Mark Webber finally wins an F1 race

One hundred and thirty starts and a finally a winner

One hundred and thirty starts and a finally a winner

It’s been a long wait, but today Mark Webber finally became a Grand Prix winner.

Webber has ended the longest ever wait for a Grand Prix driver to score his first win, finally breaking his duck after 130 attempts (plus two non-starts).

The previous record holder was Rubens Barrichello, who took 124 attempts to lodge his first win. That was also in Germany – at the Hockenheimring – in 2000.

The four other drivers who took more than 100 starts to score their maiden wins are all racing in F1 today:

Rubens Barrichello – 124 (2000 German Grand Prix)
Jarno Trulli – 117 (2004 Monaco Grand Prix)
Jenson Button – 113 (2006 Hungarian Grand Prix)
Giancarlo Fisichella – 110 (2003 Brazilian Grand Prix)

Webber is the first Australian to win a Grand Prix since Alan Jones won the 1981 United States Grand Prix at Las Vegas for Williams. (This was also the last Grand Prix before I was born!)

That was supposed to be Jones’s final appearance in an F1 car, but he made two subsequent (unsuccessful) comebacks with Arrows in 1983 and Lola, in 1985-6.

Earlier this year Webber became the Australian driver to have started the most races, surpassing Sir Jack Brabham’s record of 126 starts. Brabham won the 1959, 1960 and 1966 world championships, and 14 Grands Prix.

Between them, these three drivers account for all of Australia’s 27 Grand Prix wins. They are tenth in the all-time list of most victorious Grand Prix nations, behind the United States, with 33.

Webber’s last major win was in F3000 in the French round at Magny-Cours in 2001. Also racing that day were future F1 drivers Justin Wilson (third), Enrique Bernoldi (fourth), Franck Montagny (seventh), Sebastien Bourdais (tenth), Tomas Enge (13th), Stephane Sarrazin (19th) and Christijan Albers (DNF).

Read more: Mark Webber biography

75 comments on Mark Webber finally wins an F1 race

1. Ollie said on 15th July 2009, 16:53

I think that Webber should have been disqualified and called up on the carpet for his action. There was a time when F1 was a gentlemen’s sport but that obviously has changed. I now have reason to wonder after 50 years if I’m going to follow this ‘sport’ any longer.

• karne said on 16th July 2009, 7:46

For goodness’ sake, he couldn’t see him! He had no idea Rubens was there! How the hell is that a disqualifiable offence?!

And shall we mention that it was Rubens, who everyone seems to have victimized, that cost Mark any chance of a decent finish in Australia – and it wasn’t even investigated?

• you have seriously got to get off the drugs man , gentlemans sport lol, thats tennis dude, every driver out there hate losing if they didnt they would not be there get a grip on reality man

2. Ollie said on 16th July 2009, 19:23

Well I guess that you guys set me straight. For years I’ve been trying to understand why anyone would hold Senna and Schumacher in esteem and now I understand. Perhaps your new hero will give them a run for their rudeness. Given that Jim Clark remains my F1 hero I guess that F1 has passed me by so it’s time for me to move along. Enjoy the carnage my friends as Mr. Webber will surely succeed at killing someone one day given what I witnessed in this race.

• Tom said on 17th July 2009, 4:33

haha, yoou make me laugh. you should pursue a career in stand up comdedy. like carl baron, you could exaggerate observations. i see the talent already.

• Humility Reigns said on 17th July 2009, 21:49

Ollie, I for one agree with you entirely then again I try to be open-minded. Don’t get trapped into debating with arrogant and condescending colony youth that frequent this blog.

3. Gman said on 16th July 2009, 20:46

Great deal- I’m most happy for Mark. Hopefully he’ll get a few more over the course of the season.

4. Mark Webber is simply amazing.He won the race in style.This is his first race win in his long Formula 1 career with 133 races which started with Minardi in 2002. He is now a Grand Prix winner.For more details refer http://www.dailysportsnews.org/formula-1-mark-webber-takes-first-career-victory/

5. scott said on 8th December 2009, 5:48

I dont think many of you know webber well if you watch barachalos onbord camera these thing happen

1. webber checks mirrors
    2. move over 1m
    3. checks mirrors again
    4. hit rubens and instantly backs off

its quite clear this is a classic case of the car being in the blind spot

even i am suprised somtimes when i check my mirros and then a car come out of no were. and this is a 70km/h on the road let alone a race track at 100+ kmph