Henry Surtees dies after F2 crash

I’ve just heard the terrible news that Henry Surtees, son of former F1 champion John Surtees, died today following a crash in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch. He was 18 years old.

The accident happened in the second of the day’s F2 races. Surtees’ crash helmet struck a wheel which had been lost by another car, which is believed to have knocked him unconscious. His car ran straight on at the next bend, Sheene Corner, and into the barriers.

Formula 2 was re-formed this season having been wound up at the end of 1984. The Brands Hatch rounds were the fifth and sixth races in this year’s championship.

The single-specification cars are built by Williams and the championship is run by ex-F1 racer Jonathan Palmer, who also owns Brands Hatch. Palmer’s son Jolyon races in the championship, as well as Martin Brundle’s son Alex.

My thoughts are with Henry’s family at this terrible time.

55 comments on Henry Surtees dies after F2 crash

1. The sri lankan said on 23rd July 2009, 1:05

R.I.P henry.

2. Tan S Lake said on 25th July 2009, 17:51

Truly upsetting….. It’s just sad that despite all the new technology, the brilliant crash safety systems, a simple matter of a loose object hitting the driver can cause this….. At the Hungaroring qualifying for F1 earlier today, a harrowingly similar thing happened to Felipe Massa….. A piece of debris hit him on the helmet and seemed to concuss him….. Thank God he’s alright…..

Ironic though, isn’t it, that most people will hear and worry over Massa’s injury, not knowing, nor caring that Henry Surtees has left the world, when he was given an extremely capable safety system, undone by something so simple?….. I agree with the need to have closed cockpits…..

It’s an inherent problem with motorsports, the danger that comes with it. But safety has improved to an unrecognisable level from the 60′s and 70′s, when this young man’s father lived….. Yet Henry, not John, was the one to die in the cockpit….. In his father’s day, death was a regular feature of motorsport….. In Formula 1, there have been no deaths since 1994….. 15 years….. That was once unimaginable…..

R.I.P Henry

3. flyboy60 said on 25th July 2009, 21:13

Terrible weekend for Formula racing. My prayers are with families of both drivers. It’s beens so long since on track tragedies that we forget the inherent dangers in this sport. Let’s hope that these were isolated incidents and that the remaining races of the year are injury free.

4. João Matias said on 26th July 2009, 15:35

I was stunned when I knew. I feel sorry for his family… My deepest condolences

5. Jarek said on 27th July 2009, 13:37

R.I.P. HENRY

6. Neel said on 30th July 2009, 9:08

Very sad news for the world of motorsports.

My deepest condolences to his family.

RIP Henry

7. Anonymous said on 31st July 2009, 15:15

R.I.P Henry.

Really Sad for his family, hope his family members would get over it, they are a really honoured and respectable family.

Within the past few races, quite a few accidents have occured, hope less accidents would occur in future, and the safety measures will be taken..

Deepest condolences