Rome Grand Prix track video lap

Earlier this week we got our first glimpse of the Rome Grand Prix circuit.

Now they’ve an official website has been launched with a video lap of the proposed track.

The 4.8km circuit shown in the video has some differences compared to the tracks seen earlier. Specifically, it features quite a few more slow corner, presumably to reduce the speed of the cars in places where there is insufficient run-off.

This could prove problematic – the chicane installed at turn 10 at the Singapore circuit for this reason was widely criticised.

The track has 28 corners and a projected race distance of 66 laps.

Situated in the south of Rome, the area is served by a motorway with good links to the nearby Leonardo da Vinci airport.

64 comments on Rome Grand Prix track video lap

1 2 3 4
  1. Macademianut said on 14th May 2009, 23:18

Great.. nice video showing McLaren chasing Ferrari. Great Italian Job! :)

2. epi said on 14th May 2009, 23:29

“and a projected race distance of 28 laps.” ??

3. Nitas said on 14th May 2009, 23:38

Race distance of 66 laps.

4. Steve_P said on 14th May 2009, 23:42

That picture of the track at the end of the video looks a lot different than the picture on the post from yeaterday.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 15th May 2009, 0:44

I noticed that. When I saw the proposal yesterday, I found out where it was on Google Earth and measured it to be just 3.2km. When I saw that video, I instantly noticed th 4.6km bit.

5. the_tomster said on 14th May 2009, 23:55

Truth be told, I think I liked the earlier design more. Seemed simpler and shorter. A nice break from the usual modern ~5 km tracks.

6. Alex Bkk said on 15th May 2009, 0:45

Well I like to see a bit more, say from the perspective of a helmet cam. I didn’t notice a start finish line, is that another track map? I’m guessing it’s on the long straightway before the first hairpin?

Downside:
    1. I used to go to the Long Beach GP (CART)…the best action was in the hairpin near the Aquarium…lots of opportunities for getting it wrong and bringing out the safety car. A little rain will achieve the same result.

2. I’m counting 2 hairpins…so if I’d get a seat at the end of either and drink my vino there and hope I could see the rear wings of the cars as they drove past hidden by the concrete barriers. A bunch of big screen TV’s for me to watch the rest of the race on…almost as good as being in my living room.

Upside:
    1. The exhaust note will be awesome bouncing off those concrete barriers.
    2. I’m in Rome…have fun.

7. Fer no.65 said on 15th May 2009, 0:58

their are planning the construction of a Grand Prix circuit at Rome and they do that kind of video? :P

not the best quality ever done… the rFactor Donington Park pictures were much better… this one even has a Ferrari with the sound that is quite similar to the 2005 Renault V10 :)

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 15th May 2009, 2:11

Would you rather they spent all the money on the video presentation or on building the track?

• Chris said on 15th May 2009, 8:35

After all that video of donnington might be the closest we get to a track.

8. scunnyman said on 15th May 2009, 1:36

Yes very cool video looks like it might be fun to see as an extra race so long as we don’t lose important races off the calendar.
    The cars would need the monaco steering setup of course for the tight hairpins. and a nice sweeping straight.
    I agrre that on onboard video shot would be better.

9. Ted said on 15th May 2009, 1:37

So despite passing the second place Ferrari twice, Hamilton still ends up third behind both Ferraris. Looks to me like the stewards got involved once again.

10. Peter H. said on 15th May 2009, 3:18

So Ferrari placed 1st and 2nd, while McLaren placed 3rd? So Ferrari places 12th and 13th, while McLaren grabs 14th. I was half expecting to see a Force India not far behind.

All kidding aside though, this track looks incredibly simple and equally awesome.

11. Matt said on 15th May 2009, 4:43

28 bends!! Is that all? Can’t they get it up around 50 or more? lol

Personally I’d prefer the simpler version

12. explosiva said on 15th May 2009, 4:57

wow. this video wasn’t informative at all!

13. mp4-19 said on 15th May 2009, 5:46

was that a rfactor simulation? not very good graphix. smooth anti-alising & antroscopic filtering is required. i would still prefer to have a race in a traditional circuit rather than rome. i dont like the modernization of ancient cities like london,paris,rome. there r so many abandoned circuits of europe that can be used. we all know how chaotic rome is. just imagine the traffic nightmares rome has to put up with for 3 days during the race weekend. bernie is pushing for too many new circuits too quickly. there are rumors there is going to be yet another street circuit in the capital city of india,new delhi.i think it is also something similar to rome,where the circuit winds it way through monuments.imo what we need now is a really high speed circuit like the old hockenheim , avus or even the old silverstone. but they must keep hermann tilke away from circuit design dept. i think i saw a video in youtube .it was a circuit that had a mixture of all favourite corners of homilton, like eau rouge,130 r etc. is it possible to design such a circuit?will it be a success?

link

• John H said on 15th May 2009, 8:33

Unfortunately, the regulations I think mean you will never see another Eau Rouge designed afresh ever again.

This track does not inspire me at all I’m afraid. Stop these street circuits!!

14. Andrew said on 15th May 2009, 5:55

They won’t go that fast with all the new restrictions ;D

15. SamS said on 15th May 2009, 7:28

This video must have been done a while ago, Ferrair look quick with Mclaren up there with them! also sponsored by vodafone and have grooved tyres! it looks ok, but personally i think we have got enough street circuits now!

1 2 3 4