New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley has sent a stinging letter to Luca di Montezemolo, accusing the FOTA and Ferrari boss of describing him as a “dictator” and giving inaccurate information to the press following the deal reached yesterday.

Mosley has demanded FOTA “correct false statements” and issue and apology or else he will “consider my options open” regarding his future as FIA president. Here’s the letter in full:

Dear Luca,

We made a deal yesterday in Paris to end the recent difficulties in Formula One. A fundamental part of this was that we would both present a positive and truthful account to the media. I was therefore astonished to learn that FOTA had been briefing the press that Mr Boeri had taken charge of Formula One, something which you know is completely untrue; that I have been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.

Furthermore, you have suggested to the media that I was a “dictator”, an accusation which is grossly insulting to the 26 members of the World Motor Sports Council who have discussed and voted all the rules and procedures of Formula One since the 1980s, not to mention the representatives of the FIA’s 122 countries who have democratically endorsed everything Iand my World Motor Sport Council colleagues have done during the last 18 years.

If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions. You must correct the false statements which have been made and make no further such statements. You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon.

Formula One is run entirely by our 5-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula One once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday.

However, given your and FOTA’s deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now onsider my options open. At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. After that it is the FIA members clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA.

Yours sincerely,

Max Mosley

Share this post on Digg, submit it to Stumbleupon, or share it with the rest of the world using the social sites below.

156 comments on New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

1. Cameron said on 25th June 2009, 22:34

Hurry up FOTA… just start the breakaway series. That idiot Mosley isn’t going anywhere… and we all know it.

2. Robert McKay said on 25th June 2009, 22:40

Did he even wait for the ink to dry on the contracts? Have FOTA signed anything?

• To my reading of the statement, Max has broken any contracts that were signed – and if they weren’t signed, there won’t be any legal consequences for ignoring it.

3. TommyB said on 25th June 2009, 22:41

Oh my God THAT MAN!! SO annoying!

4. To us, three things were most important: that F1 stay F1 and not become F3; that there is no dictator, but that there was a choice of rules, agreed and not imposed; and that whoever had a team was consulted and had a voice.
    I uunderstand that Max could interperate this statement , but in my mind, (what little tere is left after this whole mess) what Luca said was that there IS no dictator,meaning Max was being reasonable as opposed to unyielding, and the rest is just misunderstaing of Mxax saying that he couls take the rest of the summer off. I think max is picking flysh-t out of the pepper.
    Barry

• persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:52

From the FOTA meeting:

The Chairman and FOTA also thanked the FIA President: “Mosley was very clear and honest. He said that he had thought about leaving already some time ago and that his staff knew about it. Therefore I have to say, in a moment when Mosley is leaving, that I have to thank him, beyond the points of controversy we had, because he has been working very well, especially as far as safety is concerned.”
      ———-
      I`m not sure how much overwhelming gratitude Max expects but that doesn`t sound like an insult to me.

5. carldec said on 25th June 2009, 22:55

what the hell do we have to do to get rid of this SOB?

Dress in green and demonstrate in the streets? Hell, I would be up for that if it would do any good… But I live in Austin, Texas and behavior like that would just confuse most people here….

6. gabal said on 25th June 2009, 23:06

Egos in F1 are huge – so are the mouth in some team principals (Flavio and di Montezemolo, I’m looking at you). I just hope there are some reasonable people inside FIA who won’t let this get blown out of proportion… Can they punish him based on article 151c?

• persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:45

Unfortunately Max has a tendency to enjoy punishment :(

• They cannot punish him under 151c, except by fining him. He doesn’t have a licence, so it cannot be revoked, nor does he have any race results to have modified or removed.

What the FIA can do is have a vote of confidence. It would be reliant on convincing the smaller countries that their prize events would be safer without Max than with him – and maybe petitioning the relevant individuals would help.

7. JHunt said on 25th June 2009, 23:14

di Montezemolo could learn a thing or two from Flav about keeping his mouth shut .. but just could not resist one last dig.. now it is personal let see if they turn on him

• persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:48

You really think that would have made any difference? Someone or something would probably have triggered this before October. He must have written the letter as soon as yesterday`s press conference was over. He had no intention of going quietly & with dignity.

• Tom Watson said on 26th June 2009, 0:34

There was a piece on the itv f1 website claiming mosleybhs vowednto write explosive memoirs, I imagine it’s still there.

8. varun said on 25th June 2009, 23:15

The best way to describe Max is: “He’s son of a b****”

9. Kovy said on 25th June 2009, 23:16

This is why a breakaway series is needed. Yesterday’s solution attempted to fix the symptoms, not the disease itself (the FIA, Max, and Bernie.)

• Leaf said on 26th June 2009, 1:45

well said. I still hope it happens …for next year. Unfortionately, if it doesn’t FOTA is just putting off the inevitable.

10. Johnt said on 25th June 2009, 23:19

“At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. ”

In a letter trying to state how he isn’t a dictator? GG Max!

11. Mother…

Well, he also is a loonie and a halfwit. He needs a good spanking! LOL!

12. persempre said on 25th June 2009, 23:35

He`ll push them too far. I haven`t heard that any contracts have been signed yet.

13. Gianecchini said on 25th June 2009, 23:37

I knew it. That man is a psychopath…what else?

14. SoLiD said on 25th June 2009, 23:41

Let’s pray he’s gone very soon so we can get a fresh air in F1… get it modernised? let’s hope

15. John H said on 25th June 2009, 23:42

What a horrible and selfish man we have here.