Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Rate the race and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix out of 10

Total Voters: 1,997

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2009 and 2008 Rate the Race results

95 comments on Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

1 2 3
  1. Mr Soap said on 24th May 2009, 14:49

Boring race, boring championship.

2. Tim said on 24th May 2009, 14:50

anyone know where i can watch the race online?

3. TommyB said on 24th May 2009, 14:50

1/10. New ‘exciting’ rules. Championship pretty much over. This is not good

4. persempre said on 24th May 2009, 14:51

Oh how can you rate Monaco?
    Processional but always the most spectacular event on the calendar.

5. Gervz said on 24th May 2009, 14:53

6/10 Not bad, but I’m getting really bored with the new ‘domination’ of Brawn GP, unlikely that any team can beat them now, unless Brawn runs out of money!

Although it’s great for Button…

6. 40_thieves said on 24th May 2009, 14:55

Agreeing with Mr Soap. How the hell can the media claim this as a brilliant thing for F1? Last year – exciting (last corner, last lap, last race anyone?). This year tiresomely predictable and utterly boring.
    Rule changes, while making cars prettier, were utterly terrible. Plus media claiming it as the greatest story on F1. Total crap.

• TommyB said on 24th May 2009, 14:59

I agree with everything you just said. It’s not a fairytale, its boring. If this was McLaren or Ferrari everyone would be saying this is boring. It’s not good for Formula One this championship is RUBBISH!!!

• John H said on 25th May 2009, 17:43

I agree also, apart from the prettier cars comment!

7. Robert said on 24th May 2009, 14:59

I started to find it really boring about half way through, i enjoyed the race more last year.

8. Test Driver said on 24th May 2009, 15:01

Well I voted perfect, why? Cos you know what’s even more boring, you lot complaining constantly. I enjoyed watching the whole race, and the top 4 drivers were great!

Why if you constantly complain about the sport, do you even like. Go home.

• Hear, hear.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 24th May 2009, 16:23

I have a theory as to that: everyone has an idea of how the races should be run, and every time a race plays out differetly to that view, they see it as confirmation that they are right and the Powers Tht Be are wrong.

Yes, Monaco is processional, but hopefully that’s it for now. The last four races have been on circuits notorious for producing processional races: two Tilke-dromes, the most notorious testing circuit and the streets of the Principality. Istanbul might be another Tilke circuit, but the likes of turn eight and he anti-clockwise direction at least give it a bit of soul.

• Dougie said on 25th May 2009, 0:36

I voted Perfect and, TD, you got it spot on… there ain’t nothing boring about this race… I love F1 and this race had my emotions on a high! Top 4 were great!

9. simonrs said on 24th May 2009, 15:05

I think the descriptions of the numbers are misleading. 5 – bit dull – correct. 6 – not bad, not accurate monaco description. but i want to give it 6/10!

10. Jim said on 24th May 2009, 15:05

Shut it you whingers! :)
    If you want the results to be unpredictable, go and watch nascar or something. And were you actually expecting racing at Monaco?
    Brawn have designed the best car, and you lot are going to hold that against them!?

• TommyB said on 24th May 2009, 15:07

We don’t hate Brawn. We just want a race! Only the Brawn fans find this interesting. They enjoy Brawn more than F1.

• mmmmm i agree with you jim !!! are all the whingers on here really true F1 fans ? me thinks not . we have now the prospect of having a new british champion elect a nice guy who has been in a terrible car for years but who has stayed loyal to his team & is now showing us all just how good a driver he is. so i say well done to all at brawn for giving us all something to smile about & making it a very interesting season much to the displeasure of the big boys !!! so go & win it jenson us true fans are behind you all the way !!!

11. mark my words. mclaren will win this race. i’m damn sure of it. just look at their record. you’ll be left with a hollow feeling after the race

words marked

12. Navs said on 24th May 2009, 15:07

We all know before going into Monaco that there will be little to no overtaking. So please answer the question conditional on that information!

• persempre said on 24th May 2009, 15:16

That`s the problem, Navs.
      I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Brawns were faultless. The Ferraris have made leaps & bounds.
      Yet, how do we rate Monaco as a race when the drivers can`t truly race there? It doesn`t detract from my enjoyment of the spectacle nor of my admiration for the drivers ability to maintain concentration around those narrow streets.

13. Lee said on 24th May 2009, 15:11

The racing was never going to be all that exciting, but the first 15 laps were brilliant. I enjoyed watching the race, I appreciate the skill of the drivers round this kind of track, didn’t make it boring for me at all. What was boring was seeing people have some sort of vendetta against Brawn and Button.

14. Was a good race. 7/10

15. sasbus said on 24th May 2009, 15:19

By mid season Button/Brawn can claim the championship. They would then go for long holiday and let us watch same good races.

16. Bigbadderboom said on 24th May 2009, 15:25

I don’t undertstand some people posting here, we talk about the technical side, the stratagies, and all the other back stories, but how can it be described as boring, I watch with the F1 live timing and there was some great startegic battles unfolding, the option tyre wear on the red bulls and the anticipation of how the Feraris would deal with it in the final stint. Watching how BMW and Toyota are totally failing to understand their car.
    I think some people are watching the wrong series, any F1 fan knows in the current regulations much of the winning is done in the design rooms, the pit lanes and in the heads of those working out the strategies.
    I voted 6/10.
    Well done JB, RB and Ferrari, McLaren wasted an opportunity this week!

• Jim said on 24th May 2009, 15:43

Hear, hear, Bigbadderboom. You just put it much more succinctly than I ever could.

• Patrickl said on 24th May 2009, 16:00

Yet these strategies never came into play. The Brawns were well ahead before the Ferrari’s and Webber switched to the super softs. Noone on a different strategy was behind them

Maybe the first 20 laps or so were exciting, but after that it was basically a done deal.

• John H said on 25th May 2009, 17:49

I think that a lot of F1 fans would claim that things like two vastly different compounds of tyre, and refuelling to ‘spice up the show’ are actually bad things in terms of racing.

For me, away from the reasoning, I just don’t feel that into the championship yet – but I guess that’s just subjective. Perhaps guys like Button and Vettel are just too likable! :)

17. Chua said on 24th May 2009, 15:25

That was great, I felt. And no, TommyB and all the haters, I don’t support Brawn. (I’m a Red Bull fan) Plenty to talk about and analyse. As Monaco races go, I thought that was par/above average. (I voted 7/10 btw)

As Keith said in the race liveblog, and me to some people on our local forums, this is NOTHING like 2004. Button’s car certainly wasn’t the fastest in Bahrain, probably not the fastest in Spain and here, but a combination of critical errors by rivals and Brawn and Button being absolutely supreme has resulted in this.

The past three races could well have gone Trulli – Vettel/Barrichello – Kimi. There might be many who would have preferred that, but I know I’m enjoying myself marveling at Button’s awesome drives, and Brawn getting their strategy spot on.

18. KingHamilton&co said on 24th May 2009, 15:27

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn…..

blimey, even monaco is dull this year……all we want is a different winner!

Earwell, I guess Ill go watch Nascar or something….

19. Greg Beckett said on 24th May 2009, 15:33

Monaco has me gripped. Normally you need as much concentration as the drivers, one toilet break and damn, why the hell is the safety car out when you come back?

It was interesting in the opening stages with the Vettel train, however for Monaco it was a pretty processional race.

Some tracks are judged on overtaking, I’d judge this one on attrition and surprise results, and just seeing a faster driver push a slower one in front to the limit. Like Button v Trulli when he just missed his first race win. Sadly the cars were rather spread out, there wasn’t much going on by the end. There were some nice moments of drivers stringing the cars out and saving back ends.

I’d rate it as an average Monaco race.

20. 40_thieves said on 24th May 2009, 15:36

To all those complaining of a vendetta against Brawn. Lets look at the facts Button is now 26 points ahead of Barrichello, Brawn is 43.5 points ahead of Red Bull. We are already talking about Button easing off to maintain champoinship. That was round 6! If he was called Schumacher and he drove a red car then we’d be complaining of how dull it was.

• Jim said on 24th May 2009, 15:45

Yes, it might be dull for some, but half of the point of F1 is designing a better car than everyone else.

• sasbus said on 24th May 2009, 16:24

I suspect that the people who would cry boring would be those claiming that this was a great race.

1 2 3