‘Most wins’ system confirmed for 2010

The world champion in 2010 will be the driver with the most wins

The world champion in 2010 will be the driver with the most wins

Contrary to what I wrote here yesterday, F1 will be using ‘most victories’ to decide the champion in 2010. Leahonard_e pulled me up for missing a crucial line in the new 2010 regulations:

The Formula One World Championship driver?s title will be awarded to the driver who has been classified first in the greatest number of races, all official results from the Championship season being taken into account. Points will be awarded to all drivers in accordance with Article 6.4 below and, in the event that two or more drivers win an equal number of races, the driver with the greatest number of points will be awarded the driver?s title.

Is the FIA doing the right thing by changing the F1 points system?

The rules for 2010 are starting to look a real headache. We’ve already got teams running to two different sets of technical rules depending on whether they’re competing under the budget cap or not.

And the FIA has confirmed the driver with the most points won’t necessarily be the world champion in 2010 – it will be the driver with the most wins.

It’s not clear from the regulations what the value of a win is in a shortened race. Was Jenson Button victory at Malaysia a ‘whole win’ or a ‘half-win’?

Will the new systen make much of a difference to the championship? And does it disprove the conspiracy theory that the FIA were never interested in introducing the ‘most wins’ system, and only proposed it to deflect attention from the budget cap?

133 comments on ‘Most wins’ system confirmed for 2010

1. Another giant two fingers to the real fans that keep the sport alive.

Cheers Bernie. The feelings mutual.

2. Keirdre said on 4th May 2009, 10:40

While I strongly doubt this will have any impact in changing the results (judging by past seasons), I do find the concept sickeningly stupid, and I am not looking forward to it one bit. Hopefully we’ll get a U-turn before then.

3. Damon said on 4th May 2009, 10:43

DISASTER.

So, this season it would’ve been:
    3 – Button and 1 – Vettel so far. Barichello is irrelevant, despite often coming in second and having plenty of points.

4. Paolo said on 4th May 2009, 10:50

This point system makes sense with a capped budget environment (fixed money, lots of technical freedom).

Teams can be encouraged to experiment solutions moving budget from reliability-related development to speed-related ones without fearing compromising their championship.

Teams willing to be less conservative, drivers willing to be more aggressive (thanks also to the refuelling ban) lead to interesting races to me…

And, Keith, I think a win is a win (no half-wins), and this is an example of how this system can really make things simpler (and funnier).

5. Sam said on 4th May 2009, 11:07

actually, part of my problem with the wins system being introduced this year was the refuelling. This might actually spice the racing up a bit as drivers will race on the track. Some may stay out on long shot tyres in order to win and we could well see some very dramatic final few laps.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

6. Oliver said on 4th May 2009, 11:15

@Paolo, A win is a win. Its silly then to then give half points for it. It will be contentious of such a race like we had in Malaysia were to occur in 2010, when a win is classified as such but awarded 5points. If 2 drivers then end up with the same number of wins, and lower positions, but without the same number of points, how will that be decided.

7. Sush Meerkat said on 4th May 2009, 11:40

leahonard_e gets this months Columbo award for outstanding detective work.

Keith, shame on you young man.

Firstly damn and blast, just increase the score differential, secondly the medal system will turn into “sponsorship” city, with medals based on sponsor logo’s which makes them doubly rude, rubbish and worthless.

8. RIP F1 said on 4th May 2009, 11:45

2mins silence on the blog before the start at Catalunya for the death of F1…..!

9. Bigbadderboom said on 4th May 2009, 11:45

Crap………

10. Stealthman said on 4th May 2009, 11:49

I think I’m going to cry. :(

11. I said it many times before and I’ll say it again…the current points was introduced to reduce “certain” drivers’ chance of winning the championship mid-season.

Just reset the points system to what it was pre shoemaker’s era of terror and be done with it!

12. Owen G said on 4th May 2009, 12:09

I do wish people would stop using extreme examples to back up their arguments against most wins. I’ve nothing against that opinion, but I’d rather it be backed up with realistic arguments. Extreme examples are easy to conjure up but do little to help either side of the argument. EG, under the current system a driver could win the title without winning a race.

Personally I think most wins could work. But that’s just my opinion. And clearly not many others share it!

This rule change has caused the most controversy but I don’t think it will have anywhere near as much impact on F1 as the 2 tier technological rules.

13. Well, it looks like the 2009 Abu Dhabi GP will be the last F1 race I ever watch…

14. win248F1 said on 4th May 2009, 12:37

so one of the most competitive driver ONLY NEEDS TO WIN HALF OF THE SEASON ROUNDS (plus one). then he could go shopping or whatever, cause he is ALREADY A CHAMPION. TOTAL CRAP!

• Giuseppe said on 5th May 2009, 9:11

Just winning half is enough as he would have the most points anyway.

I wonder if the teams can threaten to boycott this weekends GP unless Mosley is out. Its the only way to save F1 against this mad man.

15. CRM said on 4th May 2009, 12:43

The most wins system is meant to make drivers ‘battle’ for the win – but as soon as they do so they are penalized by the stewards (think Spa 08 or Australia this year).

The 201o season might be over a year away but it is looking like a right complicated mess of a season already.