Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

We had only just begun talking about who might replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari and now it has been confirmed:

Michael Schumacher will return to Formula 1 in the European Grand Prix driving alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Schumacher said on his official website:

I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this challenge.

Schumacher will be racing the F60 – a car he has never driven – at the Circuito Urbano Valencia – a track he hasn’t raced on before.

Last year’s European Grand Prix was derided as a boring procession. I fancy we might have something rather more interesting to talk about in three-and-a-half weeks’ time.

Saddened though we all have been by Massa’s crash – and relieved at his continued recuperation – it will be a thrill to see Schumacher up against the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

More on Michael Schumacher

317 comments on Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

1. sato113 said on 29th July 2009, 19:02

it will be until massa is fit again which could be spa or monza. would LOVE to seee schumi race at Spa again- a track he knows and loves.

• spanky the wonder monkey said on 30th July 2009, 10:50

i’d be very very surprised to see massa back for spa. fractured skulls don’t fix themselves that quickly. then there’s bound to be follow up medical approvals based on the blow to the head. may be wrong, but gut feeling says we won’t see FM back to race spec for at least 2 months, if not the remainder of the season.

2. TMAX said on 29th July 2009, 19:04

WOOOW…..I cant Wait till 23rd……….

Though personally thrilled to see him in a F1 racer again. It is also not the best idea Once you have stopped at the healm of the sport with a spectacular year. He should not leave behind any unsuccessful tastes later on.

The problem for Kimi, Massa, Montzemelo and Domencilli would be if he goes on to win a race. They will look bad for various reasons in their shoes.

3. Pedro Andrade said on 29th July 2009, 19:08

Hey, has anyone noticed a big team quit the sport today? ;)

4. Sei said on 29th July 2009, 19:11

oh my god!

…It’s going to be interesting if he does better than kimi!

5. GQsm said on 29th July 2009, 19:13

I am very surprised, I have to wonder why he bothered retiring if he’s not going to stick to it.
    Quiting while still at the top with his health fully intact and F1 records held aloft seemed an intelligent decision to me. A lot of sportsmen fail in that area and quit only when there are people better than themselves or their fitness/health has deteriorated, either way their glory days don’t shine so bright as they exit.

Saying that, for me he was F1’s greatest driver and I expect a high level of excitement and expectation with him back in F1, so personally it should be entertaining even if I think he is doing the wrong thing.

Him and Hamilton battling could make for an interesting sight with both capable of being über aggressive.

Role on Valencia

6. Top 5 teams for 2010?

Ferrari – Alonso, Shuey?? nah! ??? Kubica?
    Maclaren – Hamilton, Rosberg
    Red Bull – Vettel, Webber
    Brawn – Button, Senna
    Renault – Kubica/Heidfeld, Grosjean

• skuzz said on 29th July 2009, 20:08

Rosberg wont be going to Mclaren! far to over rated! the rest of those sound good though… dont forget we have 3 more teams coming into F1 at the end of the year and i think they’ll be looking at getting some experience on side…

Toyota are leaving 2 dont forget. i wouldn’t be surprised if heikki is still there next year even though he’s rubbish!

• Williams 4ever said on 30th July 2009, 10:52

heikki is still there next year even though he’s rubbish!

– Are you McLaren Strategist to make that comment:-? The World knows, his car gets developments later than Lewis’s car and not to mention qualification fuel Compromise he has over Lewis every Q3 segment of Qualifiers.

I Guess they must be leaving you out of those discussions

• skuzz said on 30th July 2009, 16:00

no matter who gets the updates heikki is rubbish! you no it as well as i do! look at last years WDC where was heikki when hamilton had a ferrari breathing down his neck? oh yeah i forgot either he was walking back to the pits or fighting a redbull in 7th and now im talking about when he had the exact same car.

7. Chaz said on 29th July 2009, 19:14

Great stuff. I wonder what Kimi thinks…

• SaloolaS said on 29th July 2009, 20:28

He doesn’t care about it

• Hallard said on 29th July 2009, 21:16

You mean you wonder what Kimi’s pre-programmed response is? Im pretty sure he’s a cyborg…

• Kherubim said on 30th July 2009, 3:00

He’s probably off somewhere, having a “s***”.

How would having Schumi in the car help raise the game for the entire team? He’s been there in an advisor capacity and that didn’t seem to help them much last year.

I think he would probably do not much better than Kimi (i.e. middle of top ten during qualy and scoring points)

8. LynnD said on 29th July 2009, 19:15

This is the craziest day in F1 for many years… cannot WAIT to see Schumi up against Kimi, Lewis and (hopefully) Jenson and Alonso.

What a day!?!

9. TMAX said on 29th July 2009, 19:16

I guess Valencia might not miss Fernando much now as all the attention would be on Schuey…. Even BMW would lack the attention there.

10. Bartholomew said on 29th July 2009, 19:16

The Kaiser is back !
    this is really exciting

• IDR said on 29th July 2009, 19:36

Well, I think should be more appropiate to say: Grand Pa is coming back!

(Despite his age, he’s still “the kaiser”) :-)

11. S Hughes said on 29th July 2009, 19:17

As much as a lot of F1 fans are wetting themselves about this, and sensational news as it is, to be realistic the guy is 40, has neck problems from an injury sustained earlier in the year, hasn’t driven the F60 and hasn’t tested for a year. I reckon a few people might be a bit disappointed. I don’t think anyone will knock him for coming back though whatever the result because it’s quite a brave thing to do.

… And then again, he may just blow the field away. I hope he bites Lewis’ dust though!

12. holy moly!

13. Hakka said on 29th July 2009, 19:21

Well, well, well, this season is shaping up to be quite exciting after all. I don’t quite understand Ferrari’s goals with this move, but there it is. How fortunate that he has longer than usual to prepare.

Kimi probably doesn’t give a hoot. His problem though, is that even if he beats Michael, it’ll be because the latter isn’t in training. But if Kimi happens to end behind him in a couple of races it just will not look good at all. It’s a lose-lose for Raikkonen. He’ll also have to face the inevitable media questions :)

14. Toro said on 29th July 2009, 19:24

Now this is interesting stuff. I think this might be extra motivation for the team having Schumacher back. Lets hope he doesn’t spoil the fun and make it his 8th title:)
    That was just a joke but now I’am wondering has F1 ever seen eight consecutive wins?
    Hope we will not be disappointed after Valencia.

15. Shagrathian said on 29th July 2009, 19:25

Lewis has nothing to lose!
    Schumi has nothing to lose!
    Kimi has nothing to lose!
    Alonso has… Never think that i miss Alonso. :p
    It’s gonne be awesome! Can’t wait to see!

• Casino Square said on 29th July 2009, 19:40

Could it be that the race for the championship will just be a distraction from the battle of the champions? I’m so excited… damn this 4 week break!

• JoeB said on 29th July 2009, 20:56

It’s just a shame that the first race with MS back is the awfully boring Valencia track. But I guess that will give him a little car experience before Spa. Now THAT should be an exciting race . . . .

16. mfDB said on 29th July 2009, 19:30

Great choice by Ferrari!! I don’t see any of the other options making better sense or being as much fun.

Ferrari and Kimi are not in the hunt for titles, and anyone else they could have put in the car (except DC) would be fighting for the seat. This choice is the most respectful thing to do for Massa too, because Shumi will race, and then gracefully give Massa his seat back whenever that time comes.

I don’t think this will make Shumi look bad either, as some of you have posted. “7 time WDC fills in for his prodege after major crash” – just makes him look good, no matter the results.

17. Casino Square said on 29th July 2009, 19:37

It hardly seems massively important but I’m a statto so I’ll say it anyway… Schumi will be the 6th German on the grid. There’ll only be 18 cars on the grid at Valencia. A third of the drivers will be German! Schnell schnell, das regenmeister ist sehr gut!

18. Toro said on 29th July 2009, 19:38

Sorry I was thinking of eight consecutive wins in races because that’s how many are left in this season:)

19. utylizator said on 29th July 2009, 19:39

good luck michael, hope you to see you on the podium in Spain.