New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley has sent a stinging letter to Luca di Montezemolo, accusing the FOTA and Ferrari boss of describing him as a “dictator” and giving inaccurate information to the press following the deal reached yesterday.

Mosley has demanded FOTA “correct false statements” and issue and apology or else he will “consider my options open” regarding his future as FIA president. Here’s the letter in full:

Dear Luca,

We made a deal yesterday in Paris to end the recent difficulties in Formula One. A fundamental part of this was that we would both present a positive and truthful account to the media. I was therefore astonished to learn that FOTA had been briefing the press that Mr Boeri had taken charge of Formula One, something which you know is completely untrue; that I have been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.

Furthermore, you have suggested to the media that I was a “dictator”, an accusation which is grossly insulting to the 26 members of the World Motor Sports Council who have discussed and voted all the rules and procedures of Formula One since the 1980s, not to mention the representatives of the FIA’s 122 countries who have democratically endorsed everything Iand my World Motor Sport Council colleagues have done during the last 18 years.

If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions. You must correct the false statements which have been made and make no further such statements. You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon.

Formula One is run entirely by our 5-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula One once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday.

However, given your and FOTA’s deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now onsider my options open. At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. After that it is the FIA members clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA.

Yours sincerely,

Max Mosley

Share this post on Digg, submit it to Stumbleupon, or share it with the rest of the world using the social sites below.

156 comments on New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

1. gabal said on 25th June 2009, 23:06

Egos in F1 are huge – so are the mouth in some team principals (Flavio and di Montezemolo, I’m looking at you). I just hope there are some reasonable people inside FIA who won’t let this get blown out of proportion… Can they punish him based on article 151c?

• persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:45

Unfortunately Max has a tendency to enjoy punishment :(

• They cannot punish him under 151c, except by fining him. He doesn’t have a licence, so it cannot be revoked, nor does he have any race results to have modified or removed.

What the FIA can do is have a vote of confidence. It would be reliant on convincing the smaller countries that their prize events would be safer without Max than with him – and maybe petitioning the relevant individuals would help.

2. JHunt said on 25th June 2009, 23:14

di Montezemolo could learn a thing or two from Flav about keeping his mouth shut .. but just could not resist one last dig.. now it is personal let see if they turn on him

• persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:48

You really think that would have made any difference? Someone or something would probably have triggered this before October. He must have written the letter as soon as yesterday`s press conference was over. He had no intention of going quietly & with dignity.

• Tom Watson said on 26th June 2009, 0:34

There was a piece on the itv f1 website claiming mosleybhs vowednto write explosive memoirs, I imagine it’s still there.

3. varun said on 25th June 2009, 23:15

The best way to describe Max is: “He’s son of a b****”

4. Kovy said on 25th June 2009, 23:16

This is why a breakaway series is needed. Yesterday’s solution attempted to fix the symptoms, not the disease itself (the FIA, Max, and Bernie.)

• Leaf said on 26th June 2009, 1:45

well said. I still hope it happens …for next year. Unfortionately, if it doesn’t FOTA is just putting off the inevitable.

5. Johnt said on 25th June 2009, 23:19

“At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. ”

In a letter trying to state how he isn’t a dictator? GG Max!

6. Mother…

Well, he also is a loonie and a halfwit. He needs a good spanking! LOL!

7. persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:35

He`ll push them too far. I haven`t heard that any contracts have been signed yet.

8. Gianecchini said on 25th June 2009, 23:37

I knew it. That man is a psychopath…what else?

9. SoLiD said on 25th June 2009, 23:41

Let’s pray he’s gone very soon so we can get a fresh air in F1… get it modernised? let’s hope

10. John H said on 25th June 2009, 23:42

What a horrible and selfish man we have here.

11. Leslie said on 25th June 2009, 23:44

and just when I thought he was going to spend more time with his five closest friends…….

12. Wesley said on 25th June 2009, 23:54

He is like a child stamping his feet because he wants the playground all to himself.

13. Leaf said on 26th June 2009, 0:07

He needs a very firm spanking, and then….er..never mind.

14. Fernando said on 26th June 2009, 0:10

Damn is George Bush back or what? At least he left quietly this guy won’t shut the F up!

15. Rick DeNatale said on 26th June 2009, 0:26

This is why I added “I hope” to my “Ding Dong the witch is dead” reply to the earlier article.

Don’t count your witches before they’re melted!

16. Andrew said on 26th June 2009, 0:32

The truth hurts sometimes, doesn’t it Max?

17. ComeBackMontoya said on 26th June 2009, 0:43

I read in the news just now that Michael Jackson has died, very sad news indeed I thought. Then I read that Max is considering staying on at the helm of the FIA, fell to my knees and sobbed inconsolably.

I can’t believe that after just one day he’s picking fights already. He is a sad, bitter & twisted ‘loonie’ who doesn’t know when he’s outstayed his welcome.

I sincerely hope Luca does NOT issue any apology to Max, certainly not until Max apologises for the insults he’s been throwing of late.

And here was me thinking it was all going to be about the racing from here onwards :-(

18. sean said on 26th June 2009, 0:49

This guy is on another planet!He just doesn’t get it”none as blind as those that will not see”.

19. Michael said on 26th June 2009, 0:49

is max mosley the most childish, immature 68 year old in the world?

20. wasiF1 said on 26th June 2009, 1:27

Just as we thought we can concentrate on wheel to wheel battle on track MAX had just BLOWN it.

“I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office”.
    That does sound like a DICTATOR