New Abu Dhabi F1 track video

Here’s a new video preview of the Yas Island circuit which will host this year’s F1 season finale.

Big thanks to Guio Oblepias who sent the link in and writes:

I found it on a forum for CG artists and apparently it was leaked by someone working for a firm commissioned by the GP organizers. As such, it’s professionally done and much better-looking than the video of the rFactor sim you posted last month as well as game on the circuit’s official website. It shows cars racing around the circuit along with the unique features of the track like the runoff area under the grandstands and the underground pit exit. It gives you a great feel of what the racing might be like come November.

See here for an earlier video lap of Abu Dhabi F1 circuit.

More about the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

45 comments on New Abu Dhabi F1 track video

1. PrisonerMonkeys said on 21st July 2009, 7:54

I have to admit: I am actually looking forward to Abu Dhabi. I think it could actually produce a surprise at the end of the season, though I think the championship will be decided at Brazil by the latest.

- Firstly, the architecture around the place. It looks like something Ken Adam might have designed for a James Bond film, especially the bubble-wrap hotel. I like the undercover run-off areas because it looks like the grandstands can be closer to the circuit.

- Secondly, it’s the fourth circuit on the calendar run to an anti-clockwise configuration, and the second in succession. I don’t know how much of an impact it has on the drivers in terms of performace, but I imagine that when coupled with Brazil, it could take a lot out of the drivers. Especially if the last few rounds before it are hard-fought for the championship.

- Thirdly, it’s got a little big of everything. The first section of the lap looks pretty fast and flowing up to the hairpin, and the spacing of the corners is such that a missed apex early in the succession could ruin things for a driver up to the straights.

- Fourthly, the back section. Called it standard Tilke fare if you will, but I think Abu Dhabi could have Formula One’s answer to the Mulsanne. Le Mans cars used to run flat out for thirty seconds every three and a half minutes as they took on that mighty straight and I find it significant that drivers take the fastest section of the circuit, slow down for the little switchbacks and then accelerate again to the second-fastest section of the circuit and weigh anchor for the bottom corner. If engines are at the end of their life cycle, this section could really stress them.

- Finally, the last section. Sure, it looks like an endless sequence of ninety-degree bends, but once again they’re evenly spaced with the odd faster or opening corner thrown in just to make sure the drivers are paying attention, and then the final corner is the tightest in the section. It gives the drivers little chance to rest, and I really think that Abu Dhani could be a race of atrition as a long and stressful season winds down.

2. jenson fan said on 21st July 2009, 8:32

75 PERCENT I GIVE….LOOKS A BIT LIKE THE STADIUM SECTION AT HOCKENHEIMRING…

3. stjoslin said on 21st July 2009, 8:52

Hard to tell from the video but the track looks quite narrow.

4. CovertGiblets said on 21st July 2009, 8:57

The circuit looks to be an exciting prospect. I’ve often wondered why run off areas aren’t designed underneath grandstand sections, seems obvious to me. The fans get closer to the action and safety aspects are still satisfied.

I would imagine the spectacle of F1 car(s), out of control, thundering towards you will be fantastic!

I only hope it doesn’t turn out to be another ‘Turkey’ (pun intended :-)) If they can fill the grandstands then I think the future looks good.

I agree with PrisonerMonkeys that the season will probably be over by then… but you never know.

5. Steve said on 21st July 2009, 9:07

What a great looking cgi video, looks really good (sorry to go off at a tangent, i work in cgi).

Anyway….Abu Dhabi is definately raising a few eye brows, hope it doesn’t get over hyped though.

• pSynrg said on 21st July 2009, 13:35

It’s ok, nothing special though is it? High-end PCs would be able to render most of this in realtime – maybe even at 60fps…

• You’re mistaken pSynrg. Most CGI is rendered with high level ray tracing. Current graphics cards can not run even overly optimized ray tracing beyond about 10 fps. And that’s even with a workstation graphics card.

Also, a lot of CGI is generated with high polygonal modeling, and NURBS. Very different than low polygonal modeling with normal mapping.

(I am a game developer and 3d modeler.)

• pSynrg said on 23rd July 2009, 13:37

You would know then Elliott that this could still be rendered in realtime on a high-end PC – assuming of course that all the usual tricks are employed in order to achieve a high frame rate with an illusion of raytracing and complex high polygonal models. Especially with the latest generation of video cards with hardware tesselation, sophisticated geometry instancing and massive numbers of shaders faking it…
          I understand the nature of raytracing and if this demo is indeed (fully) raytraced then it’s a pretty poor effort. Although certainly more impressive than the recent rFactor demo :)

6. David said on 21st July 2009, 9:18

The video is great…but the track to me is not that exciting.
    No major gradients, no technical challenges (say S curves at Suzuka, or Ascari or Parabolica bends, Maggott, Eau Rouge).
    Some quick sequence corners, but not fast enough to me. The classical Tilkodrome with no fantasy and no really original sections. Hope I’m wrong, I’ll be the first to say that I got the wrong impression…but…

7. TommyB said on 21st July 2009, 9:48

Great video but the crowd are wrong. Crowd like that are at Silverstone/Magny Cours/Montreal.

I bet at Abu Dhabi the grandstands are almost empty and there are about 4 yacht’s in the harbour

• Bartholomew said on 21st July 2009, 14:29

Thats what I thought.
      Sheik Osama al Salami will have to fill in, with paid men picked off the street, a few areas of some grandstands, and have the cameras only pointing there.
      It doesent matter if the rest is empty if you dont see it on TV.

First things first.

• Wesley said on 21st July 2009, 18:24

“All this work is admirable, but not at the expense of the GP of France and Germany.
        First things first.”

…and North America…places that have rich racing heritage and where people actually show up to watch races!

• Bartholomew said on 21st July 2009, 22:24

I apologise for being so picky and negative.This story in particular is about the pride that the racetrack promoters have in their achievements.
        The track and infrstructures look great – congratulations for a work well done.
        And the video is dinamite !

• Matt said on 21st July 2009, 15:23

+1 my reaction too :(

8. LewisC said on 21st July 2009, 10:28

Looks interesting. Can’t quite work out the ‘underground’ pit exit though – is it a tunnel?

Also I’m not sure that F1 needs ‘interesting’ tracks – that way Trackmania lies. It needs better tracks and better crowds. Silverstone, for example.

• PrisonerMonkeys said on 21st July 2009, 10:36

The pit lane is on the outside of the circuit. The pit exit is on the infield. The cars dip down and go under the circuit to rejoin.

And given that everything from The Vale to Woodcote is chicanery, I’d hardly describe Silverstone as being a “better” circuit.

• TommyB said on 21st July 2009, 11:03

Sounds cool. Maybe Singapore coud do something like it to sort out its dangerous pit entry

• PrisonerMonkeys said on 21st July 2009, 13:45

The solution they came up with isn’t too bad. It could probably do with some extending back down the staright before turn twenty-three so that the cars are fully in the lane before the corner; dipping under is expensive and probably restricted by the geography of the thing. Since it’s right on the foreshore, there isn’t really anywhere to go.

9. David said on 21st July 2009, 11:02

Prisoner, I don’t think the complex at Silverstone is chicanery…the Bridge and Priory are fast corners, Luffield is slow but very long and difficult.

Anyway, taste is taste.

10. TommyB said on 21st July 2009, 11:11

I will never complain about boring run off again after seeing Surtees accident in the F2 :( RIP

• pSynrg said on 21st July 2009, 13:36

Or Ayrton, Roland etc.

• matt said on 21st July 2009, 15:05

I think the cuse the the initial hit by the wheel though, the runoff seemed to be alright

• matt said on 21st July 2009, 15:06

wow, that made no sense.

I think the cause was the initial impact by the wheel though. I don’t think the runoff was an issue.

• TommyB said on 21st July 2009, 17:55

Yeah but I guess if there was decent run off the car that crashed would have stayed away and the wheel wouldn’t have bounced back onto the circuit

11. Hakka said on 21st July 2009, 12:01

The circuit isn’t too bad actually.

There are two long straights separated by a slow chicane complex. If someone gets a tow on the first straight and passes under braking but gets out of shape through the chicanes and is too slow to get on the gas again, the position can be retaken in the following straight. We might see some interesting position swapping reasonably frequently.

12. iceshiel said on 21st July 2009, 12:44

i too am looking forward to the two consecutive straights. not keeping my hopes too high though.

13. sato113 said on 21st July 2009, 12:55

as long as the atmosphere’s good and a sell out. (ie. like brazil)

14. Zazeems said on 21st July 2009, 14:06

I’m sorry but to me it just looks like another TilkeDrome: Flat, Slow, Wide Soul-less.

15. Brian said on 21st July 2009, 15:56

the track looks nice, but I don’t agree with it. There are thousands of starving children in that part of world, and yet they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a race track! Its disgusting. I don’t that F1 fans should even support the race. I bet at least half of the money made there is going into B.E’s pocket and the rest is going to terrorist organizations.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 21st July 2009, 20:24

While I agree with the sentiment, if they weren’t spending money on this they wouldn’t be spending it on hungry children instead.
      So it doesn’t actually make any difference.

• The U.A.E. does not have a good track record in their treatment of manual labourers, yes, but starving children?

• pSynrg said on 23rd July 2009, 19:29

Hey Brian, maybe it will all become better if you were to move to Spain with a few tins of shoe polish…