Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

Michael Schumacher will drive Felipe Massa's Ferrari in Valencia

We had only just begun talking about who might replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari and now it has been confirmed:

Michael Schumacher will return to Formula 1 in the European Grand Prix driving alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Schumacher said on his official website:

I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this challenge.

Schumacher will be racing the F60 – a car he has never driven – at the Circuito Urbano Valencia – a track he hasn’t raced on before.

Last year’s European Grand Prix was derided as a boring procession. I fancy we might have something rather more interesting to talk about in three-and-a-half weeks’ time.

Saddened though we all have been by Massa’s crash – and relieved at his continued recuperation – it will be a thrill to see Schumacher up against the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

More on Michael Schumacher

317 comments on Official: Michael Schumacher to return for Ferrari in the European Grand Prix

1. skuzz said on 29th July 2009, 19:51

ever since Lewis started in F1 myself and all of my friends have debated and wondered what it would be like watching a battle between Lewis and MS and now we might just find out!

what a strange season this is turning out to be!!! ugly cars and stupid rule changes and teams dropping out here and there…

for some reason i can see this being a turn around for F1 and bring back lots of fans who have stopped watching the sport because of the changes in the past few years.

i dont no about anyone else and i no Michael had a bad reputation but I’m very excited and i now cant wait until the next race!

• rob said on 29th July 2009, 20:42

I highly doubt schumi will be able to pick who he races against. But I think if he finds himself in around 9th or 10th, he would be in a good position to defend against a lewis attack.

2. F1Paul said on 29th July 2009, 19:52

I respect Schumi, but was glad to see him go when he did. I feel he retired at a point when he could have happily continued, so for him I’m happy. For F1 though i don’t think it’s great. The sport has done well to move on in recent years and bring in new heroes like Lewis and Vettel. This is something of a step back for formula 1.
    By the way, A street circuit is not the place to be making a comeback.

3. I don’t think this will make Shumi look bad either, as some of you have posted. “7 time WDC fills in for his prodege after major crash” – just makes him look good, no matter the results.

I completely agree. A comeback would have been a bad move, but this isn’t anything like that. I only started watching F1 after the Schumacher era (not that it eluded me), but I’m still incredibly stoked that he’ll be racing the new order the next couple of races. I have the feeling many of the drivers, in particular Hamilton and of course Vettel, will be very excited as well.

Wasn’t looking particularly forward to the European grand prix, but now… Let’s hope they let Renault race as well, now that it’s certain Alonso won’t be in a red car.

Poor BMW really didn’t get anything right this season, they can’t even quit properly. :/

4. He’s only doing this to block J Villenuve from getting the ride. Also no testing for 2 weeks,an no racing for 3,nazi rules way to go Max….now that is boring

5. James Brickles said on 29th July 2009, 19:55

I remember a MotoGP race that happened in 2006 where Troy Bayliss came back for the final race in a Ducati, and just won it

Schumi could do the same ;) (Unlikely, I know)

• adz2193 said on 29th July 2009, 23:14

Mansell came back for 2 races one year and won the season finale xD Schumy to do the same? :P

6. skuzz said on 29th July 2009, 19:56

will he have to pay for his F1 super licence still??? doe’s anyone no? i no ferrari will pay for it anyway if needed but i dont no if he’ll get one with only a month to go?! also wouldn’t he have to take some sort of test or do an amount of testing before he’ll get his super license as he’s not tested in this car and he could be a danger to the other drivers… i no he’s driven all sorts of spec F1 cars and he’ll be fine but i dont no if the FIA will see it that way!

• varun said on 29th July 2009, 22:52

If Jamie got his super licence by doing straight line tests the there is not doubt that schumi will get it.

• Thommo said on 31st July 2009, 18:16

The licence will not be a problem.
      Remember how Kimi got into F1? They gave him a super licence in 2001 in spite of the likes of FIA president Max Mosley voicing concerns over granting a F1 super license to such an inexperienced driver [Kimi had only 23 racing events to his credit] Kimi of course silenced his critics by scoring a championship point in Australia, his maiden Grand Prix.
      As for cost, who in F1 bothers about trivialities like that!

7. Chalky said on 29th July 2009, 19:56

It’s a shame for sponsorship reasons he can’t go as the Stig. :D

8. Hammad said on 29th July 2009, 20:05

Oh man, this is the best news ever! It totally makes up for the breakaway failing :D

9. Rahzam said on 29th July 2009, 20:13

What about Barichello? Will he cry again if some incident occurred with Shummi?
    Now he is in good car (if Brawn fix it in 4 weeks)

• Thommo said on 31st July 2009, 18:20

That is Ruben’s karma. He had to play second fiddle to Michael. He is now playing second fiddle to Button and it was his car off which the spring came apart and hit Felipe! Poor fellow! His best years were with Michael as his mentor, but he just did not know that!

10. Tom Watson said on 29th July 2009, 20:20

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

So long to wait, food job the ashes is there to keep me occupied

11. HounslowBusGarage said on 29th July 2009, 20:22

I wonder how Gene and Badoer feel?
    No testing, no reserve driving. No point at all.

• Chazzers said on 30th July 2009, 2:48

This is the one and only opportunity either of them had to turn the steering wheel of an F1 car this season. That has to hurt. You can’t blame Ferrari for drafting Schumacher. The choice between a 7 times world champion and two old, underused test drivers is pretty clear. Also, forgive me if this has been mentioned already, Schumi is invaluable for set up and technical input. I bet Ferrari are regarding this race as a legal test of sorts.

Am I right or am I right?

12. net.sticks said on 29th July 2009, 20:26

I just hate this guy. His Ferrari Championship wins were the most boring years from recent Formula One…
    PUAH! I hope he will make us laugh at all the races he will do. It’ll be a sweet revenge from other times…

• Chris said on 29th July 2009, 20:50

WHAT? Do you even watch the sport?
      Yes your right winning in extreme fashion is boring?!?!

SHEESH

• David A said on 29th July 2009, 23:46

Well you’re just being petty. No real justification for hating Schumacher, but you ‘just hate this guy’.

Successful drivers like him, Lewis Hamilton and others in this and other sports seem to attract snide and petty comments just for being great.

13. nolaughs84 said on 29th July 2009, 20:27

does he get the full driver’s quota for fresh engines?

and i never thought i’d ever see the day that people would say that schumi racing would be an exciting thing for f1…

• skuzz said on 29th July 2009, 20:50

i think its 8 engines per car so he’ll just take over from massa with the amount of engines.

14. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schumi vs Kimi vs Hamilton vs Vettel…etc etc…

Most watched GP of the season? Place your bets now.

I presume that Kimi currently has Michael’s old pit crew…

• Maksutov said on 30th July 2009, 7:21

Schumi will be severely disadvantaged.. with limited test time and gosh.. totally insane that he has put himself into that situation. But I think he thrives on challenges but I must say it will be lots of fun to watch

15. damjan006 said on 29th July 2009, 20:42

This is awesome !!!!! I am definitely shore that from the next GP to the end MS will score some wins. I hope CodeMasters put Michael in the new F1 game. Let the good times roll !!!!

• That’s what we are talking about a while ago by my friend. love to see MS on the 2009 F1 game.