Hungarian Grand Prix grid (updated)

1. Fernando Alonso, Renault – 1’21.569
14. Nelson Piquet Jnr, Renault – 1’21.389
15. Nick Heidfeld, BMW – 1’21.738
16. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India-Mercedes – 1’21.807
17. Adrian Sutil, Force India-Mercedes – 1’21.868
18. Robert Kubica, BMW – 1’21.901
19. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso-Ferrari – 1’22.369

Felipe Massa, who qualified tenth, will not start following his crash in Q2. The cars behind him will move up the grid as per article 36.3 of the sporting regulations (“If one or more cars are withdrawn the grid will be closed up accordingly.”)

Update: Alonso very light and Button heavy with fuel (Hungarian Grand Prix fuel loads)

27 comments on Hungarian Grand Prix grid (updated)

1. LewisC said on 25th July 2009, 14:38

4th is a great result for Hamilton. I expect him to be first around the first corner with Kers assistance. I’m not his biggest fan but it would be good to see him win tomorrow.

2. Certainly the weirdest qualifying I’ve seen.

3. gwenouille said on 25th July 2009, 14:42

Nakajima and Trulli are not Renault drivers ;-)

Disappointed by Buttons 8th place… A disaster for Brawn.

I hope Massa is fine !

4. gwenouille said on 25th July 2009, 14:52

I can’t wait to see the fuel loads.
    Button 1 sec slower than Alonso or Vettel ? wow…
    Is he on a 1 stop strategy after last GP’s miserable 3-stops-strategy :-)

5. adz2193 said on 25th July 2009, 15:02

That was an incredible qualifying. Looks like that’s it for Piquet, qualifying 15th in a car that can take pole position just isn’t acceptable. Although I wonder who can replace him and do any better =/

• Tom said on 25th July 2009, 15:07

my thoughts exactly

• FLIG said on 25th July 2009, 18:09

Piquet has never driven the same car as Alonso so far. The nose and front wing he was carrying today are still an older version of Alonso’s.

• gabal said on 25th July 2009, 18:49

Romain Grossjean is a shoe-in for his seat. He is fast and French – a great combination for Renault. We shall see can he do a better job then Piquet but frankly, he is the worst driver on the current grid (ok, Alguersari excluded, he is an unknown factor).

6. pSynrg said on 25th July 2009, 15:08

The only reason I didn’t want Alonso on pole was so that Eddie Jordan wouldn’t go on about his amazing prediction ad infinitum.
    I’ll make a prediction now then – Alonso is the lightest car.
    Losing the timing there was annoying but worth it for the confusion amongst the drivers at the end – especially Jenson’s exclamation at Alonso’s time.
    I just hope Lewis went for the long game and fuelled strategically for a chance at the podium!

7. Tom said on 25th July 2009, 15:10

i reckon alonso’s running light to get the early advantage given that overtaking is pretty well impossible. i think the red bulls will be fuelled longer so should benefit after the first round of pit stops.i can’t imagine alonso flying off down the road though so hopefuly vettel and webber can stay in touch. hamilton could play a significant role as well. good to see button down the grid a bit (for red bull that is)…

8. Wow not sure if I am right but I think I was the only one to predict Alonso on Pole in the pre-race prediction :)

Going to be an interesting race, I think I saw the Red Bulls slipping with the super softs on their second hot lap. Tyre management might determine the race!

9. adz2193 said on 25th July 2009, 15:39

I’m guessing Renault have fuelled Alonso light in the hope that other cars, particularly Red Bulls, will get held up by the Mclarens and possibly Kimi with the KERS. Also looks like Webber is in a better position than Vettel due to the grippier side of the grid, and Rosberg from 5th. It’s almost guaranteed that Hamilton will get ahead of Vettel at the start though. Just shows how difficult the strategy is for the non-KERS teams now

• roser said on 25th July 2009, 17:17

Alonso said that he is probably going to lose some positions at the start and that he was light

10. Eric said on 25th July 2009, 15:58

If Massa can not race and Ferrari is allowed to replace him, who is their test driver?

• roser said on 25th July 2009, 16:22

I think Marc Gené, but not sure

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th July 2009, 17:00

Massa will not start and Ferrari are not allowed to replace him (unless the stewards agree it is force majeure circumstances, which I’m not sure has ever happened before).

• mkh1 said on 25th July 2009, 17:09

I think the reserve driver has to undergo qualifying in order to start the race so Gene or Bedoer can’t race tomorrow.

Keith I’ve never heard of the force majeure rule, but I guess that could be because it’s never been used.

11. Daniel said on 25th July 2009, 17:10

that looks really really really sore

when does the weights come out?

what time usually

12. Paige said on 25th July 2009, 17:11

Hope Massa comes out of this ok, but why wouldn’t Ferrari run the car with the reserve driver? Is the car that badly damaged they can’t repair it, or are they doing it out of respect for Massa?

13. Patrickl said on 25th July 2009, 18:40

Alrighty, the weigths are in.

Alonso on 637.5kg. Utterly pathetic. Hope he gets stuck in midfield so he can whine about how his race was ruined by someone else.

Button pretty heavy at 664.5kg. Would he do a stop less than the others?

The rest weighs in between 650 and 655.

14. They should put JV (he’s at the track)in the Ferrari….oh the drama ,diving for his Dad’s old team , a lot better then this Max an B.E. show