decision really was a factor in making the race much less exciting than it could have been, which was disappointing for me personally really.

Thinking back, the start was fantastic, and there was much overtaking initially, but as I said, once the cars were stuck behind a slower car for a while, didn’t feel like that was much that could be done if the driver in front stayed error free. Probably had my expectations raised unrealistically. Race wasn’t that bad though, after thinking more about it.

6. i’m loving this season so far. also thought di montezemolo emerging from his stronghold to give everyone a kick in the butt was hilarious. raikkonen really was faster today. maybe LDM should attend every race..

7. Loki said on 26th April 2009, 15:44

I feel a bit generous giving it 6/10 but I’m giving it the benefit of doubt seeing as I fell asleep :)

At least Ferrari have scored, it’s not all bad.

8. David A said on 26th April 2009, 15:52

5/10 as the start was brilliant, but it descended into a dull race, but at least Ferrari scored.

9. Mahir C said on 26th April 2009, 16:13

At last a proper race. Button and Brawn were awesome today, they had the best race pace even though they had to compromise their pace for cooling. Button’s overtake on Hamilton was mega, pure outbraking and it was on a KERS car!. I would take this boring race over China. I want a race not a circus.

10. Mouse_Nightshirt said on 26th April 2009, 16:21

7/10

Based virtually all on the opening laps – some of the best fighting I’ve seen on a first lap for a while. F1 Focus had 1st lap footage from Webber which showed how crazy it was at the back.

I guess I’m quite a fan of the strategic side of things. The question mark over Button’s strategy made it quite interesting for me.

11. rahim said on 26th April 2009, 17:28

KIMI WAS AWESOME

12. 159Tom said on 26th April 2009, 22:33

Some great hairy action up the back in the early laps – and another fantastic pass by Jenson, this time on Lewis. But otherwise, another event ruined by nerdy strategists trying to keep the cars apart on the track.

Bring on the refuelling ban, 4/10.

BBC’s onboard view proved its worth today – watched the start from Lewis’s car, and was able to see Rubens getting more and more wound up behind Piquet! Great stuff.

13. Cameron said on 27th April 2009, 5:54

I recorded the race to watch after work… ended up falling asleep on the couch with about 20 laps to go. Woke up just in time to see the podium.

I get the feeling my dreams were probably considerably more entertaining the the race unfolding on the screen in front of me.

Personally though, I’ve never been a fan of Bahrain or the GP’s run there. So, more of the same for me.

14. Bigbadderboom said on 27th April 2009, 10:47

I recorded it and watched it Sunday night (Kids wanted to go mountain biking!!) I though it was ok, Bahrain is a pooor circuit as a spectacle, but the racing was good, F1 is more than overtaking and crashing, it’s currently more about strategy and quick thinking on the teams part. Brawn are the masters at the moment and I enjoy that element of it all. It will be diffeerent nest year

• Gman said on 28th April 2009, 3:59

F1 is more than overtaking and crashing….

I watched the Sprint Cup race at Talladega later in the day, and was reminded of that. They are really lucky drivers and/or spectators don’t get injured there every time they race.

15. Gman said on 28th April 2009, 4:00

Good race overall- certainly not great, but a good start and a few good battles. I was disappointed that Nakajima couldn’t finish the show, as it would have been neat to see every car finish on a good day.