Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Rate the race and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix out of 10

• 10 - Perfect (2%)

Total Voters: 1,997

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2009 and 2008 Rate the Race results

95 comments on Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

1. Bigbadderboom said on 24th May 2009, 15:25

I don’t undertstand some people posting here, we talk about the technical side, the stratagies, and all the other back stories, but how can it be described as boring, I watch with the F1 live timing and there was some great startegic battles unfolding, the option tyre wear on the red bulls and the anticipation of how the Feraris would deal with it in the final stint. Watching how BMW and Toyota are totally failing to understand their car.
    I think some people are watching the wrong series, any F1 fan knows in the current regulations much of the winning is done in the design rooms, the pit lanes and in the heads of those working out the strategies.
    I voted 6/10.
    Well done JB, RB and Ferrari, McLaren wasted an opportunity this week!

• Jim said on 24th May 2009, 15:43

Hear, hear, Bigbadderboom. You just put it much more succinctly than I ever could.

• Patrickl said on 24th May 2009, 16:00

Yet these strategies never came into play. The Brawns were well ahead before the Ferrari’s and Webber switched to the super softs. Noone on a different strategy was behind them

Maybe the first 20 laps or so were exciting, but after that it was basically a done deal.

• John H said on 25th May 2009, 17:49

I think that a lot of F1 fans would claim that things like two vastly different compounds of tyre, and refuelling to ‘spice up the show’ are actually bad things in terms of racing.

For me, away from the reasoning, I just don’t feel that into the championship yet – but I guess that’s just subjective. Perhaps guys like Button and Vettel are just too likable! :)

2. Chua said on 24th May 2009, 15:25

That was great, I felt. And no, TommyB and all the haters, I don’t support Brawn. (I’m a Red Bull fan) Plenty to talk about and analyse. As Monaco races go, I thought that was par/above average. (I voted 7/10 btw)

As Keith said in the race liveblog, and me to some people on our local forums, this is NOTHING like 2004. Button’s car certainly wasn’t the fastest in Bahrain, probably not the fastest in Spain and here, but a combination of critical errors by rivals and Brawn and Button being absolutely supreme has resulted in this.

The past three races could well have gone Trulli – Vettel/Barrichello – Kimi. There might be many who would have preferred that, but I know I’m enjoying myself marveling at Button’s awesome drives, and Brawn getting their strategy spot on.

3. KingHamilton&co said on 24th May 2009, 15:27

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn…..

blimey, even monaco is dull this year……all we want is a different winner!

Earwell, I guess Ill go watch Nascar or something….

4. Greg Beckett said on 24th May 2009, 15:33

Monaco has me gripped. Normally you need as much concentration as the drivers, one toilet break and damn, why the hell is the safety car out when you come back?

It was interesting in the opening stages with the Vettel train, however for Monaco it was a pretty processional race.

Some tracks are judged on overtaking, I’d judge this one on attrition and surprise results, and just seeing a faster driver push a slower one in front to the limit. Like Button v Trulli when he just missed his first race win. Sadly the cars were rather spread out, there wasn’t much going on by the end. There were some nice moments of drivers stringing the cars out and saving back ends.

I’d rate it as an average Monaco race.

5. 40_thieves said on 24th May 2009, 15:36

To all those complaining of a vendetta against Brawn. Lets look at the facts Button is now 26 points ahead of Barrichello, Brawn is 43.5 points ahead of Red Bull. We are already talking about Button easing off to maintain champoinship. That was round 6! If he was called Schumacher and he drove a red car then we’d be complaining of how dull it was.

• Jim said on 24th May 2009, 15:45

Yes, it might be dull for some, but half of the point of F1 is designing a better car than everyone else.

• sasbus said on 24th May 2009, 16:24

I suspect that the people who would cry boring would be those claiming that this was a great race.

6. beneboy said on 24th May 2009, 15:38

I thought it was a good race.

The first 15-20 laps had lots going on, we got a bit of an engine saving phase in the middle with some more action towards the end.

I thought the cars were better to watch this year, plenty of movement through the corners and some good 4-wheel drifts along the barriers for a few of them. Watching Massa really pushing it close to (and at times over) the limit of the track was great.

In the context of the Championship we’ve seen the start of the Ferrari fightback, they had some good speed and managed to avoid any major errors and will hopefully push on in the next few races. Toyota & BMW seem to be going backwards while Force India were only one position away from scoring their first point.

It might not have been a classic, you normally need rain at some point in the weekend for that at Monaco, but I thought it was good and gave it 7/10.

I still think the new rules don’t go far enough and that we need to see another massive reduction in aero grip.

7. Mahir C said on 24th May 2009, 15:44

The team that got 1-2 in qualifying two races ago is dead last and people still call this season dull? If you wanna complain, complain about Kimi not getting a better start or Lewis for screwing his chances yesterday. But dont complain about Brawn and Button who just flawlessly do their job.

About the race, we got some close battles and even odd overtaking in Monaco. There were crashes of people high up the order. So not a bad race IMO.

8. StrFerrari4Ever said on 24th May 2009, 15:47

The early phase of the race was exciting but as things settled down the race began to become boring however i kept watching with interest to see if Webber would catch the Fezza’s and to see Bourdais get a point but surprised by lack of safety car since Monaco is prone to them

9. Smitty said on 24th May 2009, 15:49

5/10.

The first 10 laps were amazing – after that it was pretty dull. Button’s lap of honour was funny, though!

10. carlos said on 24th May 2009, 15:51

Massa predicted Brawn by June and it seems he was right. A couple of more races and this thing is over. Wide interpretation of rules has caused F1 to suck pretty badly this year.

11. Brawn said on 24th May 2009, 15:56

I enjoyed the race, I am a Brawn fan… but just as much a Ferrari one. just because the Brawns are at the front doesnt mean you cant watch the rest of the pack… Apart from Brawn the championship is pretty tight. I find that exiting even if theyre not competing for the top spot. Maybe thats just me.

12. Peter said on 24th May 2009, 15:56

Last year was a battle between Ferrari and Mclaren.

This year is a battle between Brawn and ummmmmm well who else?

It seems these new regulations have actually made the racing even more boring.

13. Patrickl said on 24th May 2009, 16:05

Why didn’t Massa get a penalty for all his chicane cutting? Even if the gain is only a tenth or so, it’s still an unfair advantage.

Good show from Webber. Really a shame that Vettel crashed out, because it would have been better for Webber if he had beaten the chosen one on track.

Also a bit unfortunate that Hamilto got rammed by Kubica. Otherwise we might have seen some nice overtaking. Kubica really is a bit of a ploinker. When things don’t go 100% he just drives like a jerk. Well actually even when they went 100% did he manage to get into an accident with Vettel …

• Bigbadderboom said on 24th May 2009, 17:11

Agreed Patrick, he was about 2-3 tenths quickeer when he was getting away with iy, he was carrying a lot more speed through.

• David A said on 24th May 2009, 17:11

Massa was warned.

And yes, Kubica and the rest of the BMW team apart from Heidfeld are plonkers.

• Nefastis said on 24th May 2009, 18:55

Why are you lying about Kubica-Hamilton accident?

• Maciek said on 25th May 2009, 6:11

heeeeeeyy now there with the Kubica bashing! The guy drove like a total champ last year and now they give him a tractor – like your motivation/concentration wouldn’t suffer? Plus in Oz it was Vettel’s slip that caused the accident. So there.

14. Oliver said on 24th May 2009, 16:06

The moment Barichello got pat Kimi, you just knew the race was going BrawnGP’s way. With no refueling next year, it will only get worse. Despite how slow Vettel was at one point, he only had to move maybe 6inches off line and no way past.

15. F1Yankee said on 24th May 2009, 16:11

BORING

• F1Yankee said on 24th May 2009, 22:29

i’ve just watched the indy 500, my first indy viewing in years. i slept through the 1st half of it, and watched baseball for the 2nd half. final score:
      ULTRA BORING

nascar is starting its 600 mile race soon. the pre-race show had that digger-versus-frenchie cartoon, and that’s about as far as i made it. final score:
      NASCAR BANNED FROM MY HOUSE