F1 links: Doubts over Hungary, too

Here’s a round-up of F1 news and other interesting links I’ve found today.

If you’ve spotted a hot news story, interesting new website or just something funny from the world of F1, please share your links in the comments below.

Hungary considers its F1 bills

"Government spokesman Domokos Szollar [is] saying that while the government appreciates what the Grand Prix does for tourism in Budapest, the financing of the race between 2012 and 2016 is yet to be finalised."

That’s it. All bets are off.

"If Jenson Button is not world champion by the end of the summer then quite frankly I will be astonished. His victory on the streets of Monte Carlo on Sunday was another incredible chapter what is fast becoming one of the great sporting comebacks."

Briatore to buy Renault F1 Team?

"According to the Italian media, Flavio Briatore could buy the Renault Formula One team as rumours about an exit of the French carmaker is ongoing for months."

These are links I’ve bookmarked using Delicious. You can see my Delicious profile here.

14 comments on F1 links: Doubts over Hungary, too

1. Prisoner Monkeys said on 30th May 2009, 2:21

No more Hungary?

I know it’s one of everybody’s least-favourite circuits, but I have to admit that it’s endeared itself to me somewhat because of all the circuits on the calendar, the Hungaroring is the most likely to produce an unexpected result: seven different winners in the past seven years.

• Damon said on 30th May 2009, 10:12

Heh. No, that’s the wrong way to look at it.
      When there is a dull, processional race, with no overtaking, no action, and with the eventual winner leading from start to finish, the fact that there was a different winner the year before doesn’t make it exciting, nor does it make it unexpected when you have sat there for 1,5 hours and almost fell asleep.

2. Terry Fabulous said on 30th May 2009, 2:44

No More Hungary – Dear God let it be true

3. Terry Fabulous said on 30th May 2009, 2:46

Actually I must admit that it is one of my fav circuits on F12006 on the playstation.

But otherwise, not sorry to see it go.

4. persempre said on 30th May 2009, 10:06

I`ve never been a great fan of the Hungaroring (nor of the new Fuji) so I won`t be too sad. Until, that is, Hungary`s replacement is announced & it means getting up in the middle of the night or, more likely, watching a Scalextric race under floodlights.

5. Sav722 said on 30th May 2009, 10:20

I like some of the corners on the Hungaroring, turn 11 is a particularly fun corner to watch onboard. However, the racing is truly dreadful. Its not hard to see why though, with corner after corner with few long straights.

Even a lot of the GP2 races are boring on the Hungaroring.

6. TommyB said on 30th May 2009, 11:29

That would be great if Hungary went. All these new circuits to try and improve racing… Replace the boring ones like Hungary not Montreal and Indy!!

7. craig said on 30th May 2009, 16:06

I would love to see the new track at Portugal take it’s spot. And I do know the MotoGP guys will be racing at a new track in Hungary next year but I doubt it has F1 potential.

8. Bigbadderboom said on 30th May 2009, 19:37

Will the loss of Hungary be a shame?? It depends what we get instead!!! as already said by persembre, i don’t wnat to be watching night floodlit races in remote locations with no atmosphere.

9. Chaz said on 30th May 2009, 21:16

Briatore is loaded and clearly has not over extended himself since buying an English football team. Good luck to him…

10. Alex Bkk said on 31st May 2009, 3:15

I think the Hungaro has grown on me over the years, call it Cold War nostalgia or something, but it has a certain ummm…Well I’m thinking…there must be something. Anything?

Sorry to hear Renault might be going…but honestly that ING livery is so ugly and their TV ads are well, nauseating … they deserve to lose. Maybe Flavio can make the car “pretty” again.

Tommy, lovely job on the Gulf Aston!

I think they should use the Aston marque. Pro Drive sounds like a cheap Chinese tool in the bargain bin at TESCO. I guess I’d rather see a losing Aston than a losing Pro Drive…Makes sense to me anyway.

• beneboy said on 1st June 2009, 20:53

For some of us Prodrive is a very well respected racing company, they may not have the history of Aston Martin but they’re a serious racing outfit who have won lots of World Championships.

Personally, I’d rather they entered as Prodrive than being a fake Aston Martin team. The only input Aston Martin will probably have to the car is the paint job.

Check them out:

11. DGR-F1 said on 1st June 2009, 9:55

Wow, Briatore Racing. Whatever next? :-)