Rate the race: British Grand Prix

What did you think of the British Grand Prix? Rate it out of ten and leave a comment below.

Rate the 2009 British Grand Prix out of 10

• 9 - Fantastic (5%)
  • 10 - Perfect (2%)

Total Voters: 1,843

Loading ... Loading ...

48 comments on Rate the race: British Grand Prix

1. slicksf1 said on 21st June 2009, 17:24

This is the new improved F1 with better overtaking opportunities? If there were as many as a handful of overtakes I’d be surprised – certainly after the first couple of laps there were none in the front half of the field.

The only interest was in seeing when the pit stops would be to shake down the positions. It’ll be even duller next year when there’s no re-fueling.

The high point was seeing Vettel win, and win well. It was just such a boring race though.

2. Neil said on 21st June 2009, 17:29

A good race, but completely boring commentary from the BBC. I’m sick of hearing about why Silverstone should be the British Grand Prix and how Donington’s plans are oh so going to fail.

Do they forget that there are fans who live closer to Donington, or the fantastic fact that it has an airport right next to it?

Also, where’s the fun in racing the same track year after year – British fans deserve the race to alternate between venues just like the Japanese and German races do.

3. sasbus said on 21st June 2009, 17:34

What a tedious race. Vettel just cruised to a 1 2 finish. Only difference from the previous races is that Button did not me.

4. Oliver said on 21st June 2009, 17:35

Its a sign of the times, when we have to look towards the battle for 16th place for entertainment.
    Vettel drove a good race, but he was never under any pressure from start to finish. It would have been very interesting to see how Webber and Vettel could have battled it out but for Barichello, although Vettel had a fuel advantage.

Its also ironic that drivers who make the effort of getting into the top ten are then penalized for it. Anyone qualifying between 6th – 10th places is running at a disadvantage to the guys in 11th -14th positions.

• Hakka said on 21st June 2009, 18:01

To be fair, the backmarkers always had very interesting fights even in the “boring” Schumi era. It’s just that now the backmarkers have tons of fans and the race director spends more time on them. So it’s all more visible.

Agreed. There is too sharp a difference between what is allowed for #10 and #11 positions on the grid. They are only a few meters apart but #11 has a much wider range of choices for strategy. But this has been well known for a while, it’s just that some tracks bring it out more.

5. Christian Briddon said on 21st June 2009, 19:00

I was there sat in Pit Straight B and I thought the race was fantastic. :-)

Being there though can make any race amazing and I have not watched the recording yet.

• TommyB said on 21st June 2009, 19:09

Very True.

I was at Valencia last year and still enjoyed it ;)

• Net Sticks said on 21st June 2009, 19:24

I believe that being there, even a boring race turn into a great show. But be fair after waiting the TV recording and compare it with other – from this year and others!

I’ve been to 4 or more GPs and some winter tests, so I know who it sound when we ear that engines blast away, really, but the race was very uneventful, no twists, no crashes, no rain, not even a leader change (exact those 2 or 3 laps with Vettel went into the pits and Webber became first…)

6. Xibi said on 21st June 2009, 19:16

Compared to other races this year, it was good, but I found it very frustrating that in some corners, where an overtaking move could have materialized, it just wasn’t possible to do because of the dirty air the cars leave behind them. I can’t imagine how frustrated the drivers got as well… The Alonso-Hamilton battle was good and I enjoyed that.

RedBull Racing also did a very good job with the car. I think it’s the new monster of the grid.

7. David A said on 21st June 2009, 19:41

Great drive by Vettel, absolutely mullered the competition.

However when the only fights are for 16th place, you know its a dull race. 4/10.

• F1Yankee said on 22nd June 2009, 0:50

i agree, with a 5/10. sure, red bull dominated, and good for them, but i’d like to see some action for points-paying spots.

8. cswilly said on 21st June 2009, 20:51

How in the heck can anybody vote that race as “good”.

It was from the 1990′s; a “precession”. They start and they go around. I thought the new rules changed something, but no–round and round they go :-(

• TommyB said on 21st June 2009, 21:00

Yeah the rule changes have just made it worse. They should have banned the double decker diffusers. Now they just get dirty air again and it’s annoying

9. I spent the day at Club Corner, from their the cars look awesome and the action at Vale was great!

Hamilton put on a great show for us too, with some donuts for us on his in lap!

10. StrFerrari4Ever said on 21st June 2009, 21:22

Oh will you all please stop the moaning that was for me a Perfect race only because of the speed and character Vettel showed to pull away from the field its not like there wasn’t any squabbles going on.I mean yes i’d have prefered seeing cars closer together but you have to look past the lack of action and appreciate the skill those drivers were showing.

11. Leaf said on 21st June 2009, 22:02

Nice last 3 or 4 laps with Button closing on Rosberg. It was never gonna happen though. Bourdais probably sealed his fate today. Webber looked disappointed on the podium. How do you compete with Vettel right now? Button better win the WC this year, ’cause it looks like Vettel is gonna have a lock on it for the next few years.
    Also, nice to se a GP that has more people on a Friday than some of the others, (Turkey, Bahrain, Maylasia), have all weekend. The British know how to do a GP.

12. Steve_P said on 22nd June 2009, 0:43

I can’t believe all of these comments about a boring race. You guys need to find a new sport. I thought it was great. Sure, Vettel started from front and one. Most races are won from the front row though aren’t they? There was tons of action behind the top three. Massa had a great race back there and several other drivers did as well. Silverstone really is a great racing track.

13. I voted boring. I even fell asleep at about quarter distance, to wake up for the final 20-odd laps.

14. scunnyman said on 22nd June 2009, 9:20

Pretty boring, the only real action was those cars and drivers who have been struggling all season.

15. Bigbadderboom said on 22nd June 2009, 11:53

For me the race was good, very interesting to see how sensative the cars are now track conditions, excellent interview with Rob Smedley from the BBC Red Button F1 Forum. He explained how even a single degree of track temperature can bring the car to the driver, the details of tyre wear and explained the dynamics of the relationship between engineer and driver, very informative.
    I must say how impressive the BBC coverage has been, David Coulthard gives opinion from a drivers stand point as does Martin Brundell, Eddie Jordan give his view as an ex team principle. Jake Humphrey does an excellent job, however the weak link is Leggard, his innacurate, ill informed observations anoy me, but not as much as his stating the obvious, I actually shouted obscenities at his commentary this weekend, especially during quali.
    One last comment, well done Jake for getting the “looney” comment out of Mad Max, and getting Flavio identified as who Max see’s as the trouble maker. Great interview, I must say if that is how Max negotiates, by contradicting himself and adopting offensive terminology then it’s no wonder the sport is in such dissaray!!!!