Mercedes should put a sticker on this car

Posted on | Author Keith Collantine

Your ad here: Mercedes should brand Brawn
Your ad here: Mercedes should brand Brawn

At the current rate of scoring*, after the European Grand Prix it will be inevitable that one of the Brawn GP drivers will win the drivers’ championship.

And the Mercedes-powered cars have already scored more than twice as many points as any of their rivals.

So why haven’t Mercedes plastered their logos all over the BGP 001s?

At Monaco Jenson Button not only won his fifth race of the year, he won his third in a row with the same Mercedes V8 engine.

The Stuttgart marque’s promotional department must be desperate to make use of this marketing gold.

A Mercedes representative explained to me recently that as Brawn’s deal with the team is purely a customer relationship, it gives Mercedes no advertising presence on the car.

That makes sense, but surely the time has come for Mercedes to get their logos on the car and make certain they milk Brawn’s increasingly likely championship victory for all it’s worth?

It’s hard to believe a manufacturer could miss an opportunity like this – though I have heard it said that Ford failed to capitalise on Michael Schumacher’s championship victory with Benetton in 1994.

It makes me wonder if Mercedes’ relationship with McLaren presents contractual obstacles to them using Brawn in their promotional work?

Whatever the reason, Mercedes’s decision to supply Brawn with engines – at a time when they were already taking on a new customer in Force India – played a significant role in saving the team from the scrap heap. It would be a real pity if Mercedes’ role in their success went unrecognised.

*Based on the first six races this year, assuming no further ‘half points’ races.

50 comments on “Mercedes should put a sticker on this car”

Jump to comment page: 1 2
  1. Oh My God!!!
    Look at us, we’re feeling sorry for Mercedes!!!

2. It’s got to be contractual with McLaren, prohibiting other teams from displaying the logo. Or at least causing Mercedes to be inclined not to run the logo on other cars. Force India does not run the logo either. Also, Mercedes has an ownership stake in McLaren.

3. HounslowBusGarage
    28th May 2009, 17:39

I’m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the Mercedes engine deal for Brawn is for 2010 only. Can anyone corroborate this, and if so, where should Brawn go shopping for next year?

1. Sush Meerkat
      28th May 2009, 18:23

I’m pretty sure your right HounslowBusGarage (i’m down the road from there by the way) anyway on topic, it was said at the start of the year, and Norbert Haug stated on the ITV website that putting a Merc sticker on the car would be taking advantage of the strange circumstances Brawn found themselves in.

In other less verbose words, putting a Merc sticker on the car would seem like they were taking advantage of an at the time disadvantaged team.

I just wish we still had V10’s :(

4. HounslowBusGarage
    28th May 2009, 17:40

Oh for an EDIT button!
    I meant “for 2009 only”

5. ConcedoNulli
    28th May 2009, 17:56

The Mercedes engine is by heritage an Ilmor engine, before Merc renamed Ilmor as Mercedes High Performance Engines. Brawn could capitalise on sponsorship by rebadging it as a … Honda. The new Ilmor company designed/build the current Honda Indycar engine. Poetic justice maybe. Or re badge it as Chrysler/Dodge for some US coverage and $.

6. 1994fanatic
    28th May 2009, 22:25

I can remember seeing a ford badge on the 94 schumacher car, I think I even remember it when he almost did the barrel roll over damon to steal the championship which was rightly Hill’s. Anyways this is about playboy, I imagine you guys get that across the pond. It is a great magazine which sir richard branson is going to buy most likely. It’d be great to see some playboy ears on the Brawn wouldn’t it. Tell Richard the next time you see him.

7. louierocko
    29th May 2009, 1:34

Unless I’m reading this wrong, Virgin is giving them 250,000 per race.

8. I think you hit the nail on the head Keith. Mercedes I believe are trying to keep McLaren quiet as to not agitate an already delicate situation.
    McLaren were expected, with Lewis Hamilton leading the charge, to challenge for the championship. Not only are McLaren and Hamilton floundering, but they are having to watch the Brawn Gp cars with Mercedes powerplants walk away with the title. This can not be easy to watch for McLaren, with a very long relationship with the German mark going all the way back to the 1990’s.
    In all due respect to Force India, I suspect McLaren did not factor them to be too much of a threat. We all thought that Brawn Gp would fit this same mould, and boy have we been caught by surprise.
    From Mercedes point of view, they have been late to get in on the act. For years Ferrari supplied engines to other teams, notably Sauber. Honda, when they were around, powered Eddie Jordan’s cars aswell as their own, and then there is Renault ofcourse.
    Looking at it from that point of view, McLaren have been lucky to have Mercedes sole backing all this years. Now the support is far more diluted.

9. Paddleshift
    29th May 2009, 14:33

Has anyone got the suspicion that Brawn opted to paint their car pure white to make their complex front and rear wings less distinguishable? I mean, you can’t see it even if their front wing’s got a hole in it, can you?

10. More than making Brawn a viable team, I honestly think that without a Mercedes engine it wouldn’t be a race winning car…

11. I think Brawn evaluating the “big” title sponsor is more smoke and mirrors, similar to all of the buyers Honda had knocking on their door when they skeedadled out the back door.

In this economic climate if their were a big sponsor willing to pony up 10-20 million in title money Brawn would already have signed them. Even if they win both titles this year, how could the sponsorship be worth more next, if their likelihood of repeating will be diminished?

NOW is when they are receiving maximum exposure and that Branson guy is getting all the pub for a mere 250K a race?

Brawn, Williams, Renault will all face the economic piper at season’s end. I only hope there are enough sponsors to go around for the old line teams as well as the new teams to fill out the grid.

Jump to comment page: 1 2