Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Rate the race and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix out of 10

• 10 - Perfect (3%)

Total Voters: 1,997

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2009 and 2008 Rate the Race results

95 comments on Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

1. ajokay said on 24th May 2009, 19:02

6/10 – not the best Monaco race by any means, but still far superior to the awful Spanish Grand Prix. There were a few good moves, overtakes, and almost-overtakes throughout, a few good coming-togethers with walls. No idea about the strategies being of any interest as I don’t pay attention to them.

2. Owen G said on 24th May 2009, 20:07

Are those claiming it’s the same as the Ferrari dominance years just looking at the results?

Only a couple of tenths separated several cars in Q2. All season, Red Bull have been on a similar pace to Brawn. And Barrichello is only a few points ahead of the RBs.

The difference is that Button is driving spectacularly well in all conditions on all tracks. Rather than bemoaning it being boring we should be commending it and calling on the other drivers, Vettel especially, to pull their fingers out and do something about it.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th May 2009, 21:00

My sentiments entirely. Yes Brawn are doing extremely well but it’s not as one-sided as 2004. That year, as soon as Ferrari had that test at Imola before the season began, on the hugely quick new Bridgestone compound, it was obvious the title was going to Schumacher.

3. ivz said on 25th May 2009, 1:05

I really hope that the RedBull starts to show its true potential, gets a lucky break, and pushes at the front. I was a huge Ferrari fan until 2004. That made me give up, and from that moment on all I wanted was close racing. The 2007 and 2008 championships were fantastic! I really hope that a couple of teams can really get up there later this year, and that Brawn start to have a few issues, this will at least make it interesting.

4. Loki said on 25th May 2009, 1:24

I slept for the last 2/3rds of the race. Or rather, I was only conscious for the first round of pitstops.

And I didn’t even miss anything. I was expecting half the grid to be missing.

The only good thing to watch was Button doing his little jog to the podium, that was almost a Rocky moment!

5. Tim said on 25th May 2009, 3:40

who cares only one other team has won besides brawn and jenson, who is going to win if a brawn car is going to win. Because Brawn even though he says he isn’t is defiantly doing team orders.

• Owen G said on 25th May 2009, 4:14

So they ‘ordered’ Rubens to lap 1.5 seconds slower on the same fuel load and tyres with no traffic in front of him?

6. Alex 3 said on 25th May 2009, 4:36

Martin Brundle seems to have lost his edge.
    Lewis’s crash into Heidfeld which took the end plate off his wing was caused by Lewis crossing the blend line before the corner and hence was in conflict with Nick.
    Later he alluded to Sutil comimg around Alonzo out of the pits and out accelerating him. Sutil was on the track and came around the corner. He did not exit the pit behind Alonzo.
    Sloppy/

7. Dane said on 25th May 2009, 4:44

It was a great race 8/10. What a track!
    Would have liked to see Webber get on the podium, but he get some good points. Good to see Ferrari up there too. Would have lied Ruben to win it bc of his b/day.
    Hamilton (aka Rocky) did well too, moving up 1 place & all… :)

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th May 2009, 10:19

Whatever happens in the race, Monaco is always a bit special.

If you had a race where there were no changes of positions, no battles, no incidents, but it was at Monaco, it’d still be more exciting that the same race happening at Bahrain or Catalunya, because the track is so dramatic.

• Loki said on 25th May 2009, 12:17

I think that’s why this time it was just so dull – there just wasn’t any drama. I even fell asleep watching a re run!

It’s like one of those moments when someone tells you a joke they find funnier than you do: you probably had to be there to appreciate it.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 25th May 2009, 15:19

Exactly, Keith.
      The drama and excitement at Monaco comes largely from the fact that you know every driver is concentrating 100% for the entire race and one tiny mistake could send them into the barriers and out of the race.

People often say that Monaco is the ultimate drivers circuit. That’s why it’s good. It’s all about appreciating how well the drivers who finished had to drive.

9. John H said on 25th May 2009, 17:53

As Brundle mentioned on the BBC, with slick tyres Monaco has less potential for mistakes, and at Moncao sometimes that’s what the race needs IMHO.

As an ‘event’ however, it’s still an amazing occaision for F1. Button running down the main straight was just great.

10. Gman said on 25th May 2009, 18:57

For me, the cool part was seeing Hamilton picking off a few cars in the opening laps. I ahte seeing Lewis on the back of the grid, but when it happens, he always creates some interesting moments.

Other than that, it wasen’t exceptionally exciting after the opening laps. As with Spain, I fell asleep about halfway through, only to wake up to Button jogging around the streets. For a second, I was wondering if he had retired from the race and was doing a Carl Edwards imitation in trying to finish the race out of his car ;)

11. theRoswellite said on 25th May 2009, 18:59

“Monaco is always a bit special…because the track is so dramatic.” Keith C.

Exactly.

If Senna could crash, a totally…”unforced” error, while in the lead, on a dry track, then no one is safely home till the flag falls on their backside. That is drama enough for me.

12. theRoswellite said on 26th May 2009, 0:56

“Monaco is always a bit special…because the track is so dramatic.” Keith C.

Exactly.

13. William Wilgus said on 26th May 2009, 20:54

As always at Monaco, simply a high-speed parade. If it weren’t for the harbor and its ability to berth the mega-yachts of the rich, Monaco would have disappeared from the F-1 calendar years ago.

14. Did anyone notice how many empty seats there were in the grandstands? Can anyone remember the last time we saw that in Monaco? Seems to me that a lot of the races over the last couple of seasons have not met crowd capacity, which should be worrying FIA/FOM far more than the antics they are currently preoccupied with.

I thought the race itself was a little on the dull side. Better than Catalunya for sure, but it just didn’t seem to uplift and excite me for some reason. Can’t explain why, I usually love Monaco. It ties with Melbourne & Spa as my favourite races. I have higher hopes for Turkey.

15. A bit dull. Just because it’s Monaco doesn’t make it OK to have a boring race.

16. David A said on 28th May 2009, 0:09

I gave it a 7/10, but it still wasn’t anywhere near as exciting last years race, that’s for sure.