New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley has sent a stinging letter to Luca di Montezemolo, accusing the FOTA and Ferrari boss of describing him as a “dictator” and giving inaccurate information to the press following the deal reached yesterday.

Mosley has demanded FOTA “correct false statements” and issue and apology or else he will “consider my options open” regarding his future as FIA president. Here’s the letter in full:

Dear Luca,

We made a deal yesterday in Paris to end the recent difficulties in Formula One. A fundamental part of this was that we would both present a positive and truthful account to the media. I was therefore astonished to learn that FOTA had been briefing the press that Mr Boeri had taken charge of Formula One, something which you know is completely untrue; that I have been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.

Furthermore, you have suggested to the media that I was a “dictator”, an accusation which is grossly insulting to the 26 members of the World Motor Sports Council who have discussed and voted all the rules and procedures of Formula One since the 1980s, not to mention the representatives of the FIA’s 122 countries who have democratically endorsed everything Iand my World Motor Sport Council colleagues have done during the last 18 years.

If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions. You must correct the false statements which have been made and make no further such statements. You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon.

Formula One is run entirely by our 5-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula One once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday.

However, given your and FOTA’s deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now onsider my options open. At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. After that it is the FIA members clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA.

Yours sincerely,

Max Mosley

Share this post on Digg, submit it to Stumbleupon, or share it with the rest of the world using the social sites below.

156 comments on New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

1. Leslie said on 25th June 2009, 23:44

and just when I thought he was going to spend more time with his five closest friends…….

2. Wesley said on 25th June 2009, 23:54

He is like a child stamping his feet because he wants the playground all to himself.

3. Leaf said on 26th June 2009, 0:07

He needs a very firm spanking, and then….er..never mind.

4. Fernando said on 26th June 2009, 0:10

Damn is George Bush back or what? At least he left quietly this guy won’t shut the F up!

5. Rick DeNatale said on 26th June 2009, 0:26

This is why I added “I hope” to my “Ding Dong the witch is dead” reply to the earlier article.

Don’t count your witches before they’re melted!

6. Andrew said on 26th June 2009, 0:32

The truth hurts sometimes, doesn’t it Max?

7. ComeBackMontoya said on 26th June 2009, 0:43

I read in the news just now that Michael Jackson has died, very sad news indeed I thought. Then I read that Max is considering staying on at the helm of the FIA, fell to my knees and sobbed inconsolably.

I can’t believe that after just one day he’s picking fights already. He is a sad, bitter & twisted ‘loonie’ who doesn’t know when he’s outstayed his welcome.

I sincerely hope Luca does NOT issue any apology to Max, certainly not until Max apologises for the insults he’s been throwing of late.

And here was me thinking it was all going to be about the racing from here onwards :-(

8. sean said on 26th June 2009, 0:49

This guy is on another planet!He just doesn’t get it”none as blind as those that will not see”.

9. Michael said on 26th June 2009, 0:49

is max mosley the most childish, immature 68 year old in the world?

10. wasiF1 said on 26th June 2009, 1:27

Just as we thought we can concentrate on wheel to wheel battle on track MAX had just BLOWN it.

“I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office”.
    That does sound like a DICTATOR

11. Prisoner Monkeys said on 26th June 2009, 1:33

Mosley’s taking an awful risk, here.

His stepping down was a condition of the peace negotiations. No Mosley, no breakaway. He cannot expect the FIA to re-elect him after a) previously agreeing to step down in Ocotber, which leads to b) jeopardising everything the FIA and FOTA have worked for.

12. Rick DeNatale said on 26th June 2009, 1:37

What a day.

First I get the news that F1 has been saved.

Then I get the news that Farrah Fawcett has died.

Then I get the news that Michael Jackson has died.

The I get the news that Max Mosley has arisen from the dead to once again try to kill F1!

13. m0tion said on 26th June 2009, 1:41

di Montezemolo was wrong and is untrustworthy in terms of the anti trust issues that threaten the sport’s and the independent teams viability. For many contributors here, if you want to play Max the man fine but many here too ignore the substance of the FIA vs FOTA issues every time. Ferrari have an exclusive position among the manufacturers that leverages the amount of money they can tip into F1 due to their brand positioning and the tifosi support, they will naturally be implaccably opposed to reduced spending or any equality in resources being brought to bear which in turn means that Ferrari want to be unchallengeable. Even Mercedes needs to temper their spending and consider their wider non sporting dependent brand just as they did way back in the 50’s when they pulled the silver cars out.

• VXR said on 26th June 2009, 1:56

All of this will become clear in time.;)

• Journeyer said on 26th June 2009, 2:09

“In short if those Mosley haters here want the Schu years back just keep voting the way you are.”

If LDM and Max had any deal, that’s almost definitely gone now after his tantrum today. So why would I still want Max to stay?

• Martin said on 26th June 2009, 2:56

Ferrari has been in the sport forever, they have been in it thru good and bad seasons. I have seen ferraris be at the back of the grid and they still showed up for every race. They never made excuses and pulled the little temper tantrums the michelin teams did in Indy 2006. When it was Bad for ferrari they stuck it out.
      What a team spends to be competitive should be their business and no one elses.
      By the way Mercedes sales have skyrockets in the years since they came back into motorsports officially. Their cars look and perform better than ever. I never considered owning a Mercedes in the non racing years. Then I owned BMW’s.
      Luca may shouldnt have said what he did but Max abd Bernie have been rattling off insults since last year at some of the players. Some of these folks have thin skin you know.
      By the way, I am not a ferrari fan. I do respect them team though.

• Max’s proposals would have had everyone disqualified at the end of 2010. Better the Schumi years than the nobody-at-all years…

14. Kasper said on 26th June 2009, 2:12

Its just Max posturing. The irony is, for once, he doesnt want to look like the one getting spanked.

15. Martin said on 26th June 2009, 2:49

I voted yesterday that the deal was bad for F1…and now I see I was right again. I think I was wrong 1 time before but that was a mistake also.
    Seriously, this guyis the epitome of a power monger. Somebody made a George Bush reference in here but this guy make Idi Amin look rational. If this doesnt make Fota say the heck with it and go it own their own, nothing will.
    If the teams were smart, which most have proved their not then they would shutdown the rest of the season ubtil Max is gone for good and Barred from ever having anything to do in Motorosports again.
    He just wont go away.
    As much as Ron Dennis dissapointed me, he was right about Max.