Button tipped to boost home wins record

From Moss to Clark (above) to Mansell: British fans have seen 21 home wins

From Moss to Clark (above) to Mansell: British fans have seen 21 home wins

Britain has had more home winners of its Grand Prix than any other country.

And with Jenson Button favourite to win again this year, that record could grow even further this weekend.

British winners in the British Grand Prix

Of the 59 British Grands Prix to date, 21 have been won by home drivers:

Stirling Moss – 1955
Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks – 1957
Peter Collins – 1958
Jim Clark – 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967
Jackie Stewart – 1969, 1971
James Hunt – 1977
John Watson – 1981
Nigel Mansell – 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992
Damon Hill – 1994
Johnny Herbert – 1995
David Coulthard – 1999, 2000
Lewis Hamilton – 2008

No other country has made it into double figures – not even Italy, the only other nation to have held a Grand Prix in every year of the world championship:

Country Home wins Home winners Home races
Great Britain 21 12 59
Brazil 9 4 36
France 8 3 58
Germany 5 2 55
Argentina 4 1 20
Italy 4 3 59

Other races with home winners: Austria, South Africa, Canada, Spain, USA.

And had James Hunt not been stripped of his win in 1976 the British total would be even higher.

Jenson Button: the 14th winner?

After winning six of the first seven races, it’s no surprise that Jenson Button is the favourite to win again this weekend.

Bookmakers Paddy Power are giving 8/11 odds on Button to win, 9/2 on Sebastian Vettel and 15/2 on Rubens Barrichello. The chances of a repeat win for Lewis Hamilton? A slender 40/1.

But those of you hoping for anything other than another Button win can take heart from this: I’m going to my sixth British Grand Prix this weekend – and I’ve never seen a home win yet.

Whether anyone will get a chance to win the British Grand Prix in 2010 depends on Simon Gillett’s vision of a race at Donington coming true – or Silverstone pulling something spectacular out of the bag. If it doesn’t happen, at least it’ll give the rest a chance to catch up.

More about British drivers and the British Grand Prix

58 comments on Button tipped to boost home wins record

1. Interesting stat, Keith.

I would like to point out, though, that percentage-wise the difference in home wins between Great Britain (35.6%) and Brazil (25,0%) is somewhat smaller than the absolute numbers imply. Plus, when you take into account the total number of drivers from each country, Brazil is at 14.3% regarding home winners, with Great Britain on 7.8%.

Additionally, I’d like to see a stat on home wins and home winners with the number of drivers in their respective home races, but I couldn’t find a quick way to extract the number of e.g. British drivers in the British GP from Forix.

Oh, and IIRC, Hunt shouldn’t have restarted the race at all, regarding this one… ;-)

• F1Yankee said on 15th June 2009, 8:09

thanks for elaborating on the figures.

i am shocked at the italian numbers. i thought the french would have faired better, too. (you can make your own joke there)

2. DGR-F1 said on 15th June 2009, 8:33

I am keeping my hopes up for Button of course, and this time the media do not appear to have hyped him up the way they usually do with British F1 drivers. Though I have a feeling all may not go according to plan…..

3. Daniel said on 15th June 2009, 9:32

Interesting stat. I guess the Italian numbers may have to do with the small total number of wins by Italian drivers.
    Maybe a stat about constructor home wins would also be interesting…

4. Macca said on 15th June 2009, 9:32

Hey Keith, can you explain what the difference is between home wins and home winners is please.

• PJA said on 15th June 2009, 10:00

I assume Home wins means total number of races won by a driver from that country, whereas Home winners is the total number of drivers from that country to win their home race.

For Great Britain 12 different drivers have won the British Grand Prix a total of 21 times.

5. Macca said on 15th June 2009, 9:35

Don’t you mean Button the 13th win?

6. Pointer said on 15th June 2009, 9:44

If ‘home’ were considered country of residence, as opposed to country of birth, how would Monaco fare?

(@Macca, Jim Clark = 5 home wins, but 1 home winner)

7. PJA said on 15th June 2009, 10:04

The figures aren’t that surprising when you consider the number of World Champions from Britain compared with other countries. Also although currently Germany has the most F1 drivers in previous years I think it was usually Britain.

8. If you take the total number of drivers from each WDC-winning country into account, the list is somewhat different.
    # Country WDCs Drivers Percentage
    11 France 4 69 5,80%
    12 South Africa 1 19 5,26%
    13 Italy 3 97 3,09%
    14 United States 2 156 1,28%

• Well, that looks like cr^p… :(

• James G said on 15th June 2009, 13:56

Doesn’t look like crap to me. It looks like Britain have had 154 F1 drivers and 13 WDCs.

Admittedly, our percentage success is not very high, but that is largely due to statistical bias that favours countries with fewer drivers.

As there can be only one WDC each year, having any more than one driver from the same country at any one time will automatically reduce the winning percentage for that country. You will notice that all countries with over 30 drivers are in the bottom half of the table.

• Gman said on 16th June 2009, 1:52

Great info bud, but in regards to the American drivers..I presume your 156 F1 drivers includes all the Indy 500 drivers in that 10-year span of involvement. I believe if you take those guys out, we end up with something like 46-48 Americans with at least one GP start to their credit. Not as many as many other nations, but still alot to be proud of.

9. TommyB said on 15th June 2009, 11:06

Wonder how many “Jenson fans” this year were “Hamilton fans” last year

• Why can’t you be both?

I’m a Jenson fan, I’m also a Hamilton fan, I was previously a Coulthard, Davidson, Hill, Mansell, Herbert et al fan.

I’m British so I support all the British drivers.

That said, next year, I’ll be supporting Manor as I’m a Yorkshireman and they’re from Yorkshire!!

10. Adrian said on 15th June 2009, 12:06

I have a question, how come there are 2 winners for 1957?

I’m sure it’s a simple explanation, but one which I have overlooked!!

• Indeed a simple explanation. From Wikipedia:

The race was won by Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks, who shared driving duties in a Vanwall.

• Adrian said on 16th June 2009, 15:19

See, I told you it’d be a simple one I’d overlooked – I only looked at the overall season stats and they listed Stirling Moss as the winner of the British GP and it never occurred to me that more than one driver would share an F1 drive..!!

11. al_amana said on 15th June 2009, 13:40

The figure I’m most surprised with is the Germans. I would have thought Schumi would have won at Hockenheim and Nurburgring more that you have stated? Or have you discounted the European GP as a home GP? I also have 3 German drivers that have won – R schumacher, M schumacher and J Rindt for a total of 7 wins. Am I missing something again?

• persempre said on 15th June 2009, 13:49

Jochen Rindt was born in Germany but grew up with his grandparents in Austria. His parents were killed in a bombing raid.
      I think he entered as Austrian.

• al_amana said on 15th June 2009, 13:57

Wow are you on the ball persempre. Can I ask, if I were to come to your house would I creeped out with the F1 memorabilia strewn across not just the lounge room but also the slightly worrying F1 paraphernalia in the bedroom? But seriously, either I didn’t read that far into the Wiki listing or they didn’t mention what you have pointeed out.

• persempre said on 15th June 2009, 14:00

LOL – No, I don`t actually collect much memorabilia. :)
          I might creep you out, though ;)

12. al_amana said on 15th June 2009, 13:51

Then to really pick your stats apart. You have stated that the British have won “x” amount of races but if you’re going to be consistent when you are comparing countries I think it is unfair to group the British drivers when they are clearer from seperate “countries”. So I have the English with 11 of 21. The Scots with 9 of 21 and the Irish with 1 of 21.

• persempre said on 15th June 2009, 14:02

Fair comment.
      We only call them Brits when they win, anyway. They`re definitely Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish when they lose ;)

• al_amana said on 15th June 2009, 14:11

I’m creeping myself out with the appreciation I have for your sense of humour…!
        Finally a F1 Fanatic who isn’t wearing too much of their heart on their sleeve! (Only when his man is winning though)

• persempre said on 15th June 2009, 14:22

:O It`s possible to wear your heart on your sleeve but not to have your head in the sand at the same time, you know ;)

• James G said on 15th June 2009, 14:10

Interesting point, but England, Scotland and Wales are all part of the island known as Great Britain. These together form the state known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, usually known as the UK or (somewhat incorrectly) Britain.

The nationality that appears on an FIA driving licence is the same as that of the driver’s passport. As there is no separate English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish citizenship, all F1 drivers from these places are listed as British drivers (although citizens of Northern Ireland can also apply for citizenship of The Republic of Ireland if they so choose).

• al_amana said on 15th June 2009, 14:13

Except when they’re losing it seems ^^^ lol

• persempre said on 15th June 2009, 14:24

We issue passports on the assumption that Brits will win, of course ;)

• Macca said on 16th June 2009, 6:56

So why in A1GP is there an Irish team but there is also a Great Britin team. Souldn’t the Great British team be England.

• James G said on 16th June 2009, 13:49

That’s the Republic of Ireland, the southern part, which is an independent country.

13. Shouldn’t Brazil home winners be 5 instead of 4?

Carlos Pace, Fittipaldi, Piquet, Senna and Massa.

14. TommyB said on 15th June 2009, 14:47

Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks – 1957

AND!?

15. Fer no.65 said on 15th June 2009, 14:59

LOL at your personal stat :P…!