This time the FIA really has dropped the ‘most wins’ rule for 2010

Next year's championship won't be decided on wins after all

Next year's championship won't be decided on wins after all

The FIA has now dropped the ‘most wins’ championship system for 2010. It release a revised version of next year’s rules unannounced earlier this week.

It had previously left the rule in the version of the regulations published after last week’s World Motor Sports Council Meeting.

The original document (dated April 30th) read:

6) WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

6.1 The Formula One World Championship driver’s title will be awarded to the driver who has been classified first in the greatest number of races, all official results from the Championship season being taken into account. Points will be awarded to all drivers in accordance with Article 6.4 below and, in the event that two or more drivers win an equal number of races, the driver with the greatest number of points will be awarded the driver?s title.

Points will be used to establish the remaining overall Championship standings.

The revised document (dated May 6th) on the FIA website now reads:

6) WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

6.1 The Formula One World Championship driver’s title will be awarded to the driver who has scored the highest number of points, taking into consideration all the results obtained during the Events which have actually taken place.

The move has been noted on several F1 blogs but largely ignored in the rest of the motor racing media.

It reminds of the FIA’s mistake during the McLaren-Ferrari spying controversy when it released a PDF in which it believed it had censored out sensitive references to aspects of McLaren and Ferrari’s cars – when in fact the censorship could be easily reversed. Although it attracted widespread discussion online many F1 sites ignored or missed the story.

It’s worth stating once again that this mistake was made by a governing body which claims it can cope with running ‘two-tier’ technical regulations next year. I for one don’t believe they’re capable of getting that right any more than they did this.

And their attempt to hide their mistake and hope no-one will notice it does not fill me with confidence either.

If you want to compare the two sets of regulations for yourself you’ll find them in the F1 Fanatic drop.io.

40 comments on This time the FIA really has dropped the ‘most wins’ rule for 2010

1 2 3
  1. win248F1 said on 9th May 2009, 0:00

thank God they don’t use it. any chance using the 12 points winner Keith?

2. HounslowBusGarage said on 9th May 2009, 0:02

Y’know Keith, something makes me think the FIA haven’t a clue what they’re doing.

• Wesley said on 9th May 2009, 0:27

….you feel that way too?

• I don’t know anyone who thinks otherwise.

• F1Yankee said on 9th May 2009, 0:45

i think they do, although the system is from another century.

my opinion of this change is this: despite universal rejection of bernie’s lame medals, max pushed it because he wanted something from bernie. now, either the deal fell apart, or there’s a new deal. the fia may be trying to appease the teams and drivers, or (ssshhhhh)…the fans.

3. pSynrg said on 9th May 2009, 0:23

Phew!

4. scunnyman said on 9th May 2009, 0:52

Thanks for making this issue clear now Keith. At least you can get things sorted and organise things properly.

This latest debacle by the FIA shows they are not competent to run the motor racing world.

And i agree again Keith, how can even possibly think they can run a 2 tier championship with the capping rules they want to use from 2010.

Could anyone really police such a situation?

I doubt anyone could run the FIA worse than these guys?

5. CRM said on 9th May 2009, 1:17

Like everyone else I am so happy to hear this. I wonder what Bernie’s response will be – he seemed dead set on pushing through the winner takes all rule.

6. Jonesracing82 said on 9th May 2009, 1:37

FIA seem incapable of running 1 set of regs, let alone 2…..

7. TommyB said on 9th May 2009, 2:09

THANK GOD!! Just use 12 points for first

8. taurus said on 9th May 2009, 3:00

excellent news!

9. I saw this quite by accident as I printed a copy to put in my “mark-up” book. I had done the April 30 edition already and saw a May 6th date on the latest release. So, I printed and was putting page 1 april edition followed by page 1 May edition. They did not match. I thought I had discovered something, but others had seen it too.

I am now looking to see what else they may have sneaked through. Or I could just wait until Keith sorts it out. I know he and his guys will. Good work!

10. Stealthman said on 9th May 2009, 3:49

Rejoice, children, for Salvation has arrived. ;) I’m so relieved. :D

11. This is good news indeed, but the cynic in me wonders why? It’s not often Bernie backs down, after all.

12. carldec said on 9th May 2009, 4:48

glad to hear they dropped it…

but what a clown factory… got to be the dumbest ruling body in all of sport.

13. ILoveVettel said on 9th May 2009, 5:49

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Ace said on 9th May 2009, 5:49

I’m a bit over the FIA/Max/Bernie bashing.
    It was a small error that was swiftly corrected.

I choose to be pleased that the current points system remains, rather than being infuriated by the FIA’s mistake.

F1 is fantastic at the moment. Who do we have to thank for that?

15. ILoveVettel said on 9th May 2009, 5:52

Keith, could you please let us know what else are the discrepancies over the the two sets of published regulations…

1 2 3