Rate the race: Turkish Grand Prix

Jenson Button notched up his sixth win of 2009 in Turkey.

What did you think of the race? Rate it out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2009 Turkish Grand Prix out of ten

• 9 - Fantastic (2%)
  • 10 - Perfect (1%)

Total Voters: 1,829

Loading ... Loading ...

122 comments on Rate the race: Turkish Grand Prix

1. StrFerrari4Ever said on 7th June 2009, 20:12

Good to see someone share’s the same view as me TommyB Jenson’s a good guy but seeing him just winning all the time it’s getting unbareable when Schumi dominated I didn’t have a problem because you knew that it wasn’t just the car it was the whole package and he deserved it more than anyone. But with Jenson I get frustrated because I know he deserves a top car but not one where he can dominate with if Red Bull don’t win at Silverstone the title race could be finished.Just a sidenote did anyone see the entry speeds for Turn 8 I think Vettel had 272.8km/h isnt that the highest into that corner during the circuits history or did cars go faster in years past?

2. HounslowBusGarage said on 7th June 2009, 21:08

I remember a quote from an old time GP driver, who said something like “The secret to winning is to drive as slowly as possibly, while still driving faster than all the others.”
    Can anyone remind me who said that?
    And doesn’t that look like what Jenson has done this year? His smooth style has often obscured his pace to the extent that it looks metronimacly boring when he’s smashing the opposition to pieces.
    Not his fault. Smoothest is quickest. That’s the way Jackie Stewart did it. Blame the others for not being quick enough and allowing Button to drive as slowly as possible while still driving faster than the opposition.
    Congratulations to JB.

• Dougie said on 8th June 2009, 2:01

Can anyone remind me who said that?

Sounds like something Prost would say, but I don’t know for sure I’m afraid.

3. 123 said on 8th June 2009, 0:00

why did they go though all that trouble with overtaking and suddenly allow a ddd which creates a large amount of turbulence

• Dougie said on 8th June 2009, 11:56

What evidence do you have to support this claim?

My understanding is that the diffuser cleans up the air exiting the car and therefore, I imagine, reduces turbulence.

4. sean said on 8th June 2009, 1:05

The scariest thing about the no in season testing is that what has happened this year could happen again & again.Say Mclaren make a car like the Brawn next year we could see exactly the same thing just a different team and there is a strong possibility soon, one or two of the big teams are going to shelve this year and concentrate on 2010.If turkey is anything to go by why would you bother chucking big money over improvement’s that show no real advantage.Ferrari’s race was a joke I predict them to be the first to move.

5. 123 said on 8th June 2009, 2:04

you know the medal system might have been better in this ocasion

6. Leaf said on 8th June 2009, 2:22

Boring, Boring, Boring
    I like Button and I think what Brawn is doing is great. Turkey looks like a beautiful venue for a race. The track layout is interesting. But, come on guys…this race was BORING.

7. Leaf said on 8th June 2009, 2:25

Oh.. by the way. Maybe Bernie is doing a re-think on that medal system thing. :-)
    Lets all hope the B man is feling better.

8. Leaf said on 8th June 2009, 2:26

sorry, thats “feeling better.”

9. 123 said on 8th June 2009, 3:47

any 1 notice Naomi Campbell is completely insane

10. Owen G said on 8th June 2009, 5:13

I wonder, if Vettel hadn’t made his mistake, stayed in front of Button and won the race with everything else remaining as it happened, would there be as many people bemoaning how “boring” this race was? I thought that there were a few exciting battles throughout and another outstanding drive from Button meant it got a 6 from me.

The down side of having the grid on it’s head this year is that in the 6 of the best cars on the grid (Brawn, RBR and Toyota) there’s only 1 driver showing he has what it takes to win the title. If any of those other seats had Hamilton, Kimi or Alonso in them it’d be the close fight people want.

11. The Limit said on 8th June 2009, 5:14

It does make me laugh when I still read messages on here about Lewis Hamilton ‘only winning because he had the best car’ as if he were the only driver in history to do so!
    I guess that is why we never saw a champion crowned driving a Minardi then. Ofcourse its down to the strength of the car, in most cases. It is all about maximising your potential when the machinery is competitive and reliable. When you look back at the ‘majority’ of F1 champions over the last three decades they all won when they had a competitive car. Very few, including such legends as Prost, Senna, Schumacher, Hakkinen, and even Alonso, succeeded in winning championships with duff cars.
    In nearly every form of motorsports this applies. So Jenson Button is only doing what other great drivers have done before. He is wringing the neck out of the best racing car he has probably ever driven, just like Senna in 1988, just like Hakkinen in 1998, and just like Schumacher in 2004 (which in my opinion was probably the best car Ferrari gave him). So cut the crap.
    As for the race. Snooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeee.

12. Maurice Henry said on 8th June 2009, 11:50

Dull race. Expect worse next year. Nice to see the FIA rule changes, which have cost the teams a lot of money in R&D, have done nothing to improve the racing. I wonder if Nigel Mansell will say how devalued Jenson’s title is because he only beat 19 other guys rather than 25 in his WDC year?

• Dougie said on 8th June 2009, 12:22

In contrast, in fact, Mansell is backing Button and has nothing negative to say about his driving, the car, or the way in which he is winning. He believe Jenson utterly deserves this chance and is happy to see the man who has spent many a season struggling with a uncompetitive machine get his chance to show his full worth.

All from the interview in Monaco with Ted.

13. Dougie said on 8th June 2009, 12:27

See my reply here

In summary, in an interview with Ted in Monaco he was absolutely full of praise for Button and fully behind him.

• Maurice Henry said on 8th June 2009, 17:46

Then I wonder why he said it about Lewis? BTW I have to work weekends and cannot always be bothered to sit through the build up so I would have castigated Mansell for that at the time had I seen it.

• Dougie said on 9th June 2009, 1:57

I think Mansell is miffed because Lewis went straight into a Championship winning car and had it again the following year, whereas Button had “served his apprenticeship” so that makes it deserved. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think they both are great drivers and very deserving of the title, and in a straight fight there wouldn’t be much in it.

14. Dougie said on 8th June 2009, 12:48

In an interview with Ted in Monaco he was absolutely full of praise for Button and fully behind him.

15. Maurice Henry said on 8th June 2009, 17:50

I recommend people who say it will all be so much better next year read Murray Walker’s comments in F1 Racing’s latest mag. He doesn’t think it will be that much more exciting without refuelling.