Max Mosley is wrong. The only split F1 needs is a break away from him

Max Mosley told the FOTA teams to run their own championship

Max Mosley told the FOTA teams to run their own championship

Max Mosley has told the world that instead of reaching a compromise with the nine FOTA teams, he thinks they should leave F1:

I say to them: If you want to draw up your own rules, then you can organise your own championship. But we have the Formula 1 championship. We draw up the rules for that. We have been doing that for 60 years and we will continue doing so.

It is difficult to believe that the president of the FIA could seriously be advocating a situation where the governing body?s most successful and popular championship is split into two.

Mario Theissen claims it was Mosley?s suggestion that FOTA place a ??conditional? entry to the 2010 championship, which they did last week.

But by agitating for a split Mosley has played into FOTA?s hands. Their argument that the governance of Formula 1 needs reforming has never looked more credible than when Mosley admitted he would rather see F1 split in two than accept that he might not get everything he wants from this debate.

Unlike Mosley, FOTA have been at pains to avoid threatening a split.

Various F1 correspondents have explored the possibilities of them creating a rival championship ?ǣ many pointing to the Ferrari-backed A1 Grand Prix series as a starting point.

But FOTA has frequently stated its desire to keep its teams in F1 and reach an accommodation with the FIA and F1 owners CVC (represented by Bernie Ecclestone).

It is Mosley who has spurned compromise and failed to reach a consensus with the teams.

Some may be tempted to argue that FOTA are holding Mosley to ransom by refusing to accept his demands. I disagree.

Mosley has stated in the past that he has demanded budget capping because the present teams have refused to commit to Formula 1:

Despite my repeated requests, not a single manufacturer has given us a legally-binding undertaking that it will continue in Formula 1
Max Mosley, in a letter to Luca di Montezemolo, April 2009

The manufacturers and supporting teams are now proposing a deal to keep them in the sport until 2012. So why is Mosley talking about a split instead of sealing the deal?

How a split would destroy F1

Pause for a moment to appreciate the full gravity of what Mosley is suggesting by urging the teams to split from F1.

It would mean F1 casting FOTA?s nine teams aside. These have, in their present guises, contested 2,040 Grands Prix, winning 414 races and 55 drivers and constructors’ championships. They are a vital component of the sport, woven deep into the fabric of its history.

We would have two series ?ǣ one calling itself F1, the other containing all bar one of the teams that contested the previous F1 championship.

Drivers and circuits would be caught in the middle. One series might have Spa and Silverstone, Hamilton and Raikkonen. The other Monza and Suzuka, Alonso and Kubica. And both championships would be incomparably weaker propositions.

What of the fans? Some would follow F1. Some would follow the new championship. And many ?ǣ perhaps most ?ǣ would stop watching. The longer it took the two series to re-unify, the worse it would get.

And the same goes for the sponsors which every year pump billions into F1?s coffers.

This is not conjecture. Exactly the same thing happened with the Indy Car championship. It finally re-united last year after 14 years divided – now a pale shadow of its former glory in every respect.

The teams must stay

The FIA President is proposing a development which would rent the world?s biggest motor racing championship in two. It would do huge damage to international motor racing, perhaps irrevocably ruining it.

Max Mosley is not unaccustomed to criticism. But his failure to come to terms with the teams is a new low. He must not be allowed to drive them out of the sport.

Given a choice between keeping the nine teams, and keeping the FIA president, I’d pick the teams.

203 comments on Max Mosley is wrong. The only split F1 needs is a break away from him

1. sasbus said on 4th June 2009, 22:35

Max Mosley should be more interested in listening to the teams … and the fans rather than building his own pride. Although sometimes I wonder whether he has hidden agenda????

Such comments from the one person who should ensure F1 consolidation are unwarranted and naive.

My only hope is that whoever will be taking part in the next FIA president’s election considers his Kamikaze tactics. Clearly, for me, this present is way past his sell date.

2. persempre said on 4th June 2009, 22:38

Just out of interest I`d like to know how many people here have read the Budget Cap Sporting Regs?

• sasbus said on 4th June 2009, 22:46

Maybe you should enlighten us and tell us how many other sports have budget caps. I have come across none!

• persempre said on 4th June 2009, 22:52

That I honestly don`t know, sasbus.
        I follow F1 closely but that doesn`t leave much time for any depth of knowledge of many others sports.
        I asked who had read the rules because I was wondering whether views on this were taken from reading the actual rules or just from what had been read/heard in the press.
        I think anyone who has read the proposed regulations would understand FOTA`s stance.

• I’ve read the Budget Regulations and it is my contention that anyone who applies to be in the cost-cap will be disqualified at the end of 2010. The reason is that all teams who choose to accept the cap will have to state who they intend to have as staff, agencies, suppliers and consultants by December 15 of the year preceding competition.

Firstly, no team can possibly know all those things that far in advance. No provision is made for any form of exception.

Secondly, not all suppliers will be legally able to provide the FIA with the financial information it wants.

Thirdly, part of the reason the staff need to be known is so that they can be interviewed as soon as they leave by a financial investigator. Failure of the staff member to submit to interview results in the team being penalised. It would only take a vengeful member of staff for a team to be brought down, even if the cause of the vengeance has nothing to do with money or indeed regulation breaches.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 13:49

Thanks Alainora,

Do you agree that it`s just a totally unworkable nightmare as the thing stands & that is all Max has put on the table.
            He may have said the two-tier would go (although I can only remember seeing Bernie actually say that – not Max – but he certainly hasn`t come forward with anything else by way of alternative.
            The teams have had to sign with the 2-tier, capped agreement which is why they have done so conditionally.
            As far as I can see the teams had 2 choices not sign or, as at Max` suggestion, sign conditionally. How could they possibly sign as is?

3. CoolGav said on 4th June 2009, 22:55

I’m interested in F1 for several reasons:
    – The technology & engineering
    – The drivers & circuits
    – The off-track activites (driver signings, politics)

If FOTA set up their own championship it could attract the best drivers as there would likely be more money there. I would expect them to go to some great circuits and others where they have key markets. The cars could well be freer in concept, allow for more innivation, faster and all-together more advanced. To me a FOTA championship could have it all, and be fairer to everyone (fans, circuits, teams, advertisers).

What would the FIA have? A few recognisable teams. A few great drivers who are there because they have a better chance to win. But still not racing at key circuits (Silverstone, Spa, Imola, Montreal, etc).

To me FOTA are going to be OK. They have the least to lose. Shurely CVC/Bernie are qwaking in their boots – if F1 splits then they have an asset worth considerably less than it is now. FOTA can rid themselves of Max and Bernie and give the fans the championship we want.

4. TomD11 said on 4th June 2009, 22:56

“We now have a dispute and we will see who prevails.” – Max Mosley

Sums his whole approach up really.

5. matt said on 4th June 2009, 23:03

Every day he sounds more and more like a power-hungry dictator, terrified of losing his throne no matter what damage he does to the institution it is his job to protect. He would rather bring down the championship with him than give in, end up looking weak and get booted out at the next election.

6. Hallard said on 4th June 2009, 23:16

Max has demonstrated once more that his number one concern is stroking his ego.

Mosley has said “F1 would survive without Ferrari” which may be true, but F1 would THRIVE without Max.

Why does he think he has the right to call the shots? Max brings nothing to the table and its childish for him to think F1 is his to destroy.

7. Texas F1 Fan said on 4th June 2009, 23:19

I can’t help but think this is all just a bunch of high drama.

Surely he would not wreck F1 over ego/pride. I mean, we’re talking real money here.

Before Rome burns, there’s got to be a last minute backroom pow wow, where everything will get sorted out. Max will get a budget cap (higher than 40M), FOTA will get one set of rules.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 0:04

Max has an ego no doubt, but FOTA is full of egos, and nobody least of all FOTA is backing down.

Formula 1 and the FIA will still be here a very long time after FOTA (and any off-shoot) have gone.

8. tdc said on 4th June 2009, 23:20

Quite frankly, the man that would lose most in a split is Bernie, so I still expect him to somehow make it all work.

• Influenced said on 4th June 2009, 23:30

It would be funny if the FOTA creates a new series… Bernie get’s his fingers in and becomes the commercial right holders.

• Martin Bell said on 4th June 2009, 23:31

The fog of all this, the sudden rush of “new” teams, the convoluted nature of the debate, the inevitability of a resolution, it has Bernie written large across all of it. Of course he will make it work because all of it is his design. The man is a genius.

9. Influenced said on 4th June 2009, 23:29

One of the plus is the all the circuit that have been taken of the calender in the breakaway competition. The return of Canada, North American Or Multiple North American Races. France. And many others

10. Dougie said on 4th June 2009, 23:52

I can’t believe anybody wants a bunch of car manufacturers controlling the sport and dictating to somebody, in my view, who has a clear vision for the future of the sport.

These manufacturers are only interested in one thing, and it ain’t Formula 1 and its future. As soon as Formula 1 is no longer advantageous for them they’re gone and who cares what happens to F1… or for that matter any break-away series they’ll create.

Give me an engine, that’s all, or don’t. I couldn’t care if all the teams are running Cosworths, at least then it’s more about the teams ingenuity and the drivers talent. The manufacturers will soon come crawling back.

McLaren/Mercedes have the right relationship. The other manufacturers are too closely involved with the team and will leave those employees high and dry in an instant. McLaren will survive without Mercedes.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 4th June 2009, 23:55

That isn’t what FOTA are asking for, though, is it? Here’s what they say:

All FOTA teams now look forward with optimism to collaborating proactively and productively with the FIA, with a view to establishing a solid foundation on which the future of a healthy and successful Formula One can be built, providing lasting stability and sound governance.

Not “taking over the sport and running it ourselves” – contributing to the process.

• Dougie said on 4th June 2009, 23:58

What irks me about that FOTA statement is they are looking forward to…

…maybe if they took a look behind they would see that was already happening until they threw that curve ball.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 0:24

What curve ball, Dougie? They`ve made their case quite clearly from the start but every time they come up with a suggestion Max changes the argument.
          Did you see what Mario Theissen said?
          Q. You submitted your applications as conditional. Was that suggested by the FIA, or was it something that FOTA decided to do unilaterally?

MT: When we had the meeting with Max [Mosley] in Monaco, it was his idea to put in a conditional entry.

Q. So it would be difficult for the FIA to come back, therefore, and say you are in breach of the rules?

MT: It would be a surprise.

Why do that if he (Max) isn`t just going out of his way to be awkward?

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 0:36

Well, it seems obvious to me why he would say that…

The discussions are ongoing, positive steps have been taken but work is still to be done. The entry date is looming. So make an entry but make it conditional.

The teams just took those conditions too far. Conditional on a positive outcome from the meetings, not conditional on Max backing down completely!

• Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 1:42

That applies not only to Manufacturers, also to Independent teams, Sponsors, TV, Ecclestone, etc, etc, IMO.

• Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 1:51

in my view, who has a clear vision for the future of the sport.

Question: Did you forget the question mark at the end?

• Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 1:53

you can have that in a series call A1GP, why you bother to see F1.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 9:09

Isuraeru,

My statement actually reads as…

With a £40mill cap, the teams have complete freedom in the rules and can use whose ever engines they want. However, if all the manufacturers have pulled out and all that is available is Cosworth, so be it.

I don’t believe that situation will happen, at minimum I see Mercedes and Ferrari engine s on the grid as well.

As for your comparison to A1GP, if you knew anything about F1 and A1GP you would know that is a stupid comparison. A1GP have standard EVERYTHING, engine, chassis, ancillaries, everything!

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 10:29

Somehow, I don`t think any manufacturer who leaves the sport will be interested in doing the R&D & producing cheap engines for F1.
          The offer is there (engine/gearbox) in FOTA`s suggestions but I`d be surprised if it stays on the table if the engine manufacturers leave.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 10:43

Manufacturers have been supplying engines for F1 in the whole 29years I’ve been watching F1 and even before then.

It is only recently that they have taken over control of the whole team and gone wild with costs.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 11:03

This article may interest you then. It looks less likely they`ll be gearing up for additional engine-supplying.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 11:34

Oh god! Merc-Benz shed 50 jobs! Panic! they’re going to pull out of F1! Oh no! F1 is dead! …err.. no!

They’ve shed 50 jobs in a difficult climate… Why?… to reduce overheads and costs! Hmmm… makes a budget cap seem sensible to me.

My employer (a bank) is shedding 650 jobs, with more to come am sure, does that mean we should all keep our money under the mattress… No!

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 11:53

Ah, a bank man. You must be used to being unpopular lately ;)
            If a cap comes in the manufacturer teams will be forced to cut jobs regardless of the economic situation.
            Ferrari happen to have done very nicely if you look at their last annual report. Why should they have to make redundancies at Maranello just to suit Max’ idea of a budget cap?
            Did you notice “This is a serious blow to the district, its high-tech economy and its relationship with F1. We have a cluster of businesses in Northamptonshire which are at the leading edge. It affects not only those who are involved in the business but their families. This is really very bad news and one must commiserate with family and individuals affected.”

By the way, I thought when we were talking about Chapman yesterday that you may actually, like me, remember the advent of sponsorship even Lotus in British Racing Green.
            No matter how long we have followed the sport we are constantly learning, Dougie.
            My 40 years of following F1 don`t mean I know it all.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 12:45

persempre, LOL!! actually I am an IT man, but lets not get into that ;-)

I feel for anyone who is made redundant or under a cloud of redundancy, but it is a sign of the times, but it is not a new thing… I personally have sat under a cloud of redundancy every 2 years since I’ve came out of college… its life, businesses do what they need to do to survive, Formula 1 is no different to that.

It would appear you’ve been watching Formula 1 for as long as I’ve been on this hunk of rock floating in the vast expanses of nothingness… sponsorship had arrived before I joined the many fans watching the sport, and I have taken some interest in its history… but one thing is clear, I would never pretend to know it all, I just know what I feel.

• Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 14:46

No, they doesnt have complete freedom, they will have to manage under cap, thats not “complete” freedom.

Maybe I don’t explain myself enough, I am going to show like I explain things to litle ones:

A1GP have estandar everything (as you said) and thats why this statement (from you)

at least then it’s more about the teams ingenuity and the drivers talent.

describes better A1 than F1. IMO

• phil said on 5th June 2009, 5:10

Dougie

The only manufactures that left the sport was ford and honda (prematurely i might ad) F1 is not a sport it is a marketing monster. Thats why people pay millions. If you want to watch a series where they have one engine go and watch A1. If the manufactures leave you have no KERS, dodgy costworth engines, NO ECU, Bridgstone will leave because they would have no reason to advertise in f1. The new teams cant gurantee there survival, and dont have the capability to develop systems like the existing teams. F1 goes back to the stone age. How do the new teams get all the electrical know how under 40million, they cant. This is carried over from year after year. you have no arguement. If your investing 100million plus pounds in a sport a year you want to have a say. Plain and simple.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 9:14

All the manufacturers (except Ferrari, who I see as a racing team first anyway) have come and gone and come and gone from the sport over the years. Just because they are here now does not mean they will all be here in 5 years.

If Williams can develop a KERS system, and a whole host of other stuff over the years in the limited budget they have, then am sure other teams like McLaren, Red Bull, Brawn etc can manage the same.

I think you are being unfair to the vast amount of talent that Formula 1 teams (not the manufacturers) possess. It was not all that long ago that teams had innovation with a budget of a lot less than £40mill.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 10:37

Williams bought into Automotive Hybrid Power Limited for the Flybrid. They still haven`t been able to use it properly because it rattles around like a pea in a bucket.
          So KERS was far from a wise investment for them so far, Dougie.

Yes, budgets were less than 40 million but what did a pint cost then? ;)

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 10:50

I think you are missing the point… I’ve never agreed with the proposal to have KERS this year with such short notice, Max made it obligatory so the teams had a choice, Williams made a choice and I am all for freedom of choice. Sound investment or not, they made a choice, and with £40mill they would still have a choice.

How much was a pint then? Who cares, that is not the point. The point is, other racing series can put a car on the grid for an absolute fraction of the cost of the £40mill budget for F1… so even with the extra cost of an F1 car, that leaves an enormous amount for R&D.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 14:02

KERS was optional not obligatory.
            Unfortunately, those that went with the FIA`s request to use it were almost all the same as those who went by the OWG aero regulations & so found themselves at a double disadvantage (no diffuser but the added weight/grim balance of KERS).

I don`t think I`m missing the point, Dougie.
            You disagree which is absolutely your right.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 14:28

KERS was optional not obligatory.

Yeah, sorry, that was what I meant… this lack of edit is a bit of a pain.

Which I find to be a bit silly, as it’s the FIA rules that govern the sport. Choice’s and choice’s. But it’s all within the same set of guidelines and therefore (finances apart) an equal playing field.

If you feel the cap is correct then fine but you won`t get back the F1 you were yearning for in an earlier post. Apart from the fact that we can never go back, it`s never the same, these are completely different circumstances which F1 has never had before & in my own opinion should not be brought in as they dumb down what should be the pinnacle of motorsport. You disagree which is absolutely your right.

Actually, I don’t disgree with your point here, and you are absolutely right it will never be the same, and I have to come to accept that. However, with a £40mill cap, it will still be the pinnacle of Motorsport.

If what you want is a showcase for the manufacturers to parade round and round showing off how much money they have and a continuation of a lack of proper overtaking and racing (like we used to have) that’s fine.

I want to see a return to a level competition for all (finances included) and proper wheel to wheel racing.

11. Rabi said on 5th June 2009, 0:05

If FOTA breakaway I would love to see them to do two things:
    1) Modify the cars so they can race on Ovals and participate in the Indy 500, and
    2) Invest into Monza and rebuild the oval, then invite the IRL and race them on that – the Monza 500

• Rabi said on 5th June 2009, 0:06

This would be my “fantasy FOTA calender”:
      01. Adelaide (Australia)
      02. Kyalami (South Africa)
      03. Barcelona (Spain)
      04. Imola (San Marino)
      05. Nurburgring (Germany)
      06. Silverstone (UK)
      07. Magny Cours – widened (France)
      08. Monte Carlo (Monaco)
      09. Montreal (Canada)
      09. Indy 500 (USA)
      10. Zandvoort (Netherlands)
      11. Hockenheim – the old one (Germany)
      12. Monza – inc. oval (Italy)
      13. Spa (Belgium)
      14. Suzuka (Japan)
      15. Singapore (Singapore)
      16. Elkhart Lake (USA)
      17. Interlagos (Brazil)
      18. San Luis (Argentina)

• Bartholomew said on 5th June 2009, 0:24

Maybe Road America and Road Atlanta should be considered.
        I like your list very much , Rabi.

The best drivers, with some old and some new teams, racing on these beautiful tracks with cars that have a reasonable budget cap ( even one close to Max´s proposal ), AND WITHOUT BERNIE AND CVC.
        Max will give his blesing and everyone happy

START YOUR ENGINES GENTLEMEN !!! and I´m turning on the television and opening the beer can n.1 — cheers my brothas !

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 1:15

Ferrari Challenge is at Road America on 28th, Bartholomew.
          They were at Road Atlanta on April 19th.

• Texas F1 Fan said on 5th June 2009, 1:07

No round tracks!!!!

F1 is cool because they know how to turn right…

• Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 14:49

Please, don’t forget:

19. Hermanos Rodriguez (Mexico City)

12. Prisoner Monkeys said on 5th June 2009, 0:20

Playing the Devil’s Advocate here, but right now, we need Mosely. At least until the 2010 regulations get passed. If some kind of coup d’etat was staged right now, it would harm Formula One more than help it. Any manager knows that you don’t change the Powers That Be when you’re in the middle of ushering in new changes. Mosely’s replacement would likely jeopardise things even more, and not because of some perceived character slight, but simply because of the change of power from Mosley to him/her.

Mosley might need to be given his P-45s, but for the sake of the sport, they have to be issued after the regulations have passed and not a moment beforehand.

• persempre said on 5th June 2009, 0:28

I think, if anything, you will be more likely to see the big teams go than Max, Prisoner Monkeys.
      Max may well be around to live up to the title of The Man Who Killed F1.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 5th June 2009, 1:33

I’m not saying whether one side or the other will go. Everybody is pouncing at the opportunity to vent their frustrations with Mosley, but my point is that trying to get rid of him right now is not the answer simply because it will hurt more than it will heal.

Personally, I think Mosley is bluffing a little bit. I can’t imagine that the ten entries submitted so far are all substantial enough to serve as a replacement grid – in fact, the only ones that seem to have a real idea of what they’re getting into are Team US-F1, Lola, Prodrive, Campos and Epsilon Euskadi – and I think he’s trying to scare them into falling in line with his idea.

Let’s be honest: neither side of the FIA-FOTA dispute wants to see all the current teams exit the sport, but both are arrogant enough to think they can start playing chicken and the other guy will back off first. Everyone instantly derides Mosley as the guilty party, but you can’t claim that FOTA are nothing less than comeplely innocent.

13. Adam D said on 5th June 2009, 0:26

Cant disagree with a word that you said there Keith, bloody brilliant article – which im sure FOTA and the teams agree with what uv said.

Dont quite agree with Eddie above, in that we need 14-15 teams with qualifying limiting 4 drivers out of a race, dont think thats fair exactly. But we need the FOTA teams, of course we want a 26 car grid and hopefully USF1, Prodrive and Campos will get the gigs for next year.

F1 cant and wont survive without the FOTA teams, you’re right fans would follow the (and the true f1 drivers and teams) FOTA teams over to their new/custom series and the sport would suffer big time. I do wish some1 would give Mosley a good right hook and knock him out. He’s threatening to kill the sport, with his ego and greed.

14. Jess said on 5th June 2009, 0:33

remeber the IRL/CART Split or the WoO and the other sereies that lasted a season.

• Dougie said on 5th June 2009, 0:41

Keith made a valid point about this, in that FOTA has never mentioned creating a series, and I for one don’t think for a second that FOTA will create a break-away series. They may well continue to race, but FOTA will be dead and the individual teams will do one of 3 things…

1. Crawl back to Formula 1
      2. Race in other already established series (e.g. LeMans, DTM)
      3. Pack there bags and go home to sell cars.

15. JayBee said on 5th June 2009, 0:51

I feel Mosly thinks he is the master of brinkmanship!.
    This situation should never have evolved.
    KERS proving (so far) a big mistake and led a team or 4 up expensive blind alleys at what cost in £’s or euro’s?
    At FIA’s instigation, despite immininent global financial difficulties.
    How many teams regretting not abandoning KERS notions in favour of investing less in chassis and aero to potentially greater effect ?.
    Now we have a 2009 season partially blighted by the double diffuser row, due to vaguely written regs.(did RB not warn?).
    Now without fair warning to the existing teams, a huge budget reduction without consideration to existing contracts (employees, sub-contractors,etc.)
    OK, some of the laid off staff could be picked up by new entrants, but how much technical knowledge could they take with them without another episode of the Ferrari / McLaren spat!.
    Oh by the way, pit space for 13 teams at every circuit, not a problem? I await comments.
    On the positive side, slicks, reduced aero and other changes have produced some great races and a major turnaround in the established pecking order.
    I personally thought JB, with the right car underneath him, was a potential regular a podium driver.
    Come on Red Bull, Ferrari et al, make Brawn and Jenson really earn their potential WDC, WCC and show Max (and to a certain extent Bernie), plus FOTA, what they are jeapordising!.
    Some heads need knocking together over the present situation.
    Are team sponsors and worldwide TV channels looking at alternatives to F1 for 2010/2011? I suspect so.
    F1 has evolved into a global interest / fascination.
    So why risk killing the golden goose?

16. Number 38 said on 5th June 2009, 0:54

The FOTA can’t get along with each other, how on earth are they going to run a series by themselves? MadMax knows this and even if they try it will be a dismal flop and MadMax gets the last laugh. MadMax is the problem however and must be done away with somehow.

17. Jez said on 5th June 2009, 1:01

Hear hear! FOTA all the way. I just cant believe that Mosley is being such a retard. Is he blind or just a Twat? If all those historic and valuable teams leave F1, its going to take talented drivers with them and its going to die. I possibly agree with the budget cap, but at least introduce it gradually. Not slam a 40 mil number in straight away. Why doesn’t he just get a room with Ecclestone. Mind you, at least he wants the teams to stay… even if he doesn’t want Silverstone. Together, they’re both screwing F1 in to the ground. I guess its a case of…

F1 is dead. long live FOTA!

18. manatcna said on 5th June 2009, 1:18

If FOTA does form a breakaway series (and it’s a big if) I presume that the BBC would follow the FIA setup, i.e. The Carp Series, and not the “Real F1″

If that is the case, F1 would die.
    Without TV money Formula One couldn’t survive.

I think Mosley should step down and maybe have a change of career – maybe politics (I think the bNp are looking for new members) – he could wear one of his daddy’s old shirts.

19. Isuraeru said on 5th June 2009, 1:46

Please leave Ferrari I will follow you wherever you go!!

20. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with money and is nothing more than a power-struggle. Max needs all of it, no compromise.

In my practise/experience, I have come across a wonderful model of the 5 stages of relationships:

-Romance
    -Power struggle
    -Integration
    -Commitment
    -Co-creation

Unfortunately, most relationships get the order all wrong, but if we were to accept that the long F1 romance phase is over and we are in a classic power-struggle, then the only way forward is for each side to acknowledge the others position and work out a compromise that allows all involved to come from a position of empowerment and equality. Then integration can happen and commitment (Concord agreement) and co-creation (sharing of power/rule making and revenue) can occur.

Your 50 minute hour is over, Max. I suggest next week we talk about your sexual predilections and the two sides of the domination/submission coin.