New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley is fuming over 'grossly insulting' claims he was a 'dictator'

Max Mosley has sent a stinging letter to Luca di Montezemolo, accusing the FOTA and Ferrari boss of describing him as a “dictator” and giving inaccurate information to the press following the deal reached yesterday.

Mosley has demanded FOTA “correct false statements” and issue and apology or else he will “consider my options open” regarding his future as FIA president. Here’s the letter in full:

Dear Luca,

We made a deal yesterday in Paris to end the recent difficulties in Formula One. A fundamental part of this was that we would both present a positive and truthful account to the media. I was therefore astonished to learn that FOTA had been briefing the press that Mr Boeri had taken charge of Formula One, something which you know is completely untrue; that I have been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.

Furthermore, you have suggested to the media that I was a “dictator”, an accusation which is grossly insulting to the 26 members of the World Motor Sports Council who have discussed and voted all the rules and procedures of Formula One since the 1980s, not to mention the representatives of the FIA’s 122 countries who have democratically endorsed everything Iand my World Motor Sport Council colleagues have done during the last 18 years.

If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions. You must correct the false statements which have been made and make no further such statements. You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon.

Formula One is run entirely by our 5-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula One once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday.

However, given your and FOTA’s deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now onsider my options open. At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. After that it is the FIA members clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA.

Yours sincerely,

Max Mosley

Share this post on Digg, submit it to Stumbleupon, or share it with the rest of the world using the social sites below.

156 comments on New Mosley threat over “dictator” claims puts FIA-FOTA deal in jeopardy

1 4 5 6
  1. He’s the equivalent of dried dog dung stuck to your shoe, and no matter how much you try it just won’t come off.

As Tim pointed out elsewhere FOTA left a wounded animal on the plains of F1. Now it’s turning around and biting back. FOTA need to administer the coup de grace to this lech and bury him once and for all.

He has demonstrated there can be no trust in anything he says or does, and a commitment is only valid until he has a chance to turn the situation his way. He never compromises, but has a knack for delaying and obscuring. If the members of FIA or the WMSC can’t see this then FOTA would be wise to get out of Dodge, and now.

2. Snige said on 26th June 2009, 19:13

And this from a man who called various people Loonies?!!!!

• mani said on 26th June 2009, 19:21

He is the one who defines the rules, he has rules for himself. He is allowed to insult people (not counted), and when they react he has all the rights to say “They’re insulting me, and not just me they’re insulting the FIA”. Come on Mosley, you can do better!!!

3. mani said on 26th June 2009, 19:38

Mr. Mosley,

We, the fans, watch F1 for the teams and drivers and not for you. Please don’t ruin our favorite sport. If you want to keep your pride, ego and power, keep it, but let them go (and call it as ‘you’ve saved saved the sport’).

Of course, your point is valid, by starting a breakaway series they will destroy the name F1 (but the sport will always live in another name, as long as we watch… we know where the F1 we know will be). But, by not letting them out, you’re killing both the sport (not just the name) and the teams – already it is a half success. We don’t want to see that.

Please accept that you’re behind the power, if you’re not you could have solved it in much better way long ago. Please, for gods sake, let the sport live.

with frustration,
    the real victims

— someone please send it to him, I don’t have his address :)

• mani said on 26th June 2009, 19:43

I was thinking, what would I write if I had to write a personal letter to Mr. Mosley in a good weekend mood… that was posted above.

I also had thought about, what a I would write to him when I’m in a rotten office mood. But, I think I can’t post that here :)

4. jockmcspredder said on 26th June 2009, 19:42

Let this unhinged man have his way, get on with setting up the new series and leave him to have his petty arguments with himself when there are no F1 teams “under” his dictatorship, sorry, don’t mention that word!

5. jonny said on 26th June 2009, 20:18

hes like aids, you cant get rid of him!

6. HounslowBusGarage said on 26th June 2009, 20:25

I wonder if the bit about a manufacturer lobbying him about banning the double diffuser is actually true? Which manufacturer might it have been?
    I wonder why Max and Luca fell out?
    As Mani posted earlier, this looks like Max’s intention of saying “FIA and Formula 1 are in such a state that it would be irresponsible of me to retire now!” And go for re-election.

• VXR said on 26th June 2009, 20:41

I wonder why Max and Luca fell out?

Someone trying to use their ‘technical veto’ in an under-hand way d’ya think.LOL

7. Hallard said on 26th June 2009, 20:55

How can Max be such a hypocrite? Many of his statements regarding FOTA have been far more insulting than what he is accusing them of. The real issue here is that the media already had their pre-formed opinions about max before the WMSC meeting. You cant blame FOTA for voicing their perception and the media taking it to the extreme. If he doesnt want to be called a dictator, he SHOULDNT ACT LIKE ONE!

8. Here is how I hope it plays out. After Max’s latest outburst FOTA withdraw from F1 2010 and re-announce their intention for a breakaway new series. Rejoining FIA F1 will be possible on one condition only: The FIA terminate Max’s tenure immediately and unconditionally.

Game over, good bye Max!

• HounslowBusGarage said on 26th June 2009, 22:50

I don’t think it will come to that George, because there is one party who stands to lose a lot more than either Max or FOTA. Bernie.
      The diminutive Mr E has been paddling like mad under the water’s surface recently to bring a raproachement between the two battling parties. At the moment, Bernie thinks he’s survived and he will not allow anyone – even Max – to disturb that.
      I think FOTA have continued to arrange their own series, just in case, and will allow Bernie to understand how well advanced their plans are. At which point Bernie will persuade Max to shut up.
      Max seems to be in pursuit of his own personal Gotterdammerung, and I keep thinking of one of the first comments here wherein someone said that great men never plan their exits well. That’s just like saying politician’s careers always end in defeat. They never understand when it’s time to go gracefully.

• VXR said on 27th June 2009, 12:35

I hope that happens too! LOL

Rejoining FIA F1 will be possible on one condition only:

So they ‘have to join’ the FIA then ?

The FIA terminate Max’s tenure immediately and unconditionally.

Only the member groups of the FIA can do that,and only then in October.

9. 1994fanatic said on 27th June 2009, 3:05

Hey Max is right he’s not a dictator. The dictionary Websters to be precise has a picture of Mr. Mad Max Mosely, I prefer the 4M’s.. much easier, right in the dictionary he was under dicktator. Silly old bag hasn’t realized he’s lost his head.

10. Gigante said on 27th June 2009, 4:51

Oh God, shut up Mosley! Seriously, can this get any more ridiculous?

11. Tim said on 27th June 2009, 5:34

can’t they just throw Max out of the sport right now?

• VXR said on 27th June 2009, 12:36

can’t they just throw Max out of the sport right now?

No.It’s a bit more complicated than that!

12. Maksutov said on 27th June 2009, 11:22

I believe that FOTA need to make backup plans just in case, until officially Mosley is removed by force and humiliated to death. Because clearly Mosley is mentally disturbed and has lost all counts for reality and life and belongs in a mental institution.

Ferrari or FOTA have nothing to apologize.

The FIA governing body (as a body and not one person) should explain what is happening. I still do not see anyone else doing the talking except for Mosley. For example I would love to see what the FIA vice president has to say and the FIA council have so say, or any other members of the FIA. If the whole FIA organization feel the same as Mosley, in that they dont know what they are doing and can not come to terms with reality and are changing their opinion every day, then there is no point in playing these ridiculous games with FIA, and FOTA should continue with breakaway plans.

If however the World Motor Sport council was a part player of the latest agreements issued on Wednesday, then anything Mosley does from now on will be worse for him, there is nothing Mosley can do. Instead, if this continues, the FIA could be voted out and lose their right to be a governing body rather then F1 being destroyed. what is beyond belief is that no other member of FIA are objecting to Mosley ridiculous actions – either they are not allowed to talk or they all think the same as Mosley.

• VXR said on 27th June 2009, 12:43

The 26 members of the WMSC voted ‘for’ the 2010 FIA ‘budget cap’ regulations 24 to 2 (!)

They had their say! So maybe they all think the same as Mosley ?

The FIA cannot be “voted out”.

1 4 5 6