Six decades of great F1 drivers in Igor’s collection of pictures and autographs

The pictures include some of F1's most dramatic moments

The pictures include some of F1's most dramatic moments

Remember I said I didn’t see the point of autographs? I take it all back. Have a look at these great pictures from Igor’s massive collection of F1 driver autographs.

From Vettel to Andretti, and Massa to Scheckter, his collection spans six decades of Formula 1 and mainly centres around Ferrari drivers, plus a few others including Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham.

He’s even got a picture of the infamous 1997 Schumacher-Villeneuve collision signed by both drivers, and one of the 1990 Senna-Prost clash with Prost’s autograph.

Igor explains:

I wrote to many retired Ferrari drivers. I send only best quality pictures, mostly 20 x 30cm and always add a nice personal letter.

With all responses I have and some really nice words from such legends like Dan Gurney, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, Jacky Ickx, Chris Amon, and others. I truly believe that they enjoy this as much I or other collectors do.

Having autograph on a nice racing photo or a candid portrait, creates one of a kind item and makes a special connection.

I sent Ross Brawn a letter last month with some photos from Australian and Malaysian GPs. Last year it “worked” with Gerhard Berger, I sent him a letter congratulating on Vettel’s victory at the Italian GP with lots of photos of him driving for Ferrari, as well as of Vettel and Boudais.

A small selection of Igor’s photos are below. To see the full lot visit his Picasa page here.

If you can top that collection – or even approach it – I’d love to hear about it. Drop me a line via the contact form or you can share pictures on the F1 Fanatic drop.io.

32 comments on Six decades of great F1 drivers in Igor’s collection of pictures and autographs

1. mani said on 14th May 2009, 7:43

That is one hell of a collection Igor… Nice work that is!

Keith the responses were nice, especially the first one :) – very nice indeed. But, just would like to know, whose words are they? yours? or excerpts from somewhere?

• Hi Mani
      Indented paragraph after “Igor explains” is from my email to Keith. So, these are mine :-)
      Well, I love F1 (as all folks gathering at this terrific site), I have deep appreciation of F1 photography, this is an art in itself. And it’s just a hobby for me, a real fun.

2. Ninad said on 14th May 2009, 7:51

WOW!! Really great work DUDE!!

3. Scott Joslin said on 14th May 2009, 9:23

Very Jealous Igor. When I was 8 (1988) I wrote to Nigel Mansell and got a very nice picture and signature. Makes me want to find it and dust it down.

I think it is great that drivers and team figures can find the time to respond to requests like this.

4. Journeyer said on 14th May 2009, 9:28

This is just… amazing. :O

Just… wow. I’m just awestruck.

5. Really great stuff. Wish I had the patience to do it.

6. Journeyer said on 14th May 2009, 9:51

Just a question about this image – it says it came from August 1979, but it already mentions his death in Zolder in 1982. How did that happen?

• IDR said on 14th May 2009, 10:02

I think this is the image of a photocomposition Igor made using the pic of 1979.

• This came from a well known German collector. The photo was signed sometime between 79 and 82, and he assembled whole display after Gilles’s death.

7. mkh1 said on 14th May 2009, 10:42

Very impressive collection you’ve got there. I can’t believe you got both Villeneuve and Schumacher to sign that 97 picture.

8. Journeyer said on 14th May 2009, 10:49

Oooh, I see. A shame – he should’ve maintained the original picture.

9. mp4-19 said on 14th May 2009, 14:50

very nice collection. ironically u so a senna photo there. aida was his penultimate race. i think he was hit from behind by mika hakkinen. Igor are you from soviet union?

10. mp4-19 said on 14th May 2009, 14:52

how did u manage to get the signatures of both massa & raikkonen at singapore.they must have been really furious after the race.

• Sent photo to my “source” in Maranello… got it signed. At the end of the day, it was racing… things happen, stupid things, brilliant things, it’s all part of history how. I guess they are cool about it now.

11. theRoswellite said on 14th May 2009, 14:54

Wonderful, wonderful shots. Congratulations, especially on obtaining the autographs.

I’ve been able to attend some first rate races over the years, and worked at trying to get quality work…it really requires effort. Many tracks and promoters make no effort to have photo opportunities open to anyone other than those with credentials. This is a bit sad as many fans also suffer from the photo bug.

My best effort at getting close, other than showing up as a rep of the newspaper in my small town, was to sneak into the pits at Long Beach at around 4:30 AM…sit down…and watch everyone else show up. Those shots were great,but they finally nailed me.

It would be very “fan friendly” if more tracks were proactive about photo locations and limited passes.

• Well, shots aren’t mine. They are all found on the net, some recent ones (Vettel, Massa) from this particular site. Thanks to Keith :-). I just selected what I REALLY liked and did my best to get them autographed.

12. F1Yankee said on 14th May 2009, 15:30

thanks for sharing these. very nice!

13. PJA said on 14th May 2009, 15:59

Great collection, I always find it interesting to find out about other peoples F1 memorabilia.

So generally, do people on here with F1 photo collections download pictures from the net and print them out using a decent photo printer or do they buy prints from professional sources?

• I always use photo lab, always looking for high-res pics on the net, always looking for great racing scene or portrait photo, selecting best of the best to be sent to a driver. I have probably three thousands photos, maybe about thousand high-res, good to be printed at 20 x 25 cm or better at 20 x 30cm.

14. _Ben_ said on 14th May 2009, 16:14

I have Jim Clarks autograph somewhere in the house, Will try and scan it and upload it.

An aunt of mine got it at Mosport Park in Canada in I think it was ’64. He was there for lower Formule race. Not F1.

15. Swen said on 14th May 2009, 16:37

Just fantastic. I’m going to see if I can make good wallpapers out of some of my favourites here.