Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Rate the race and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2009 Monaco Grand Prix out of 10

• 10 - Perfect (2%)

Total Voters: 1,997

Loading ... Loading ...

Read more: 2009 and 2008 Rate the Race results

95 comments on Monaco Grand Prix: Rate the race

1. Stefan said on 24th May 2009, 16:16

I always thought Jenson was a great driver, his first season in F1 was a blinder and he was great against Villeneuve. I’ve watched for years hoping he’d finally get a good car again and prove me right – can’t believe it’s finally happened and I’m delighted. Am I the only person who’s actually enjoying this?

• HounslowBusGarage said on 25th May 2009, 20:13

No. Actually, I am too.
      i thought he had genuinely rotten luck at BAR and deserved better, Sure he nade a conplete pig’s ear of the contract situation re Williams, but the lad is basically a good driver.
      More deserving than most of the current crop.

2. Lynn said on 24th May 2009, 16:22

I voted boring, I dipped in and out and then switched off after 30 minutes. Think it’s Brawn all the way to November, so no need to watch. Why don’t they just award the championship now, cause it’s over.

• Bigbadderboom said on 24th May 2009, 17:12

The name of this site “F1 Fanatic” not sure many of us would turn off!! Anything can happen!!!

• Patrickl said on 24th May 2009, 17:57

Yeah, what nonsense is that? How can you even say it was boring when you didn’t see the whole race?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th May 2009, 20:59

The name of this site “F1 Fanatic” not sure many of us would turn off!

That genuinely made me laugh out loud :-)

3. Damon said on 24th May 2009, 16:27

It was an excellent Monaco race. More overtaking than ever as I can remember in the last 15 years.

4. Rikadyn said on 24th May 2009, 16:45

We’d see better racing IMO, if the teams could test, given the ban on it, plus most teams not going the way of the DDD…

But none of that would effect the processional that is Monaco.

5. theRoswellite said on 24th May 2009, 16:46

Rating this race, as any other race, is a completely subjective matter. Instead of asking, “How good was the race?”, it might be more meaningful to ask, “How much did I enjoy the race?”

And, as always, one’s enjoyment of anything is determined as much by what YOU bring to the event in question, as what happens in the event itself.

Some of us appreciate only very close racing with plenty of passing. Some (few in F1 I hope) even require accidents to enliven the “show”. While many, perhaps long time “enthusiasts”, derive enjoyment from seeing excellence demonstrated in all the elements, from design to preparation, that are required to place a car and driver at the top of the podium.

For me, Saturday alone is a highlight of the year, but I’ll long remember this Sunday when a complete laughing stock of a team in ’08 returned to finish 1-2 at one of the most demanding races of the year. Plus, I especially enjoy “the idea” of a driver who could, of late, only be found shadow dancing in the wake of Britain’s newest mega-star World Champion…now standing in total sunshine, with the promise he showed in his youth finally on display.

It was quite a memorable race.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th May 2009, 22:38

I’d like to think most people who read this site are in it for more than the crashes :-)

• Dougie said on 25th May 2009, 11:44

(To quote the BBC) This… is Formula 1.

For me, Saturday alone is a highlight of the year, but I’ll long remember this Sunday when a complete laughing stock of a team in ‘08 returned to finish 1-2 at one of the most demanding races of the year. Plus, I especially enjoy “the idea” of a driver who could, of late, only be found shadow dancing in the wake of Britain’s newest mega-star World Champion…now standing in total sunshine, with the promise he showed in his youth finally on display.

Spot on!

My enthusiam for F1 has been re-ignited this year (a big part of that I have to say is down to Keith and F1-Fanatic, cheers Keith) , and I feel excitement and intrique at every race. I’ll freely admit that also a lot of that is down to Button & Brawn and watching the big teams try to come back from the back of the grid… and also seeing BMW fall off the cliff.

Anyone who says Button is not top shelf stuff is clearly blind… I’ve always rated Button and loved his smooth style. Sure having the right car underneath you is a big plus (how many drivers have been Champion without one of the fastest cars under them… very few if any I would say) but it is what you do with it that counts. Rubens (widely acknowedged to be a fast race winner) apart from Barcelona has been left in amongst the competition, this race no exception with the Ferraris. Button has simply driven so much better and so much more consistently over all race conditions. The man has raised his game and, as said, we are simply seeing what has always been there since he arrived on the scene waiting the right car and right time… like all champions have and currently continue to do (Alonso, Hamilton & Raikkonen… and Vettel, Massa, Webber yet to be).

6. David A said on 24th May 2009, 17:08

7/10, not too bad action, but boring domination by Button.

Better performance by Ferrari as well.

7. TommyBellingham said on 24th May 2009, 17:11

@Chua Not like 2004? Because Button is british and not in a Ferrari!? It is like 2004, 6 races in and the championship is pretty much over, no rivals to challenge for the world title and just one driver and team winning almost every race

• David A said on 24th May 2009, 17:14

Exactly. I find it amazing how the same people who called 2002 and 2004 boring because of Ferrari domination feel that 2009 is somehow unpredictable.

• Patrickl said on 24th May 2009, 17:53

The cars are much closer matched now though. For half the races the Red Bulls have been faster or as fast as the Red Bulls.

In 2004 the Ferrari’s were at least 7 tenths quicker than any other car during qualifying. That’s boring. Even when they completely messed up, they would still win.

Now when Red Bull doesn’t think properly about their strategy, Brawn wins. Haven’t seen Brawn or Button make a mistake yet though.

8. Tim said on 24th May 2009, 17:29

This year has been absolute garbage. The only good race was maybe Sepang where Red Bull won. Whop di do a new team is dominating worse than the years of schumacher

9. Roger Carballo AKA Architrion said on 24th May 2009, 17:36

Race itself was good… but what we all are saying here is that this championship is rubbish. Congrats to FIA. Leading its way to legalize double diffusor just to destroy unity of FOTA has make the most boring championship since the Schu-Brawn era. Fantastic job, Bernie and Max.

Please. Does someone know what email can we use to give the pair my best wishes?

• TommyB said on 24th May 2009, 20:01

Just think of Brawn weren’t leading we’d have a really close championship. All the teams are swapping positions each race apart from Brawn

10. StrFerrari4Ever said on 24th May 2009, 17:48

Tim you dont know what your talking about Red Bull didn’t win at Sepang they won at Shanghai…

11. ajokay said on 24th May 2009, 19:02

6/10 – not the best Monaco race by any means, but still far superior to the awful Spanish Grand Prix. There were a few good moves, overtakes, and almost-overtakes throughout, a few good coming-togethers with walls. No idea about the strategies being of any interest as I don’t pay attention to them.

12. Owen G said on 24th May 2009, 20:07

Are those claiming it’s the same as the Ferrari dominance years just looking at the results?

Only a couple of tenths separated several cars in Q2. All season, Red Bull have been on a similar pace to Brawn. And Barrichello is only a few points ahead of the RBs.

The difference is that Button is driving spectacularly well in all conditions on all tracks. Rather than bemoaning it being boring we should be commending it and calling on the other drivers, Vettel especially, to pull their fingers out and do something about it.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th May 2009, 21:00

My sentiments entirely. Yes Brawn are doing extremely well but it’s not as one-sided as 2004. That year, as soon as Ferrari had that test at Imola before the season began, on the hugely quick new Bridgestone compound, it was obvious the title was going to Schumacher.

13. ivz said on 25th May 2009, 1:05

I really hope that the RedBull starts to show its true potential, gets a lucky break, and pushes at the front. I was a huge Ferrari fan until 2004. That made me give up, and from that moment on all I wanted was close racing. The 2007 and 2008 championships were fantastic! I really hope that a couple of teams can really get up there later this year, and that Brawn start to have a few issues, this will at least make it interesting.

14. Loki said on 25th May 2009, 1:24

I slept for the last 2/3rds of the race. Or rather, I was only conscious for the first round of pitstops.

And I didn’t even miss anything. I was expecting half the grid to be missing.

The only good thing to watch was Button doing his little jog to the podium, that was almost a Rocky moment!

15. Tim said on 25th May 2009, 3:40

who cares only one other team has won besides brawn and jenson, who is going to win if a brawn car is going to win. Because Brawn even though he says he isn’t is defiantly doing team orders.

• Owen G said on 25th May 2009, 4:14

So they ‘ordered’ Rubens to lap 1.5 seconds slower on the same fuel load and tyres with no traffic in front of him?