Fuji Speedway to disappear from 2010 F1 calendar, things are looking up

Felipe Massa rounds another of Fuji's slow corners

Felipe Massa rounds another of Fuji's slow corners

Fuji Speedway, which is owned by Toyota, may not return to the F1 calendar in 2010 as planned.

The track is supposed to be rotating the Japanese Grand Prix with Honda-owned Suzuka, which holds this year?s race. But the circuit operators have suggested the 2010 running is in doubt, potentially returning the Japanese round to Suzuka full-time.

I?ve never warmed to Fuji and won?t be sorry to see the back of it.

Suzuka has some of the best corners in the F1 calendar: 130R, Degner, Spoon and the Esses after the first bend.

Sat beneath picturesque Mount Fuji, Toyota?s track has fabulous scenery. But the circuit configuration pales in comparison to the vista – and the exceptional Suzuka.

The cars look lost in its vast stretches of tarmac which kill any impression of speed. And the near endless sequence of slow corners – particularly the dreadful final sequence of bends – means it has few rivals for title of F1′s least inspiring track.

History repeating

If last year’s race does prove to be Fuji’s last for F1, it will complete an unusual symmetry with the last time the track was used for the world championship.

Its first race in 1976 was blighted by severe rain – then F1 returned the following year for a final race held in fine conditions. However two spectators were killed after Gilles Villeneuve and Ronnie Peterson crashed during the race.

F1′s return 30 years later saw another rain-hit race and the event descended into farce as the first 18 laps (over half an hour) were spent behind the safety car. Last year’s race saw much better conditions, though the stewards let loose a few thunderbolts of their own with some truly baffling decisions.

Would you rather the Japanese Grand Prix was held at Fuji or Suzuka? Or do you think the rotation system shoiuld stay?

More on Fuji Speedway

60 comments on Fuji Speedway to disappear from 2010 F1 calendar, things are looking up

1. Striay said on 30th May 2009, 12:18

Massa’s 2008 car looks sooo weird now that i am used to the 2009 versions!

• TommyB said on 30th May 2009, 14:05

I know the back wing looks so low!!

• Dave said on 30th May 2009, 22:23

Why Indy?Singapore

• F2008 big fan said on 1st June 2009, 3:29

for me it was the best car ever made by ferrari’s best engineers. look at that aero parts, extremely cool!

• Wesley said on 1st June 2009, 23:12

“Why Indy?”

So that I can watch an F1 race in my country and take my friends to show them why it is the best racing in the world!

• Gman said on 2nd June 2009, 20:09

Bingo. I’ve never seen a race on the road course at Indy, but it can’t be any worse than Hungary or Valencia.

Plus, for those of us on a budget, the tickets were cheap. Even if they were doubled in price, they would still be cheaper than most other GP venues :)

2. Zazeems said on 30th May 2009, 13:51

YYEEESSS!!!!
    Suzuka is in my opinion one of the best tracks in the world, and Fuji one of the worst.
    If they want two races in Japan they should go to Motegi (great track)

• Gman said on 2nd June 2009, 20:09

The oval or road course? ;)

• LewisC said on 3rd June 2009, 9:30

If Gran Turismo is *any* guide, Fuji is utterly dull to drive. (Partially because I always naff-up the first corner).

Motegi’s OK, but Suzuka is the daddy. Best track in the world IMO, Nurburgring excepted.

3. Fer no.65 said on 30th May 2009, 14:50

“The cars look lost in its vast stretches of tarmac which kill any impression of speed”

EXACTLY! YOU’RE SO RIGHT!…

4. YeaMon said on 30th May 2009, 17:34

I personally think Fuji is a great track that has bought on two great races in it’s newly configured form.

Suzuka is better in almost ever aspect though. While Fuji is an F1 capable track, and I didn’t mind seeing it alternate, Suzuka every year doesn’t sound bad at all eh?

5. fminas said on 30th May 2009, 17:36

Suzuka forever…

6. Chaz said on 30th May 2009, 19:13

With this Toyota track disappearing from the calendar, can this be seen as yet another indication of Toyota leaving F1…

7. F1Yankee said on 30th May 2009, 20:42

i like the idea of rotating tracks in and out of the schedule. this enables more variety, while sharing the wealth/burden.

8. Wesley said on 30th May 2009, 21:14

Suzuka should never leave the schedule,it is a fantastic track.Fuji however…..yaaaaawn….

9. The Sri Lankan said on 30th May 2009, 23:21

I loved races at Fuji. DOnt mind Suzuka but i pray the two would alternate in the future. and hopefully with a revised un-tilke’d Motegei joining the two

10. Rob R. said on 31st May 2009, 8:44

I’d rather see another race in the Caesar’s Palace car park, than see the cars go round this current version of Fuji Speedway again.

11. Nayanesh said on 31st May 2009, 19:00

Suzuka surely the better track.It has produced some wonderful races.2005 comes to mind.I think it was raikkonen who overtook fisi on the last lap

12. Nayanesh said on 31st May 2009, 19:01

for the lead,that is

13. TeamOrders said on 1st June 2009, 2:42

I wont miss Fuji, Suzuka is probably the 2nd best track in the world for F1′s (Spa being the best).

14. DGR-F1 said on 1st June 2009, 8:08

But if Honda cannot afford to run an F1 team, how can it afford to run an F1 racing circuit?

15. PJA said on 1st June 2009, 12:54

I would choose Suzuka over Fuji every time, but I wouldn’t have Fuji at the top of my list of current tracks I want to see the back of.

I think Fuji’s popularity suffered as soon as it was announced because it replaced one of the best tracks in Suzuka. Most new tracks are disliked from the start by us fans for that reason.

It’s like saying would you like a race in Abu Dhabi, or would you like a race in Abu Dhabi but we are not going to Canada.